Heating a Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the confinement of a mummy bag.....I wonder if a "snow boarder's or snow machiner's" "suit" would be as warm and much less confining (?) Any opinions/experience ??.........................Thanks KinA

Cabela's and other hunting outfitters have rectangular bags that are rated down to -20ºF.  From experience a bag is warmer than a suit with the same insulation and more comfortable.

If you are going to heat your tent with an unventilated heater (e.g. Mr. Buddy) do not get a down comforter or sleeping bag.  They soak up water vapor like a sponge.

I agree that heating the tent is not that important, and proper apparel is. Light weight synthetics and layering will keep you comfortable while awake & for sleepy time a good sleeping bag. Keep some base layers on when you get into your bag. Tent camping for more than forty years, regularly, and I've never heated a tent using methods that others have shared here along with what I mentioned. There have been nights when I got into the sleeping bag fully dressed along with hat, hood, and gloves, but was very comfortable (I took my boots off) and still consider heat in a tent a waste. It's just something more to carry with very little payoff. But then I don't think standing in a tent is important either. Had two big tents with rooms during the years that the grandkids camped with us, and gave the tents to them when they wanted to camp with friends when they got older. I prefer a tent that would be useful on a mountain top in howling wind.

I tried to edit my post directly after reading what I posted but exceeded the time limit with my two finger typing. I wanted to scratch all that personal stuff and just add that a collapsible cot sold in outfitters shops for backpackers will keep you off the ground and comfortable. It's light weight and provides the big payoff, unlike trying to heat your tent which I don't think is necessary. The morning may be brisk enough to let you know that you're still alive, but you'll not freeze or be uncomfortable.

There is a Preview Post button to the right of the Post Reply button.  It allows you to read, see how it will look and edit your post before posting; no time limit.

Thank's Spiff, I've seen that button but never really gave it much attention (like looking at the instructions after trying it myself). Good to know how this works as I proof read everything I post. Just trying to be good :) (I used it for this post, thanks again)

Even better, compose in a good auto-saving text editor like Simplenote, then cut and paste the post to the forum when it's all done.

Very common for people to lose all their text after a long editing period when using the forum's web editor.

Simplenote also has "rollback" to all previous versions and automatically​ sycs across all your devices, web app, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux.

Also supports markdown

John, you lost me after "Even better, compose..." :)  Just a little background - I still use paper maps, pad & pencil to navigate our fine land. I have no GPS, never learned anything about anything you've just mentioned, and participating in this forum is about as technical as I get, not more than texting really. Even when I had the little 19' sailboat I used nothing but a watch, compass, chart, dividers, ruler, & a sharp pencil to navigate. (I used to sail in a direction to lose sight of land & get out of the shipping lanes, take a nap, then wake up who knows where and test myself in navigation. A solo sailor's game). Thanks for trying though, I appreciate it :)

What device and OS do you use to browse the forum?

PC or Mac depending on whose I'm using, & the droid very rarely.

There are links to apps for all three here

https://simplenote.com/

But check with the owner if it's not your computer, maybe set it up on your Android first, create a user/password just like you did here.

Copy and paste is Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V in Windows,

Command-C / V (⌘) in MacOS

That means hold down Command, press C (or V) , then release both keys.

In Android, press your finger down on a word select the text to copy, press your finger down in a blank spot and press paste.

Feel free to ask for help if you need it.