heat & hot water maybe??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmyers4u

Reaction score
First post so hopefully pic shows(pool solar dome).

Has anyone experimented with one of these? Roof mount could heat water and maybe some sort of DIY radiator attachment with a low voltage fan and pump to circulate water for heat?

Just kicking around thoughts on my head. Ideas? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 71YZAwgdO4L._SX425_.jpg
    71YZAwgdO4L._SX425_.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 13
This also acts as a radiator and has many other uses:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-Master-2-5-gal-Deck-Sprayer-1125D/100382513

rl-flo-master-sprayers-1125d-64_1000.jpg

But I wanna build stuff, lol

Oddly enough, MY HD doesn't sell that and won't ship it.

Moderator Note: removed needless quote of post directly above - Nomadventurer

It is called passive solar and is very doable. Easiest with a coil of black tubing, better in a sealed box to reduce loss to external temperatures and wind.

wmyers4u said:
First post so hopefully pic shows(pool solar dome).

Has anyone experimented with one of these? Roof mount could heat water and maybe some sort of DIY radiator attachment with a low voltage fan and pump to circulate water for heat?

Just kicking around thoughts on my head. Ideas? Thoughts?
this looks interesting.. more details?

Ive been kicking around this idea. something like a long black 4" pvc pipe mounted on the roof to hold and recirculate water and use for outdoor showers.

Be mindful of the weight of the water being carried on your roof and the effect that is will have on the center of gravity of your vehicle.

I've seen some people design roof top water carrying and heating facilities without taking into consideration the above and also without figuring out all the side effects of having to carry a step ladder to reach it to fill it, a longer length of hose to connect to taps, a pump to get the water up there from portable jugs, how to cool the water when it gets too hot in the sun to comfortably use etc.

I prefer a weed sprayer unit that I painted black myself with a can of spray paint, attached a 6' length of 1/2 ID hose to and added an RV style shower head.

I can heat water on the stove if Mother Nature isn't co-operating, it stores easily, doesn't require any extra equipment and with the addition of a pop up privacy tent I can have a shower in private just about anywhere (not in a store parking lot... :rolleyes: )

AND I built it myself.... :D :D

My thought was less internal space used(potentially), save electric and gas, and the center of gravity thing can definitely be an issue in some vehicles if you use a tube type that holds all the water up top.

I'm still in the brainstorming phase of the build trying to hold on to the creature comforts that I feel I will dearly miss OTR.

Something like this you would have a portion of the water below so not as much weight up top and circulated by a pump that really wouldn't have to be run very often.

Don't know if any of these could be considered potable for preheating cooking water though.

Nothing will beat the simplicity of the pump sprayer though. Maybe a roof mount for that so it stays in place and heats up on the roof when mobile.

tx2sturgis said:
Something like this maybe?

https://www.roadshower.com/

yeah sorta.. I got the idea from the conduit carriers on work vans like this: https://www.discountramps.com/vantech-conduit-carrier/p/CONDUIT-CARRIER/
you could also use several smaller PVC pipes and maybe even heat form the tubing to fit lower onto the roof and/or more stealthy.

that one youve linked looks expensive. aluminum would probably heat the water quicker but at the same time it would cool off quicker too.

still like to get more info on the one OP shows though.

highdesertranger said:
we all know how hot solar panels get. this might give you all some ideas. the link is for a system that mounts under solar panels.

http://www.custommarineproducts.com/solar-water-heating-system.html

remember anybody that wants to DIY a system the smaller the tubing at the collector the faster it heats the water. highdesertranger

this actually looks perfect for existing panels and very stealthy. thanks

Except for those few dark days out of the shortest month of the year, I heat with electricity. I had used a JetBoil as an experiment; one small canister will heat enough water for showers for a month. That's $4 a month. I shower with a weed sprayer on less than 50 ounces of water a day. Part of my ability to heat with electricity is my ability to be efficient with water and soap. The modified sprayer I use has a nearly perfect balance of volume and pressure and it has an on/off switch. I also have short hair.

highdesertranger said:
we all know how hot solar panels get.  this might give you all some ideas.  the link is for a system that mounts under solar panels.

http://www.custommarineproducts.com/solar-water-heating-system.html

remember anybody that wants to DIY a system the smaller the tubing at the collector the faster it heats the water.  highdesertranger

Hadn't thought of this. Awesome. This would be pretty easy with a few coils of soft copper.

Latest posts