hello and question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srockwell

Reaction score
hi there,

I have recently become an owner of a 2001 Roadtrek and I am hoping to make it to the RTR this Winter with my adult son. We have never done anything like this and I am a bit nervous about the weather being that we are traveling from the Northeast. I hope to be on the road right after Thanksgiving if all goes well. If we have no major storms brewing. I only have the on board propane furnace for heat and I wonder if we will be able to keep warm. I also don't have a genny and I don't know if the two solar panels will be enough. They are 2 100 panels and I only have one 125 amp hour AGM deep cycle battery. :-/   Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I really look forward to meeting others at RTR. No support here and my adult son has autism and is ok with coming along but has not been able to help otherwise. 

with every hope of meeting you all soon,

Sonya

Welcome to the CRVL forums Sonya! Lots of people here will be right along to help you with those answers.

You'll probably want to take a straight run south until you hit warm weather and then start heading west at a more leisurely pace.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!

Sounds wonderful that you and your son will get to go to the RTR. :)

X2 on going south first. I don't have any suggestions other than those that know stuff will want to know what you will be using your solar/battery for in order to have any answers for you.

We love pics so if you have an opportunity, would love to see your rig. (I'd really love to see the inside as I haven't made my mind up what way I want to go and I'm stuck in my s&b for now.)

Definitely head directly south until you're near the gulf coast. Then go west on I-10 or the smaller roads if you want a more leisurely, scenic trip. We've made this trip west many times leaving from Pennsylvania and never had any problems with bad weather except around El Paso, Texas where it can snow enough to close the road at times. Just find a place to hunker down until it melts.

Your battery will charge as you're driving. The solar panels will help during the day but you won't be able to run your furnace all night without running the battery down. Hopefully it won't be that cold. We usually run our furnace awhile before we go to sleep and then turn it off. Fleece blankets and down comforters or sleeping bags are enough to keep us toasty all night. If it does get too cold for you there will be campgrounds opened along the southern part of your trip.

Have a good trip and see you at the RTR!

Welcome aboard Sonya !
Your solar would be enough if your use is modest.
Post that question separately in the Solar forum for more exposure to the solar x-s'perts.

What part of the NE are you starting your adventure from ?
I've waited to leave from Maine after Thanksgiving and it was a little cold the first few nights but nothing a couple doubled up sleeping bags couldn't cancel out.
It's more a wait for a weather window to travel in situation. Staying away from the higher altitude routes can make a big difference.

You will find us a great support group that will answer all the questions you want to ask and maybe throw in a few extra bits you haven't thought of.

You need to remember your Roadtrek also has the engine heater. There will be several other roadtreks there. I sent you a private message.

rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Sonya !
Your solar would be enough if your use is modest.
Post that question separately in the Solar forum for more exposure to the solar x-s'perts.

What part of the NE are you starting your adventure from ?
I've waited to leave from Maine after Thanksgiving and it was a little cold the first few nights but nothing a couple doubled up sleeping bags couldn't cancel out.
It's more a wait for a weather window to travel in situation. Staying away from the higher altitude routes can make a big difference.

You will find us a great support group that will answer all the questions you want to ask and maybe throw in a few extra bits you haven't thought of.
I am leaving from southeast CT (recently moved from midcoast Maine :0)  ) I will definitely wait for a good weather spell. thanks so much for your advice.

tonyandkaren said:
Definitely head directly south until you're near the gulf coast. Then go west on I-10 or the smaller roads if you want a more leisurely, scenic trip. We've made this trip west many times leaving from Pennsylvania and never had any problems with bad weather except around El Paso, Texas where it can snow enough to close the road at times. Just find a place to hunker down until it melts.

Your battery will charge as you're driving. The solar panels will help during the day but you won't be able to run your furnace all night without running the battery down. Hopefully it won't be that cold. We usually run our furnace awhile before we go to sleep and then turn it off. Fleece blankets and down comforters or sleeping bags are enough to keep us toasty all night. If it does get too cold for you there will be campgrounds opened along the southern part of your trip.

Have a good trip and see you at the RTR!

The option of a campground is a good thing to keep in mind. thanks   :rolleyes:

anewbiewannabe said:
Welcome!

Sounds wonderful that you and your son will get to go to the RTR. :)

X2 on going south first.  I don't have any suggestions other than those that know stuff will want to know what you will be using your solar/battery for in order to have any answers for you.

We love pics so if you have an opportunity, would love to see your rig. (I'd really love to see the inside as I haven't made my mind up what way I want to go and I'm stuck in my s&b for now.)

I will try to take some pics soon. We are still getting to know each other and I haven't set things up proper yet so it'll be a few days. I am trying all the systems out right now and contemplating towing a small trailer so I'll be shopping for that stat as it just about November. We are not small people and it is a bit tight but I think with a fair amount of good weather we should be alright. I really like the idea of having something that I can pull into a parking space.

Latest posts