Hello from Portland OR: pre-newbie!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Greetings!  So new I can't even claim newbie status.  Too much work, too much house, too little freedom, no van....yet. 

Thank you all for this site and these posts; reading this site is my new time-waster.  thx a lot! 

I have so many under-informed ideas; half baked plans; Amazon wish lists (essentially, everything Bob mentions).  I'm blessed/cursed with some time to plan- so more reading and perhaps some really silly questions.

The plan on the grossest level: used Nissan NV2500: professional help with insulation (including smart thoughts about anchor points, vents, holes, drains, etc) and solar and big-picture electrical.

On my own I will experiment with the living space: Bed, sink/water, cooking/heat etc....

Have wacky idea of using well-anchored adjustable wire racks on wither side of van as bed platform and high storage.... but its all just a day dream at this point!

Thank you, jj

[quote pid='203395' dateline='1464583554']
Here is my wackiest first thought.  I've seen so many fascinating builds from thrift store furniture repurposed to beautifully intricate, hand-crafted custom built to the millimeter.  My idea is to utilized Adjustable wire racks; well anchored to floor and wall.  Two 14 x 48" racks along each long side; bottom most self would support bed platform at 20" (clearing wheel wells and lots of storage underneath; bed platform would be 2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood that simply slides on top of each other to halve the bed platform and become bench couch.  I'm short, so the roughly 67" van width and 48" rack length would be an able bed. 
The rack on the driver's side would have 2-3 more shelves (my feet would be given plenty of bed room.  The rack on the Passenger side would only have 1, maybe 2 shelves at of very near the top but could have a few accessories available for such racks (swing out arms; hanging rods etc. 
Immediately in front of the driver side Rack would be the sink/ water build, possible with the kitchen area (Colman/ propane)- again, I see great flexibility the a wire rack system- one shelf can be made of a thick cutting board- with a sink cut-out.  Plumbing, electrical, gas lines can easily be threaded up and down behind rack.  Again, the racks can be secured with floor fasteners and supports to walls.  Bungee cords will secure plastic drawer systems; restrict movements; lots of tie-downs.

Thank you, jj
[/quote]

Wow, two days and no welcomes?  I have no idea where everybody is at, maybe Memorial Day activities?

I am not normally a greeter as such but let me be the first to say welcome aboard.  I am in Texas so I am not in your area.

This site a time waster?  Yes and no.  I spend way more time on here than I should because it is addictive reading to me.  There is a lot of information here.  Search the forums under the headings that interest you and ask questions.

Brian

Welcome to the CRVL forums JJPDX! So sorry we missed your intro post a couple of days ago. I know we have several members who visit or have a home base in the larger Portland/Vancouver area. Hopefully they will pipe up. If at all possible, I'd encourage you to attend an RTR. It's a great way to gather good information and make vandweller friends. Here's a link to this summer's RTR in June: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Official-Summer-RTR-Dates-June-16-26-2016. And here's a link to last winter's RTR (held every year in January): http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you, Brian!  I meant no disrespect by "Time waster."  It's all been great info, leading to good day dreams, sketches on graph paper, and equipment lists.  It'll only be "wasted" if I never move on to Action!

jj

JJPDX , welcome aboard the crazy train!

I don't think so but I have friends that used to tell me I was for living this way.
That was 35 years ago......now they all envy me !
:p

The tribe here at CRVL are the best friends that I have never seen !
Gonna have to work on that.... :cool:

JJPDX said:
I meant no disrespect by "Time waster." .......
It'll only be "wasted" if I never move on to Action!

jj

No offence taken.  I "waste" a lot of time here too. :D

Welcome. Great info, advice, how-to here. also some not to. videos are great also. you can search them out under enigmatic nomadics on youtube.

I believe there is more than a few members in your area. I am in central and eastern Oregon quite often. oh yeah welcome, your time is not wasted here. highdesertranger

hi,i would say there are more people from the n.w. then anywhere else here on the site,i'm out behind hagg lake

Hi JJ,

I am in the Willamette valley. Part timer. Dreaming/transitioning to full timer.

Also am cogitating/ studying up on the ford transit, Nissan NV and dodge promaster. Right now in a minivan. Toyota Previa.

towhee said:
Hi JJ,

I am in the Willamette valley. Part timer. Dreaming/transitioning to full timer.

Also am cogitating/ studying up on the ford transit, Nissan NV and dodge promaster. Right now in a minivan. Toyota Previa.

Hi Towhee, read many of your questions/ insights on the Forum!  I'm still thinking/looking- have a couple of months at least before I can purchase something.  In the PDX area, prices tend to be high and availability leans toward Chevy Express, with some Extended, and Ford f-series.  High top Nissans, where I was first thinking of, are few and far between.  So- thinking more about Chevy 3500 extended passenger or cargo... do an initial conversion... realize my mistakes.. try again and maybe add a High Roof...  But for now... lurking and dreaming!  jj

I am still in sticker shock. In 1996 I bought a 4 year old truck for 8200. But 4 year old cargo vans now run towards $15,000 to $20,000.

Here's a nice Nissan NV 2500 for $22K.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5727580436.html

Agreed that good sized vans are scarce here and expensive.

I am going to keep traveling in my Previa but I will keep an eye out while in other parts of the country. Eventually I will get lucky.

I started traveling last year in a beat up Dodge Ram 350. I still have it because I am thinking it will be good to learn on. If I make irreparable mistakes I haven't lost so much.

I have found this site useful. http://www.buildagreenrv.com/diy-rv-conversions/ They converted a promaster. Even put windows in. They described it in such clarity that I felt I might be able to do that. If I can buy a cargo van and add Windows I sure have more choices than if I only look for the passenger version.

Ultimately, though, the important thing is to get on the road. Even if not in the perfect vehicle.

We will see you out there! Keep posting on your progress.

And so it begins.... 3 hour owner of a 2012 Chevy 3500 Extended 15 passenger van! Deep breath..... what's next!!

Thank you to this entire community for guiding me this far... so much more to do. Or maybe I'll go camping!!

jj

Pics to come... right now its a big white 15-passenger van! Excited!

jj

JJPDX said:
And so it begins.... 3 hour owner of a 2012 Chevy 3500 Extended 15 passenger van!  Deep breath..... what's next!!

Thank you to this entire community for guiding me this far... so much more to do.  Or maybe I'll go camping!!

jj

I'm down in Sisters, OR, you are always welcome in my camp
Bob