Has anyone gone through acclimation from Hot to Cold ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get acclimated to the cold after living where it's always warm?

• Not really

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • A little

• Oh for sure! Eventually.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Have a few more drinks and it'll warm up nicely for ya

• Total voters

PeterPiper

Reaction score
I've always lived in warm climates.  anything below 70F starts to feel cold for me.

But lately, with the way the world is changing, I'm yearning to go to places and spaces where there are fewer people, and usually that means colder places.

I see videos of Foresty Forest, who lives in a van....in Canada and he even seems to have to fight to stay warm at times.  Always bundled up.

So, does the body adjust to the cold after a while or is it always a deal breaker?   I cannot even begin to imagine those people living in the artic circle or near Siberia in Russia.   How they do it is amazing to me.  Heck, some people hate the heat and prefer freezing cold temps.

It's one of the reasons I will have not one, but two 5000 btu diesel heaters installed in my go van.  Sure, I'll also have a zero degree sleeping bag stowed and warm clothes, but I want to lay in bed at night in my van, 10F outside in my skivvies and be totally comfortable on top of the sheets. I can afford $1.oo a night for that luxury ;-)

But I'm wondering if you eventually get used to the cold?  Acclimated?

There are those of us that saw wicked cold every winter and blistering heat every summer. Right now near Flagstaff we are seeing 50 degrees or more temperature swings daily from the 30's to the 90's. You can always heat or cool the inside of your rig but you have to go outside eventually.

The cold is easier because you can bundle up. Excessive heat takes a little while to get use to. It was really odd to see people that swore they would simply die at 80 degrees sit outside at 104 saying how much nicer it was because it had cooled down from the daily high of 117.

The one problem I see now is if I do get cold the arthritis in my back really gets to me all day long even if I do get warmed back up.

having lived 10 years in Alaska I can attest that you do indeed adjust physically and mentally to the cold.

38 below and people are walking around all bundled up. It's funny cause you never know what's going to crawl out of the vlayers of winter gear.. lol... it's that fella or lady???!!

once you get below -10 it all feels the same. You can't much tell the difference between -10 or -30... it's just cold.

Weeks of -20 followed by +20 days is amazing and your likely to see people in shorts. I'd visit family during the holidays flying down to Washington... 30 degrees and everyone is frozen and I'm in a t-shirt and shorts.

I definitely prefer the heat over cold. Gladly take 100 over - 20
People die often in Alaska because of the cold usually in combination with alcohol.. it's really sad. In places like Alaska you resign yourself to a long cold winter. Mentally that is far easier than places that tease with melt/freeze. Having hope for a quick easy winter in Alaska is a fools quest.

I feel the same about the way things are going on here in the 48. I figure a boat is my solution to much of that concern... otherwise I'd buy a parcel in AK and get a little cabin while it's relatively easy(cheap).

Funny thing in Alaska is that in winter all temperatures default to negative when speaking. When you say 20 in December it is known you mean -20.

desert_sailing said:
having lived 10 years in Alaska...

I lived in central Canada for two years after living in Virginia and Utah all my previous life. Yeah, you get used to it. The first year, by the time it warmed up to 0°F we were going outside without coats.

I grew up in Eastern Canada where we had four very different seasons.  In September, when the university season started we would see students from nearer the equator with parkas, hats, mittens and boots.  Us locals would be in shorts and T-shirts and go swimming or tubing in the afternoon.  

Now I live near Vancouver.  I miss having 4 seasons but I kind of like the idea that I can see winter on the mountains from where I live.  I can visit it if I want to but, I don't have to live in it.

On the other hand I grew up with winter and I've spent many years working in hockey rinks.  I know how to dress for the cold.  Heat kills me.

MG

A long time ago a buddy of mine said, "when it's cold you can always put more clothes on, But when it's hot you can only take so much off". So true. Highdesertranger

A long time ago a buddy of mine said, "When it's really cold you can die of exposure, but when it's really hot the worse you will do is sweat, and the best you can do is find a swimming hole and enjoy it!"

I moved from Hawaii to Chicagoland, it was summer when we made the move and it was warm & humid when we arrived. Having 4 seasons was different and I did adjust to the cold.
The biggest lesson was learning that a real winter is a regularly scheduled natural disaster, if you are not ready the cold will kill you.

FWIW after a 13 year vacation in the upper mid-west (Il, MI, MN) I moved to someplace that does not have a real winter. If I NEVER see a sub zero temp again it will be alright with me!

becida said:
I moved from Hawaii to Chicagoland, it was summer when we made the move and it was warm & humid when we arrived. Having 4 seasons was different and I did adjust to the cold.
The biggest lesson was learning that a real winter is a regularly scheduled natural disaster, if you are not ready the cold will kill you.

FWIW after a 13 year vacation in the upper mid-west (Il, MI, MN) I moved to someplace that does not have a real winter. If I NEVER see a sub zero temp again it will be alright with me!

Here!  Here!  [img=60x80]https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack....acebook/65/clinking-beer-mugs_1f37b.png[/img]

"but when it's really hot the worse you will do is sweat"

Well that's not really true. The heat will kill you just like the cold will. Have you ever been in 120° weather and no shade?

Highdesertranger

My kayak instructor told us that a great risk of hypothermia occurs at around 40F, when people are not prepared because it's not that cold.  Then they get wet and/or exposed.

Two of my ancestors froze to death in Colorado:  one in a cabin in Leadville; another on her front porch, key in hand, in Denver.  The latter had taken off most of her clothes.  The brain requires a lot of blood, and confusion occurs when it is redirected.

I personally have seen several people "go down" from excess heat--some of whom absolutely "know" how to prevent heat exhaustion.  It is really disconcerting to be talking with someone, then see them just drop.  Part of a summer gig I had for a few years included radioing First Aid when that happened.  I much preferred spotting likely cases before that time.

When I moved to Texas from Ohio, I'd see stars after being outside for a while.  During last winter's storm, I remembered how much I hate bitter cold.  Yes, I believe you do adapt.  My favorite is dry, cool air:  crisp.  Mmmm.

highdesertranger said:
"but when it's really hot the worse you will do is sweat"

Well that's not really true.  The heat will kill you just like the cold will.  Have you ever been in 120° weather and no shade?

Highdesertranger
Definately here in Summer. There's only so much water you can drink until you feel sick.
No longer work in Summer here due to the 44 C deg days inland and threat of starting bushfires cutting granite with hand tools.
- 4 C deg here atm. You can work out the F conversion.

Skipped the poll,
I've never lived anywhere that it didn't get cold in Winter.
I dress in layers as appropriate for the seasonal daily high/low.
Seasonal adjustments occur naturally over a matter of weeks.

Caveat: One time in 1976 I spent from February through May in Fort Lawdydah, Floriduh. Nights were cold. Days were nice until late May.
The day I left at 5AM it was 80s degrees and 80s humidity, Reminded me of summer days in Minneapolis/St Paul.

I actually like cold weather; I grew up in Northern Minnesota so I am well acclimated to cold.  It usually takes me a weekend to adjust to colder weather.  I enjoy winter so I come back every winter.  I never really adjust to hot, especially direct sun when it is hot.  In 6 months I have gone from -22ºF to +100ºF. 

Actually the effective temperature (heat index for hot weather and wind chill for cold) is more important a metric than thermometer temperature.

Being aware of your body temperature, and knowing symptoms of the environmental risk you face, whether hot or cold. Having aid supplies on hand such as mint cake and hot tea for the mug up.

For cold:
Fleece. 

And a good down vest, some wool socks, thinsulate in your hat, and baffin boots for around camp. That's what it takes.

Sleep area well insulated and good sleeping bag or quilts. Some use the hand warmers for extra heat in the sleeping area, dogs also will warm you. 

Much more difficult to go from cold to hot cos you can't just add layers. For heat I rely on chill its, water, electrolytes, and regular breaks for cooling down. Consider being active at night instead. Remember that electric power grid is a shared resource, so AC no lower than 78 degrees if you are on the grid. After a day or two of exertion in the heat, take a day off to heal your bod.
-crofter

I loved the cold. -30 or -40 was better than -20 because the wind usually didn’t blow. Where -20’s usually the wnd chill factor was -50 or -60. And in northern Minnesota the snow would just keep piling up. Snowshoeing was a favorite thing for me. It was a peaceful time of year in the back country. Now my bones don’t like it at all. So the whole desert thing was quite appealing last couple years...
This weekend I ran a canoe down to San Jose area. Then shooting up I-5 north of Sacramento my thermometer was reading 111. My air conditioning was down. Builds character!

Heatstroke is no joke. I grew up in a hot climate and got heatstroke at work (long story) and I was really sick. And I was 30 years younger and stronger. So heat is just as bad as cold. We have senior centers and cooling centers in the summer here.

True.
But it's also true that different strokes for different folks.  get it ???

um...what I meant was I think some can tolerate the hot better and some can tolerate the cold better.
I'm basically allergic to cold temps.  It's why my "RV" will have 2, 5Kw diesel heaters.
But that said, I enjoyed the hell out of snow skiing the last time I went.

But on a 115 degree day in AZ....no problem.  Let's go biking or hiking.  Just take fluids.
I think it also depends on your health and physical condition.  I've always been athletic and a bit of a healthy nut.

Yes heat stroke is no joke it was just less than a year ago I had it. My blood pressure was down to 40/20 (That’s nearly dead, to “Mad Max” The doctor believed that it was at least worse than by, if not caused by by dehydration. And I thought I was doing well with the water. Well and water no pun intended. I spent five days in the hospital on IVs. No joke. I carry a notebook with me for other things and I started recording the actual amount of water I was drinking on particularly hot days just so I didn’t deceive myself into another heat stroke.