"Harriette" 2003 Chevy Express 1500 Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a same size 97 this weekend (hopefully). Wish I had the time and budget to do as clean of a build as you're doing. Nice job. The preparation will reward you.

Gideon33w said:
Getting a same size 97 this weekend (hopefully). Wish I had the time and budget to do as clean of a build as you're doing. Nice job. The preparation will reward you.

Thanks! We're proud of the job so far. I look forward to seeing what you do with your own build. :)

gargoyle said:
Lose the sign.
Love the woodwork.

If a LEO ever wanted to, I believe it is illegal to sign your vehicle falsely. No business license, you would need commercial insurance, commercial registration, some states require a CDL while driving a commercial vehicle, etc...
IF the LEO really wants to play tough, they may impound the vehicle.
Plain Jane blends in all day, every day. It'll just be another white van going down the road.
We're kinda hot and cld about the signs now. Luckily we can choose when to is them cause they're magnetic. Idk. Maybe it's a bad idea.

Just a quick update: 

We replaced the mini fridge with the Max Burton 37Q 12v fridge/freezer. We should be good on power now.

TheKarmaVan said:
Just a quick update: 

We replaced the mini fridge with the Max Burton 37Q 12v fridge/freezer. We should be good on power now.

Debating getting one of those myself. Let us know what you think.

TheKarmaVan said:
Hello, Hello, Hello!!!
<-------->
6) We added a speed limit sign to the back as well. We figured it would keep people from tailgating, make our fake company more believable and allow us to travel at the optimum gas efficient speed. 

Because this post is already quite long I'll create a second post of all the new gadgets and parts we've bought but have yet to install!
Good idea on the max speed limit sign. I met a couple in Vegas living in a VW van that put a yellow and black caution sign that said slow moving vehicle on the back of theirs. They said it worked well. They watched aggressive drivers pull up on them shaking their heads, then watch their expressions turn to smiles after they read it. :p
Good build you two have going on.
Yeah, I want to hear your impression of the Max Burton too. :)

hey, I have seen the VW unless there is more than one running around with that sign. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hey,  I have seen the VW unless there is more than one running around with that sign.  
It was the only one like it I have seen, and you probably did see the same one. A young just married couple living in it, and were headed north out of Vegas a bit more than two years ago. I think I saw it once more parked somewhere around Nampa Idaho. I have pictures of it in one of my phones.

highdesertranger said:
hey,  I have seen the VW unless there is more than one running around with that sign.  
It was the only one like it I have seen, and you probably did see the same one. A young just married couple living in it, and were headed north out of Vegas a bit more than two years ago. I think I saw it once more parked somewhere around Nampa Idaho. I have pictures of it in one of my phones.
large.jpg

Things are moving pretty quickly now. We have about 30 days from now to get this van finished. Our lease will be up and full-time Vanlife will officially begin. Here's our latest progress:

1) We installed the bed. We chose to only have two middle support legs and have the rest all supported by the metal frame of the van. It's super strong and we're proud of the final look. We used 2x4s for the frame and 1x4s for the supporting slats. The top is 1" ply and we drilled holes for the air to circulate(allowing the mattress to breathe and prevent mold). The top right is a cut out so that we can easily access the battery from inside the van. 

2) We carpeted the surfaces of the bed to add a barrier between the rough wood and the foam matresses. It also creates friction to prevent them from sliding while we're driving. We like the look as well.
33jld7c.jpg

1234j2c.jpg

3) We added a cabinet unit that will have a sink installed in it soon. Nicole was the builder/designer on this project. We made the cabinet using 2x2s to construct the frame. we locked this in against the wall and bed frame with a few nails. There are no other secure points aside from some glue along the base. The 1" ply left-overs from the bed make up the rest of the table top and walls. We used a hand made track(2x4 and strips of 1x1 trim molding) and another piece of plywood. It's a simple design and eliminates a hinged door from obstructing the small space. The counter is split into one secured side(right) where the sink will be installed and one removable side(left) to access the fridge below. 

4) We've added trim to cover the edges of the floor and also stop things from sliding out from under the bed.

5) And, though you can't see this modification, we used neverwet on all the interior fabric to repel water and dirt from outside.

Nice. I really enjoy the speed to quality ratio of your build. I don't know your height but I'm assuming you have the bed setup to function as a couch without bumping your head? Doesn't look like you went with a hinged couch/bed so I'm curious. In my previous experience I learned that some type of comfortable seating in the main area is pretty much a must. - Also, love the light colored wood. Looks clean and natural at the same time.

Gideon33w said:
Nice. I really enjoy the speed to quality ratio of your build. I don't know your height but I'm assuming you have the bed setup to function as a couch without bumping your head? Doesn't look like you went with a hinged couch/bed so I'm curious. In my previous experience I learned that some type of comfortable seating in the main area is pretty much a must. - Also, love the light colored wood. Looks clean and natural at the same time.

I'm 5'8" and Nicole is 5'4". We are able to sit up in bed easily with headspace. We also have two small folding chairs. They are designed for a children's table but they are just the right size for the small space and tuck away easily behind the driver and passenger seat in the cab. 

Also, thank you for the compliments. We are really pleased with our work so far. Regarding the light wood, keeping the space light and bright always makes it feel more open. We knew our small space would need a clean look to feel comfortable for the both of us. Keep checking back cause we have some really fun design stuff coming. We're excited to share our ideas with everyone!

I'll echo that: very clean, very stylish. I like the contrast of the light wood and the dark mattress cover.

I think I might just change my build a bit and include sliding doors on my kitchen cabinet. It should give me quite a few more inches of depth not needing room for a hinged door to swing out. Thanks!

Putts said:
I'll echo that: very clean, very stylish. I like the contrast of the light wood and the dark mattress cover.

I think I might just change my build a bit and include sliding doors on my kitchen cabinet. It should give me quite a few more inches of depth not needing room for a hinged door to swing out. Thanks!

Most of that dark material will be covered by the actual mattress pads. We just used it as a mold proof barrier that's moisture resistant to keep everything clean and comfortable. Glad we inspired you to try the sliding doors. They really do save space.

TheKarmaVan said:
I'm 5'8" and Nicole is 5'4". We are able to sit up in bed easily with headspace. We also have two small folding chairs. They are designed for a children's table but they are just the right size for the small space and tuck away easily behind the driver and passenger seat in the cab. 

Also, thank you for the compliments. We are really pleased with our work so far. Regarding the light wood, keeping the space light and bright always makes it feel more open. We knew our small space would need a clean look to feel comfortable for the both of us. Keep checking back cause we have some really fun design stuff coming. We're excited to share our ideas with everyone!

That actually makes me wish I was shorter, lol. I like the little folding chair idea. I have a small 3 leg fold away camping stool that I like to use when doing kitchen activities. Keeps me from being hunched over or pressing my knees into the floor. Same idea.

That is a great point with the lighting. During my most recent build my buddy initially criticized me for using white paint but by the end he understood the need for lighting and feel. If I could have afforded the light wood I would have gone that route though. A little added home/cabin like feel can o a long way in a little van. Same for avoiding clutter which is why I went with such a long cabinet and closet.

Oh, I'm checking back on this thread regularly :) --- Hope to see you two at RTR too.

Great build. XXX on that light wood it looks very nice.

Alright, ladies and gentleman! We've made leaps and bounds these past few weeks. I am really proud of our van so far and so excited to share it with you. We've officially sold all of our furniture and other things that won't fit in the van and we are only 12 days away from van life! Here are the new modifications we've made to the van!

1) WE DID IT!!! WE HAVE SOLAR! Our 2 100w Renogy Panels are up and running. We're getting about 38amps into the charge controller. That's pumping into the battery and running the fan, fridge and lights at moment. It doesn't make a dent in the battery level with full sun. We are so so so excited. We were pretty nervous hooking it all up but we did our research and got great results! Woo hoo!!!

We've also mounted the remote for the fan alongside the charge controller and the inverters on/off switch.

Please excuse the mess of unmounted fuses and wires dangling. These shots were taken during install. Below is the battery box(weatherproof tub from walmart) and a peek inside at the two terminals with the DC bus-bars.

Here's the inverter installed under the bed.

2) We've put in our feature wall. It was a weird idea but i really like it actually. There are still a few details that we are adding for decoration but this is it. 6 faux box hedge sheets make up the wall. We trimmed them to fit and screwed them into the wall (more to come).

3) We've finished the wood on the kitchen area and made it all water proof. We also added a backsplash and a few hand made tiles for decoration. The sink and pump installed as well. We have water!!

These are our water tanks with the foot/hand pump installed.

Here's the Max Burton tucked away in the cabinet.

Things are really coming together. We're very excited. We will do a video tour once it's 100%.