Heating a Van with a Propane Lantern?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroFlite

Reaction score
Been using my Coleman two burner propane lanten in my tent for both heat and light, and it's done a nice job. The sound and the light bring back good memories and are both reassuring at some basic level to me. Seems to burn very cleanly. Anyone been using one as the main heat source in a van? Seems lilke it might be a more efficient method than the Mr. Heater. Lots of ice fisherman use it in their shelters and seem happy with it.

Been using my Coleman two burner propane lanten in my tent for both heat and light, and it's done a nice job. The sound and the light bring back good memories and are both reassuring at some basic level to me. Seems to burn very cleanly. Anyone been using one as the main heat source in a van? Seems lilke it might be a more efficient method than the Mr. Heater. Lots of ice fisherman use it in their shelters and seem happy with it.
Many old travel trailers came equipped with a Humphrey Light, a wall mounted propane mantle light that was used for heat and light. The mantles were a little larger than those used on Coleman lanterns but essentially the same. I still have one but it's not in use.

Condensation and ventilation are the issues when using unvented propane heat and light sources. With the vented diesel heaters and used solar, even lithium batteries becoming more reasonably priced there are much better and safer options in my opinion. If you want cheap and primitive check out heated stones that can be placed in a campfire.