Hello from Japan!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew422

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been awhile since I've been on any forums but thought I'd give this one a shot since there is gonna be big changes coming up in my life in the next couple years.  I am currently active duty in the US armed forces stationed in Japan at this time and will be looking towards retiring around 2018/19.  Needless to say, I'm looking for a change.

I've grown up around travel trailers when I was younger and briefly owned one myself a few years ago but have sold it and most recently sold the truck I used to pull it.  I've been looking into a few different options but am leaning towards a van or truck camper for the mobility but here recently have been watching youtube video's on people living in Class C motorhomes and thought wow, those are nice!! After searching craigslist they seem to be in the right price range for an early 2000 model. 

Ideally I would like to retire and as soon as I come back begin the search.  Pay cash and be on my way.  I'm originally from California but might search for an RV in Texas because I used to live there on active duty and RV's seem to be cheaper then California.  My parents bought their current Trailer there.

Anyway, I have a lot to consider and I'm looking forward to learning from people on here and watching Youtube.  Thank you

Justin

Hi Justin! Japan seems like a weird cool country, would love to go there someday to experience theculture. Hopefully they told you that we stopped shooting at each other in '45, otherwise, how embarrassing eh? ...*crickets*... Anyways...glad you're retirement is coming and hope you have a blast!

Welcome!
Class Cs are nice, but i hate overcab bunks, so I prefer B+s, and a B+ will have nearly the go anywhere abilities of a van, though nothing matches a 4x4 with a truck camper

Welcome to the CRVL forums Justin! Texas is a good place to begin your search for the RV or van that will be perfect for you. Keep us updated and feel free to ask questions about any that you're considering.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, Justin! Thank you for your service and sacrifice! The mobile life is a great way to enjoy and celebrate all that you fought for!

Hi Welcome and thank you for your service. My friend was stationed in Japan in the early 2000's. I think another member, mikEXpat is in Japan as well and looking to join the mobile life once back in the states.

Genki desu ka Brew422 ? Welcome to the forum.
I was in Sasebo and Yokosuka many years ago. I was Navy, (back closer to the days of wooden ships and iron men, 1972-1978). Today I am a bit rusty.

It sure is hard to decide what type of RV suits your type of lifestyle. So many advantages and disadvantages to each type. I have a 30' Class A that I really haven't used in years and I recently acquired a conversion van. I am a part timer, but when I am out for a while being able to stand up is a nice feature. So I just bought a toy hauler to pull behind the van.

I live in the Southwest so there is lots of free BLM land here. I figure I can camp on the outskirts of town with the toyhauler, and If I want to spend a night in town I can stealth in the van.

I also welcome you to the forum and thank you for your service. I spent a little time in Yokosuka Naval Hospital being stabilized for the MACV flight home. Didn't get to sight-see.

There is a fine group of people here who can help on most subjects, just ask. My Best on your Retirement plans.

Rob

Hi Justin,

Vagabond told me you surfaced here. haha. I too am in Japan, English professor in Kobe, and will be moving back to the states next February 2018. I'm counting the days.

I'll be looking for a van or class B in Southern California. I like the mobility, gas mileage, and lower maintenance costs compared to a class C. I have come to the conclusion that a truck camper actually becomes too expensive after you add air bags, sway bars, and the like. Taking off the slide-in doesn't seem to happen as much as you'd think in order to take advantage of it. I also like being able to jump in and drive away whenever plus if I stop along the highway I can easily grab something from the back without getting wet or blown away.

Let's get in touch. Maybe we can swap ideas and lend support as we both make the change. I'll send you a buddy request.

Yoroshiku,
Mike

DannyB1954 said:
Genki desu ka Brew422 ?   Welcome to the forum.
I was in Sasebo and Yokosuka many years ago. I was Navy, (back closer to the days of wooden ships and iron men, 1972-1978). Today I am a bit rusty.

It sure is hard to decide what type of RV suits your type of lifestyle. So many advantages and disadvantages to each type. I have a 30' Class A that I really haven't used in years and I recently acquired a conversion van. I am a part timer, but when I am out for a while being able to stand up is a nice feature. So I just bought a toy hauler to pull behind the van.

I live in the Southwest so there is lots of free BLM land here. I figure I can camp on the outskirts of town with the toyhauler, and If I want to spend a night in town I can stealth in the van.

Genki Desu.

I am in Sasebo and the term wooden ships and iron men stands true today with the "Newer Generation" of Minesweepers.  Which I've been solely on for the past 19 years.  Nice to meet you!!

mikEXpat said:
Hi Justin,

Vagabond told me you surfaced here. haha. I too am in Japan, English professor in Kobe, and will be moving back to the states next February 2018. I'm counting the days.

I'll be looking for a van or class B in Southern California. I like the mobility, gas mileage, and lower maintenance costs compared to a class C. I have come to the conclusion that a truck camper actually becomes too expensive after you add air bags, sway bars, and the like. Taking off the slide-in doesn't seem to happen as much as you'd think in order to take advantage of it. I also like being able to jump in and drive away whenever plus if I stop along the highway I can easily grab something from the back without getting wet or blown away.

Let's get in touch. Maybe we can swap ideas and lend support as we both make the change. I'll send you a buddy request.

Yoroshiku,
Mike
Sounds good mike.  If all works out, I should be retiring around December of 2018.

Latest posts