Has anyone considered this Mod yet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smell snake oil :D

I have no idea if they work or not, but one MythBuster episode that has always stuck with me was the one that tested effect on MPG on pickups with tailgate removed, in place, and replaced with one of the custom jobs you see to promote aerodynamics. Turns out it made no difference at all...if anything, might have favored the stock gate. Another one I liked was they debunked the myth that running your AC effects mpg. Turns out that was only true if you not only didn't run AC, but also kept all your windows up...

In reading online, I see everything from 20% fuel improvement, to nothing. :dodgy:

They have been on the market for many years, and in my opinion, they would be more well known if they worked.   :s

$2.50 each!   :(

if you go on ecomodders.com and type in airtab you will see all the debate you have to on this with some people actually testing them, in a nutshell I wouldn't waste my money on them there are other ways to improve you aero that cost less with better results

These were designed for semi trucks. I'm not sure you would get much improvement with them on a van maybe on an rv. Semi's move air around them like a wall going down the road at 65 mph so there have been a lot of designs to improve fuel milage with aerodynamics.

Over on ttnt.com a guy put them on his cargo trailer. reported not much change in mileage, but said it did seem to not sway back and forth as much at speed.

Bob Dickerson said:
I remember the old stabilizer fins on cars in the 50s.

Yeah.  Of course, that's back when they thought we were gonna have atomic powered flying cars by 2010.

The future ain't what it used to be . . .

Regards
John

If they actually did anything positive every fleet operation in the country would be flyin em.

If these weren't $1,800 I'd consider one for my Trailer.
6.6% fuel savings at 65 mph...
CYMERA_20130927_191941.jpg

you can build them for a lot cheaper, I added some to my kurbmaster only not as long the results are also not as good. I plan on extending the top and the sides from above the tail lights,DSCN1263 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1263 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1263 (640x480).jpg
    266.3 KB
Kurbmaster- do the fins you added help minimize the dust that clings to the rear of vans?

I have wanted to try that and some sort of air dam to see if it helped mileage and all that GD dust on my lights, cameras and solar panels.

A little off topic.

Air dams are proven to help.  Look at any modern vehicle and you will see them.  The NASCAR guys put them down to within a couple of inches of the track.

Keeping the dust and dirt off the back?!?  IIRC Oldsmobile and a few other station wagons had a flat piece across the back attached to the roof rack that directed air downward to offset the updraft from under the vehicle.  YMMV

karl said:
Kurbmaster- do the fins you added help minimize the dust that clings to the rear of vans?

I have wanted to try that and some sort of air dam to see if it helped mileage and all that GD dust on my lights, cameras and solar panels.

I had neveer thought of that so I went back and checked some photos after driving hundred of miles on the TransLabrador highway RIMG0059 (640x640).jpg
the back of the truck looked like this at camp that eveningDSCN1376 (640x480).jpg
as far as improving fuel economy it did very little, however it did stabilize the van at higher speeds, the front air dam made some major improvements, I also grill blocked it and have installed skirts. I have not given up on the rear I do plan on enlarging the fins above the taillights, just need a bit more thought on how to go about it. the way I made these was, I made a piece of flat stock alluminium folded over on both ends then bent inwards at 3/4 inch  about three inches wide the height of the fin so when screwed down it is sprung I then over bent my shape with little feet that when spread bounced back behind the first piece that was screwed to the wall basically holding there by the spring effect then ran a bead of caulking on each side to finish it off and make sure it could not work it's way off. they are about at a 12 to 15 degree angle.  not sure that is clear . I hope that helps you out. they have been there for at least three years, so to answer your question it looks like it helps keep dust off but I never noticed if dust accumulated before.

Attachments

• RIMG0059 (640x640).jpg
    RIMG0059 (640x640).jpg
    196.6 KB
  • DSCN1376 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1376 (640x480).jpg
    264.6 KB