Hello from a newbie.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanGrrl57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello to all here.

I'm not actually living in my van yet but plan on doing so very soon. I find myself getting further and further into debt and see no viable way out. Rent, student loans, and the like are eating up my paycheck as is getting straightened out from dealing with identity theft. SIGH! Therefore, the idea of living in my van keeps coming into my mind to cut expenses. I have been a homeless person before so that's no big deal to me as I survived for 2 years (with no car) living on the streets, homeless shelters, etc. Right now, I'm posting this at a computer at work so I must be brief as I must wake people up at 6 am. I work at a homeless shelter and I am an overnight client advocate. Oh, the irony! LOL! :rolleyes: :D

Must go for now. Will be back later. I look forward to meeting others here and get some advice about living in my van which is a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager.

VanGrrl57

Hi, Welcome!

I am a similar situation as you, preparing to move into vehicle in two weeks, do it around my town for a few months to save money, then out west to freedom, camping lifestyle!

I have been homeless also, hats off to you doing it without a vehicle! All those skills will be invaluable when in vehicle, make it way easier.

Posting, searching and reading in sub forums really helps with questions like how to get van ready. Tons of great ideas in modifications section and if you want individual info that pertains to your vehicle you can start a thread and get input. Posting pics of the vehicle helps as people can see it.

I am relatively new here and all the ideas have been super useful but I have gotten overwhelmed thinking about them all. What I have come to is take them all in then think about my strengths and weakness what I need to live comfortably. For me all this planning has been a hundred times harder than just getting out there, so much time for what ifs. As you know once out u figure it out if you want to survive :). Should be a breeze for you in van. I have saved a 1,000.00 already having my landlord using security deposit as last months rent, which he was willing to do. Every time it gets hard I think of that thousand and where I can go in the future. Well worth biting the bullet! People are great about answering questions.

Wishing u good fortune on your journey! Have fun:)

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like a great plan to help with your debt situation.  I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, VanGrrl57! you have found a viable way out and living in a van is it.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.