Have a van... not sure where to start

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gburke1

Reaction score
Several months ago I purchased a van, but it has just been sitting.

I'm not really sure where to start...

I want to have at least 600w of solar up top, have been looking at 6 of the Renogy 100w flexible panels, due to stealth factor and roof space (seems it will fit by my measurements)... as I'm not really too handy with tools, I am worried about how I'm going to get the wiring in to the van... I would like to have a pretty big battery bank as well because I plan to use a desktop computer at least time to time that has an i7-5820k plus two monitors (video card is not high end)... maybe have a generator around to top up the battery if needed.

Also wanting to make the interior nicer, and have been wondering if anyone has tried an evaporative AC unit like this one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Port-A-Co...th-175-sq-ft-Cooling-Capacity-Silver/20469117 ... if so did it keep the van comfortable and what were outside temps?

Pics attached of what I have so far... last guy who had the van used it to travel around in so it already had the walls and insulation.

Attachments

• WP_20150603_20_15_29_Pro.JPG
    WP_20150603_20_15_29_Pro.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 49
  • WP_20150603_22_34_28_Pro.JPG
    WP_20150603_22_34_28_Pro.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 31
Well, I guess the first thing you need to do is figure out where you want to put everything. Take lots of measurements, draw everything out. Then, start building the bed, and whatever storage compartments and cabinets you want.

6 flexible 100 watt solar panels is going to be expensive, as are the batteries that go along with it. I have 600 watts on my roof as well, but I used the rigid panels. I like my setup. It's more than enough. I think it'll be more than enough for you too. I actually just started a website dedicated to DIY solar. It's http://solarloco.com. Hope it helps. Let me know if there's anything in particular that you need help with.

I don't have an AC, so I can't comment on that.

If you're having trouble starting, JUST START! That's the hardest part. Once you get started, you'll probably find all kinds of inspiration. You don't have to do anything fancy. You could just build a bare bones setup, and then improve things later.

Damn Christine, I'm thoroughly impressed with your setup! Bookmarked, thanks for sharing :)

If you mount panels on the roof, (600 watt) where are you putting the AC?  How about the vent?  

Start by cutting out six pieces of cardboard and seeing where  and how they fit.  You can velcro down flexible panels, so that is not a problem.  You can mount a inbox for the wires, that is also not a problem.  But read a bunch of threads on here, and figure out just what you really need.  I have 100Watts of solar, and with one more panel I can run a fridge and everything else I want.  Just no AC or Microwave.  But I do have 260+ lbs of batteries, and a wiring system that is better than some homes I have lived in.

Christine, would you mind telling me how you made the roof rack the solar panels mount to?

Christine
That's a nice solar system (and van) setup.
I'm also very impressed with your DIY website, did you build that too?
Would love to see it in person. Maybe some day out on the trail..........

Nice Site, Christine.

Another note on where to buy solar panels...

Craigslist.

At least in Phoenix, there are several Solar installers that end up with extra panels, and they sell them on CL because there are not enough to do a complete system, but are ideal for RV and Vans since we only need one or a few. I bought three new in box Kyocera 135GT's  for $0.60 a watt. I later bought a used spare one for $50, so the deals are out there. Just don't buy ones with the Serial number removed, and test them, and you should be OK.

A note on testing. Because I tested them in front of the guy and they were good, he didn't want to come down much on price. :dodgy:

There are a few shops here that sell them pretty reasonably too, including discount solar in Mesa, where I got my Midnight Kid Charge controller from. I presume most metro areas have similar shops. They always advertise on CL. They are usually the ones with too many annoying ads crowding out the individual ones. :s

If you don't know how to test them, it's easy, but you need a Good DMM to check the AMPs, and you will need one that can handle the current the panel is rated for.

Hope you have more than a half ton van... 6 solar panels, a large bank of batteries, some kind of refridg or evap cooler, it's going to add up to a lot of weight.

You'll get a lot of good advice and can learn a lot by looking at the various van build threads. U tube videos give you info and ideas as well. You could also see if someone whose done it lives nearby, get some first hand information.

what part of the country are you in? that evaporative cooler will not work if the humidity is high, above 60% and will only marginally work between 40 and 60%. highdesertranger

Building is fun! Just think about what you might need to live and then make it. Or you can just buy things and slide them into the van, and not pick up a hammer. It will inevitably change the more you vandwell, but that is also part of the fun.

I'm lucky in that I'm temporarily living in a slide in camper until I get my custom build done. I can do whatever I want with this old beater and it doesn't matter. I can cut, drill, and bang around and have not a worry in the world.

Despite that, I make the effort to do it right the first time. I often don't. No one gets it right the first time, every time. You won't either. If you can accept that you will screw it up every now and then, you will make much more progress. Mistakes are our friends! Except for the mistake of not doing anything- that one's an anathema to free living.

Learn as much as you can from the mistakes of others, all of the rest you will have to learn from your own mistakes, jumping in after a little research is wise. Here's the best advice I can offer you:

1) Solar mounted right to your roof will turn your van into an oven, i would seriously avoid that choice and instead mount them at least 4 inches above, idealling with something between them and the van to act as a radiant barrier.

2) If you are getting 600 watts, completely avoid costly 12v panels, get yourself two 300w grid tie panels along with an MPPT charge controller, what you save by purchasing the grid tie panels versus the 12v panels will easily pay for that upgrade and you will have more power with the more efficient MPPT controller.

3) Craigslist "AGM" and see if you can source some large power supply batteries, I got mine in great shape for $0.60 a pound and they do amazing, I had a 6,400 watt battery bank for about $250.

4) A 24v battery bank will save you money in wire cost, it will also allow you to un slightly more efficient things like 24v inverters. ABC Electronics in MN has an amazing deal on some 24v 1,500 watt psw Cotek inverters right now.

Tucson when you are running 24v battery banks. how do you power your 12v stuff? highdesertranger