Hello From Jason & Zeus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwiseman

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm Jason and with me in the pic is my best buddy Zeus.  I'm losing my place so I'll be hitting the road with my truck, a travel trailer and an extremely low budget really soon.  I'm not sure where we're going yet, but my goal, at least until I can find a way to make some cash, is to boondock somewhere as cheap as humanly possible.  I've even considered Slab City since there's no time limit or fees.  Actually I wouldn't even mind paying a one time fee if it meant several months of not having to move from a decent spot.  I just want to limit my need for gas and whatnot.  I'd love any suggestions on that for sure but mainly I'm here to introduce myself and because I'm hoping to find a group to connect with out there.  I'm as much of a noob as you could be at all of this so I'm pretty clueless still but at least I'll have a decent rig with solar and all before I leave.  I can't wait to meet you guys out there and start this new life!  I've wanted this for years actually and life has finally forced me to follow my heart.  I see it all as a good thing.  Anyways, hope everyone's doing well out there and I'll see at least some of you soon.  Peace!
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipN_ITCgkWnc6jmsBwmhQbsEMbjgs7_PHtHQpHBi

Attachments

• jandZ2.jpg
    jandZ2.jpg
    100.4 KB
Welcome Jason and Zeus to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum Jason - Zeus you are beautiful. Shepard and husky? Or what? No insult intended big guy. The smartest dog I ever owned was purebred Shepherd and purebred lab mixed together. I had a purebred Shepherd she was nice but not as smart. I love them all. I’d love to have a dog with me now but in my physical condition cleaning up after dog is difficult. I guess I’ll have to get a stuffed animal.

Where Is homebase for you? I find it interesting to know where people are located but you don’t have to tell if you don’t want to.

Slab city looks inviting but I wonder about how old her waist is handled and what health impact that will have as that community grows. I see lots of videos about it but never see anything about sanitation. you hear lots of good and lots of bad about slab city. I think I’d really like to visit there but don’t think I could stay. The summer in slab city looks miserable to me. So if you’re in the west there’s plenty of BLM land but course you have to move as you said. Here in the east are national forest we have a 12 or 14 day limit have to move on to somewhere else. In a van that’s easier to handle and if you set up your camp knowing that you’re going to move in two weeks it’s livable. And that way it forces me to see more sites and meet more people (Or not if you choose).

God bless the nomads and those who have settled in slab city.

The LTVA's...Long Term Visitors Areas......around Quartzsite Arizona are a bargain at $180 for the Winter season.......Water, Waste dump and Trash provided.............

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

Having a decent bicycle and a used back pack can be a benefit to the minimalist life.   A lot of people buy a motor kit from a place like Ebay and install it on the bike.  These can get exceptionally high gas mileage.

You've probably seen these.  In the winter months they sell for less.  It takes about 3 to 5 hours to put one together the first time.  After that it takes much less time.  Basic tools needed.  They are 2cycle engines.  If you are on flat land a 36 tooth rear sprocket would be good but if you are in the hills maybe up to a 54 tooth rear sprocket would be needed.  25 mph is about as fast as you want to go on a bike like this. 

But if you just want to set up and camp in one place for a while,  this can be your grocery getter and with the savings in gas put a lot more grocery's on the table.  And the cost of the motor kit be saved in gas money the first month.    Just something to consider.

This time of year a lot of bicycles are showing up in yard sales

[img=697x600]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1bRMqZM3-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Being close to town is a real finical advantage. Having cheap reliable transportation is key if you have to travel for necessities. There are many good remote camping opportunities but they will cost you more than living in an urban RV Park if you don’t figure out how to reduce your trips for necessities. Working in an recreational area can solve many of those problems by allowing you a place to stay with water and utilities as well as allowing deliveries to a business address. Coolworks.com is a good place to look for ideas. More people are camping and using the outdoors this year so jobs are being extended. Excapees club has several lower cost RV parks and other services although there are a places cheaper if you look. Welcome and good luck.

nature lover said:
Welcome to the forum Jason  - Zeus you are beautiful. Shepard and husky? Or what? No insult intended big guy.  The smartest dog I ever owned was purebred Shepherd and purebred lab mixed together. I had a purebred Shepherd she was nice but not as smart. I love them all. I’d love to have a dog with me now but in my physical condition cleaning up after dog is difficult. I guess I’ll have to get a stuffed animal.

Where Is homebase for you? I find it interesting to know where people are located but you don’t have to tell if you don’t want to.

Slab city looks inviting but I wonder about how old her waist is handled and what health impact that will have as that community grows. I see lots of videos about it but never see anything about sanitation.  you hear lots of good and lots of bad about slab city. I think I’d really like to visit there but don’t think I could stay.  The summer in slab city looks miserable to me. So if you’re in the west there’s plenty of BLM land but course you have to move as you said. Here in the east are national forest we have a 12 or 14 day limit have to move on to somewhere else. In a van that’s easier to handle and if you set up your camp knowing that you’re going to move in two weeks it’s livable. And that way it forces me to see more sites and meet more people (Or not if you choose).

God bless the nomads and those who have settled in slab city.
Zeus says thanks for the compliment.  Yeah I'd never hang out in Slab City for the summer.  That would kill Zeus.  And you're right about the sanitation - never thought about that.  I'd bet it's disgusting in some areas out there.

abnorm said:
The LTVA's...Long Term Visitors Areas......around Quartzsite Arizona are a bargain at $180 for the Winter season.......Water, Waste dump and Trash provided.............
This is great info!  I'm looking it up now.  Didn't realize this existed.  Thanks!

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

Having a decent bicycle and a used back pack can be a benefit to the minimalist life.   A lot of people buy a motor kit from a place like Ebay and install it on the bike.  These can get exceptionally high gas mileage....
This is such a great a idea!  This will be one necessity I'll get put together before I leave.  This way I could get around easily and cheaply and not break camp every time.  Thanks so much for this.

I was just looking in ebay and there are a lot of those motors $97 dollars with free shipping.  A kit weighs about 25 lbs.  Most of them are 50cc which is enough.  There are 80cc for a bit more money.  I've read where the 80cc's are probably closer to about 68cc but whatever  The first two50cc   below are around $99 dollars with free shipping.The last is the best deal and it is "80" cc.

Would you burn $80 bucks of fuel in a month in your truck ?   I've seen guys buy plastic waste paper containers and install them on their bikes like saddle bags on the rear wheel.  Then find a bicycle basket for the front wheel so they can really carry some stuff.  Others have found those baby carts people take their kids for a ride in and use that to haul stuff.

If you were to decide to do this,  I'd suggest putting new tires and innertubes on the bike first  Then get a small
container of that "Green Slime" puncture proofing liquid to put some in both tires after you remove the valve cores from the innertubes.  Then reinstall the cores and inflate the tires before riding the bike to coat the inside of the tubes with the Slime.   And of course get a good bicycle cable lock to thread thru the rear wheel and frame.
I see a lot of guys remove the seat from the bike when they go into a store or to work.

I think this could do a lot to deal with your economic problem.  I understand these things can get up t0 180 mpg.

City-Green 50cc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Bike-M...IOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982
yallstore 50cc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-2-Str...446698&hash=item2f200ca777:g:T30AAOSwWWxeqpjW
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-2-Str...446698&hash=item2f200ca777:g:T30AAOSwWWxeqpjWhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-80cc...569261&hash=item2178aa5124:g:rsAAAOSwmflfcH0isatanniyroom 80cc $79 free shipping

Latest posts