Head room

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsackett

Reaction score
Hi all. Okay, I think i can deal with the small quarters of a van. Went cruising in a 25 foot boat for 3 years, although I was much younger then. So size wise I can make do. Will have to pull a small utility trailer for my tools, a small trail bike and misc stuff, but have one of those so no added expense. The thing that worries me most is headroom. How do you people in standard height vans deal with not being able to stand up in your house?? Right now that's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. I am so ready to rent my house out and get the hell away from all the noise, traffic and bs I have to put up with in town. I like the idea of a camper van better than a class C or even a trailer. Don't know if I can live where I can't stand. Opinions please!!! Regards, J.D.

Two ideas...

1. Van with a high top roof
2. Sit on a chair with wheels (office chair) and scoot around.

Being 6'4", this was my concern too. I went with a conversion van with what I call a 'Low Topper', higher than a normal van but I still stoop. Still better than a cargo van and still reasonably stealthy.
I may in time replace it with a High Top, but I'll see how this one does for awhile.

Mine is a regular top. I am 5'3". I spend all my inside time either sitting or on my knees. If I had it to do over again, I would've gone with a bubble top or something in which I could stand. Next time, for sure!

Most of the time, I'm ok with it but when circumstances keep me inside (except for sleeping), it does occasionally become a chore.

My advice -- get something high enough that you can stand, especially if you plan to full time.

Best wishes :)

Having had vans without the higher top before and spending a lot of time stooping or on my knees, one of the prerequisites for the new (to me) van was the high top. It either had to come with one already installed or I had to find the money in the budget to have one put on. No way would I live full-time in a van without one.

I'm only 5' but I lucked out and found a van with the big high top on it. I had one before and had to use a stool to crank the roof vent...lol. OTOH I never had to worry about laying down to put my pants on.

We did a lot of van traveling in a full sized regular van when we were younger, before bad backs and arthritis made that less doable. We are both big people. If we were going to get a van these days, we'd go for a high top van. None of us improve with age. If you are already concerned about head room, check that option out.

LeeRevell said:
Being 6'4", this was my concern too. I went with a conversion van with what I call a 'Low Topper', higher than a normal van but I still stoop. Still better than a cargo van and still reasonably stealthy.
I may in time replace it with a High Top, but I'll see how this one does for awhile.

I have a 7 foot ceiling in my Grumman Olson step van. It's big and gets 17mpg on diesel because the Cummins turbo diesel motor (4BT) is a great power plant for many vehicles.

My Dodge high top has only 5'8" of headroom at its tallest point.

An option to consider is to get a cargo trailer to convert and live in and use the van as the garage for the tools and bike. That's exactly what I do and my 6x8 cargo trailer is 6'2" inside that I tow with a low top extended 1 ton van.
Bob

I worried about it but it hasn't really been a problem. I'm six feet tall. I can do anything I need to while sitting or laying down. Occasionally I kneel. My bed, which is also my "chair" runs along the side. I can reach everything inside while on the bed. It's not like I need to cross the room or walk down a hall to get places. The only time it's slightly awkward is when putting on pants, but a few seconds of being bent over is no big deal.

But like Bob said, if you're going to be hauling a trailer, make that your living quarters and store your stuff in the van.

Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it. After reading all the replies, I must agree with the majority here and go with something I can stand in. AKBOB...good idea. I see enclosed trailers for sale around here often. Some very affordable. One good thing about a utility trailer is there isn't a heck of a lot that can go wrong. Thanks again, appreciate all the help. Best regards, J.D.

Like others here, we just kneel or sit... sometimes a crouching shuffle. If we want to stand up, we go outside.

I agree that a trailer would be your best bet. It will also save you some fuel vs having a high top in addition to towing.

I got an E350 chassis van with a Stahl utility body on it. 5'6" is the medium height body and I'm 5'7" so a simple head incline does it for me. The tall utility body would accommodate most. Once I insulate my van, I'm planning to get one of those utility stools, the ones on wheels sold to mechanics, with the handy tray underneath...

Recently, I was in the back of one of the tall versions of the new Ford Econoline replacements, the full-size Transit, and it was tall enough to stand up straight.

Not just headroom. Our old van had a high top but also a sleeping area over the front seats. It was too much for us to use, especially getting up numerous times in the night, but made a fantastic cargo area. If you can find a scrapped Intervec class B with a usable top to remove, it would be great.

Not just headroom. Our old van had a high top but also a sleeping area over the front seats. It was too much for us to use, especially getting up numerous times in the night, but made a fantastic cargo area. If you can find a scrapped Intervec class B with a usable top to remove, it would be great.

You could always add a high top or get a smaller class b RV. This way you could stand up.