Hauling a Motorcycle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarfersnarf

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience here? I just sold my heavy 650 and now I am looking into getting a lighter motorcycle probably a 250 dual sport. Any recommendations? I want to keep up with traffic on the highway but don't want to kill my mpgs too much when I am hauling it to the next spot.

Nope, can't be done. :p 
Especially not with a 700 cc Street bike.
Are you crazy?
IMG_20170828_121933-640x480.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_121933-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20170828_121933-640x480.jpg
    83.7 KB
Hitch tray. Trailers kill mpg numbers and make parking a pain.
A little bike will mount to a hitch tray no prob.

Gideon33w said:
Hitch tray. Trailers kill mpg numbers and make parking a pain.
A little bike will mount to a hitch tray no prob.

I am planning on having a cargo trailer already, so I might as well utilize it. I might still think about doing the hitch tray in addition to a smaller trailer than I originally envisioned. Most of the places I will be going to I will be able to park the trailer, so it won't be too much of an issue parking.

I haul my 650 inside my cargo trailer, and can still sleep in it on the road. But a 250 would make a nice run about. I like both the Yamaha XT and the Honda CRF models in newer bikes. Or if you don't mind older I love the little siblings to my bike - the KLR 250 and Super Sherpa are both bulletproof bikes like their big brother the 650, but in a much smaller and easier to handle package.

d082b18a35a0f93df376c841944a7238.jpg

Not saying it's a particularly good idea, but my 460# f650 fits on the hitch tray. Made it from MT to AL.

snarfersnarf said:
I am planning on having a cargo trailer already, so I might as well utilize it. I might still think about doing the hitch tray in addition to a smaller trailer than I originally envisioned. Most of the places I will be going to I will be able to park the trailer, so it won't be too much of an issue parking.

Jk on my previous post btw. 
Are you asking for recommendations on the hauling part or what bike to get? Not clear from your response....

For me, a 650cc Vertical twin or single cylinder water-cooled engine is the perfect and best handling motorcycle: period. They have tremendous torque to drive Safely, even at expressway speeds; and they are small enough you don't generally have to worry about speeding tickets. Cops know you have to stay away from packs of multitasking drivers. There are limited ways to carry them. If you use a trailer, States seem to be headed towards a 55 mph MAX for ANY trailer rule. And carrying them on the bumper is inviting no-good for nothing vandals, imo. Ymmv.

the wrr is probably the most highway capable. I like the Honda but it's heavy, like 320. is the klx fuel injected yet?

Sent from my BLU_STUDIO_XL using Tapatalk

I've had several dual sports and ended up with the Yamaha WR250R.  Its fuel injected -hit the button and go.   Good solid steel frame on the rear for packing gear for trips and will do 65+ without fuss.   It is fully capable and light and nearly bullet proof.  Not too friendly for shorter people but there are lowering mods as well.

snarfersnarf said:
Does anyone here have any experience here? I just sold my heavy 650 and now I am looking into getting a lighter motorcycle probably a 250 dual sport. Any recommendations? I want to keep up with traffic on the highway but don't want to kill my mpgs too much when I am hauling it to the next spot.

A 200-250 dual sport MC won't do more than ~65mph. That is WFO without wind. Minus headwind, Add tailwind. Add a little MPH if you lie on the tank. Any grade change will add or subtract MPH.

The MC weight will be about 280-290lbs.

The effect on a decent size tow vehicle MPG if you already drag a trailer is negligible.

Tow vehicle MPG factors.
  Your  tow vehicle.
  Your trailer.

Dual Sport MPH factors.
  Your Personal Mass and Drag.
  Elevation changes.
  Wind direction and velocity.

Free advice based on personal experiences.

I don't want to mess with smaller bikes, so my Vstar 650 fits my 6 x 12 cargo trailer just fine, with tons of room left over.
It will cruise 70-75 mph all day long. I do, however have a nice Honda CT70 that has a new 125cc motor...

That Yamaha is a good choice as is a TW200 maybe, & Honda revived their 250 adding fuel injection instead of the carb which was a source of complaints.

TW200 won't go hwy speeds, but is a great bumper thumper...that's the bike I'll have on the rear.  The WR250R probably will go hwy speeds, but I wouldn't want to do it al lot...too twitchy with wind. DR650 is a reasonably light and capable dual sport, but quite a bit heavier. I lust for a WR250R but it won't do as well in the desert sands as the TW200.

For lighter dual purposes after much research the Wr250r Yamaha is the best that I have read about. They say it is actually quite a smooth bike on the highway. 6 speed I think.. The other one you could look at is a DRZ400

I carry a older Kawasaki KLR 250 on a hitch mounted carrier.
I use it as a grocery getter, riding trails bike.

Spitfire Riggz said:
For lighter dual purposes after much research the Wr250r Yamaha is the best that I have read about. They say it is actually quite a smooth bike on the highway. 6 speed I think.. The other one you could look at is a DRZ400

DRZ desperately  needs a 6th gear and fuel injection.

WR is fantastic, and most expensive of the small dualsports by a significant margin.

tx2sturgis said:
CSC is a fairly new company importing small bikes that are well-liked and not very expensive.

I have not owned one myself, but might consider one if it turns out to fit my needs later on...

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com
CSC imports Zongshen motorcycles from China. The bikes are sold around the world but not in the US under the Zongshen name. Chinese bikes using the Honda CG engine clone like the CSC TT250 are a great choice for everyday use. Inexpensive but very reliable and they run just about forever.

Cool posting! I have a Honda 700cc CTX it weights 500+ pounds. I tried a carrier listed for 600lb and it just seemed/felt unsafe. Considering buying a trailer, but have never driven with one. Considerations for security with the carrier may outweigh pulling a small trailer. I had smaller bikes before (250/300cc) and they are just not safe driving on the highways. Has anyone carried a 500+ pound bike for long periods of time on the back of a van in a carrier?