"Harriette" 2003 Chevy Express 1500 Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great!! Are you guys putting in roof vents or a/c unit?

Thanks for the pics! Looks like you guys are making awesome progress! Which foot pump did you get?

Regarding the leak.
Have a look at this guy. He is a car mechanic and has been using AT-205 Re-Seal for decades. Apparently, it really can stop leaks.

I never believed in that kind of stuff and never added any additives to any of my cars, but this stuff I might actually consider.

I have not used this product and recommend doing some research, and maybe folks here will know if this works or if its crap.

LMTLMT said:
Looks great!!  Are you guys putting in roof vents or a/c unit?

We are planning on putting a fantastic fan or a maxxfan on the roof. We've marked in the spot bad everything. We just can't seem to find the right low profile vent. Any recommendations?

dr_nelson said:
Thanks for the pics! Looks like you guys are making awesome progress! Which foot pump did you get?

Regarding the leak.
Have a look at this guy. He is a car mechanic and has been using AT-205 Re-Seal for decades. Apparently, it really can stop leaks.

I never believed in that kind of stuff and never added any additives to any of my cars, but this stuff I might actually consider.

I have not used this product and recommend doing some research, and maybe folks here will know if this works or if its crap.

I'm a little skeptical and hesitate to put anything into my oil. Anything that can gum up and stop a leak could potentially gum up a weak component of the motor. I'd like to hear what others have to say about it though.

find out where the leak is from,something external(oil pan,valve cover etc)try tightening the bolts,if everything is tight,replace the gasket
if it's your rear main,just live with it until it's really dripping,thats a pretty big job to replace

and no more sunbathing while i am up here wallowing in the mud

TheKarmaVan said:
We are planning on putting a fantastic fan or a maxxfan on the roof. We've marked in the spot bad everything. We just can't seem to find the right low profile vent. Any recommendations?

When you say low profile, do you mean how much thickness sticking out or in?  For the out, I think majority are pretty much the same, some lids are flatter than others but you can always change lids tho.  If you are not installing a cover, the lids will be taking all the beating on the road so get one that is well made.  For the in - I guess depend on thickness of your insulation too, I have a Fan-Tastic non-powered with no insulation.  The sharp screws is a bit scary looking and who knows not paying attention your head might be screwed lol.  I put windshield rubber hoses on them as a sleeve.

View attachment 12081

First time I actually saw a she wee, interesting design
Mom always just used a coffee can
You folks are doing great work, keep it up, except when you're, you know, sunbathing

TheKarmaVan said:

I bought my Fantastic Fan from Vintage Trailers on line. They offer it with a lid that is very tough grey plastic, and looks like the old fashioned flat aluminum vent cover on older travel trailers. I mostly wanted it because the translucent ones get busted in hail storms here in the summer, but it sits very low also.

as far as the sending unit. you should make sure it's bad before replacing it. hook an OHM meter to it and see if it jumps around like the gauge does. this is a common mistake people do, they just start throwing parts at it without really knowing what part is bad. highdesertranger

ArtW said:
First time I actually saw a she wee, interesting design
Mom always just used a coffee can
You folks are doing great work, keep it up, except when you're, you know, sunbathing

The she-wee was a must for us. Knowing that we will be able to use simple water bottles that have screwcaps and the easy clean up is huge. It's especially important to have in bigger cities where leaving the car at night isn't something we want to do often. We're also big on hydration. We both feel so much better when we keep our bodies pumped with H2O. We know that staying healthy and detoxifying your body while living in a confined space is so so helpful!

LMTLMT said:
When you say low profile, do you mean how much thickness sticking out or in?  For the out, I think majority are pretty much the same, some lids are flatter than others but you can always change lids tho.  If you are not installing a cover, the lids will be taking all the beating on the road so get one that is well made.  For the in - I guess depend on thickness of your insulation too, I have a Fan-Tastic non-powered with no insulation.  The sharp screws is a bit scary looking and who knows not paying attention your head might be screwed lol.  I put windshield rubber hoses on them as a sleeve.

I would saw/sand down those sharp points and screw some plastic bumpers to the end. Protect your noggin dude! :)

Gary68 said:
find out where the leak is from,something external(oil pan,valve cover etc)try tightening the bolts,if everything is tight,replace the gasket
if it's your rear main,just live with it until it's really dripping,thats a pretty big job to replace

and no more sunbathing while i am up here wallowing in the mud

We plan to de-grease the whole thing and tighten bolts as best we can. Hopefully, the pan gasket is all I need to replace. That shouldn't be a horrible thing to take on. It's the other seal that scares me. You're right.

Hello, Hello, Hello!!! It's been quite some time since I've posted an update on our Harriette project. Don't worry, we've been hard at work all this time. We've had a few hiccups along the way, regarding the mechanical health of the van, but everything has smoothed out and we're making major progress. Here's what we've got:

1) The paneling is up and it's the start of the clean finished look. This was the first time we got a glimpse of what the finished project will look like. We went with 3/8" flexible wall panels. They are fairly light and easy to install. We just attached them to the studs we installed in the walls and they fit like a charm. We did have to do a bit of cutting and trimming at the back end to fit the curvature of the van but not much. We used baseboard trim to cover the seams in the paneling and we'll be installing the led strip lights underneath the lip for a softer glow. :)
2dloq5x.jpg

2) We put the Maxxfan Deluxe 7000. This project was a bit of a struggle since we chose to start late in the day and when we ran out of butyl tape halfway through we had to race to the store before it was closed. We couldn't just leave a 14x14" hole in the roof! Then we had some issues with the roof flexing as we tried drilling in the screws. It wasn't quite a nightmare but it wasn't fun either. I'm glad it's over and the fan is in. We've yet to hook it up because solar was the next project in line. 
vfcfv6.jpg

3) 2 200W Rigid Monocrystalline panels from Renogy went up on the roof. We installed them lengthwise at the back for ease of cleaning and also for the most flush fit. We're happy with them. We ran the cable in through a water tight port. This way we don't have to worry about the wiring holes leaking. It's a nice snug fit with a good seal. 
15cze8.jpg

4) We've decided not to use paneling on the partition. Instead, we've carpeted the backside over the foam and we'll be putting a surprise feature in instead. I'll save that for later. We also used the same carpeting to cover any other bits of exposed metal that the paneling doesn't conceal. It's a nice finished look and adds a touch more insulation to prevent condensation. 
v2r6o3.jpg

5) We came up with a fake company for when we park in suburban/urban areas. We chose a wildlife control company for a few reasons. 1--we can park overnight and not seem suspicious because that's typically when animals like raccoons and skunks are active. It makes sense for us to be there. 2--We have a reason to have climate control in the back of the van. People will assume it's for animals, not people. 3--It's versatile. We can be parked in a city outside a storefront, near homes in surburbia or out in the middle of nowhere. Also, we've made them magnetic signs so we can easily take them down. I've also cleaned up all the residue from the previous owner's stickers.
25tequh.jpg

6) We added a speed limit sign to the back as well. We figured it would keep people from tailgating, make our fake company more believable and allow us to travel at the optimum gas efficient speed. 
1zl6mfb.jpg

7) We started the bed! This has been an ever-changing design. First, it was going to be free standing boxes that could shift. Then we thought about doing a PVC bed. We went to Lowes with plans of buying material for a standard bed with slats. Then, we were shifted into a new direction and have settled on a bed with no legs or supports. The whole thing is mounted onto the metal frame with L-brackets. We will have optimum storage under what will be fairly close to a queen sized bed. We've barely gotten started but we're excited nonetheless!

8) We also built up the partition on the cab side with more insulation and filled the gaps before carpeting the whole thing with gray auto carpet to camouflage the door and block out light.

9) The floor is in!! We felt good about this bit. It's really starting to come together. We rolled out the laminate and glued it down bit by bit. We used basic tin roofing trim to create clean finished edged at the back and side door. It will also serve to protect the floor from clumsy feet stumbling in (mine, of course).
1z4v7sh.jpg

10) We added a little door sweep to seal up the bottom of the partition door. Small but great addition to the insulation/appearance of the interior. 
28gxua0.jpg

11)Nicole has also made some incredible window covers that we mounted into the back of the van already. They have 2" of foam padding so they are comfortable to lean on in the bed and decorative as well.
vermop.jpg

Because this post is already quite long I'll create a second post of all the new gadgets and parts we've bought but have yet to install!

one thing about those signs. where is your license number? you need a license to trap, remove or do anything with wild animals. it's a dead give away that it's not a legit business. keep in mind I am against trying to deceive with phony signs. I feel the potential is there for getting in more trouble with the phony sign then not having a sign. BTW the wood looks great. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
one thing about those signs.  where is your license number?  you need a license to trap,  remove or do anything with wild animals.  it's a dead give away that it's not a  legit business.  keep in mind I am against trying to deceive with phony signs.  I feel the potential is there for getting in more trouble with the phony sign then not having a sign.  BTW the wood looks great.  highdesertranger

I suppose you're right. We would need a license if it ever came down to someone questioning us face to face. We're hoping the sign give people less reason to question our presence. Sometimes less information causes people to worry more.

The build looks amazing so far!

I'm with highdesertranger on the sign thing though. There have been threads with the point made already that now your van is recognizable. People notice things like that, particularly if they haven't seen it around before. Personally I've had nothing but positive curiosity over my build. People come by, want to see inside, ask a bunch of questions but all with enthusiasm. I'd feel pretty ashamed if I had to tell any one of them that a business advertised on the outside is falsified. Just my two cents...

I like the safety first/55 mph decals and the reflective on bumper. totally blend in like a work van. I ok with the sign idea but how about something more plain jane like say a "produce/fruit/vegetable" company or a florist company. something very plane sign like "AA Produce" or "AA Floral" and should tie in with the roof vent in stealthy mode.

Lose the sign.
Love the woodwork.

If a LEO ever wanted to, I believe it is illegal to sign your vehicle falsely. No business license, you would need commercial insurance, commercial registration, some states require a CDL while driving a commercial vehicle, etc...
IF the LEO really wants to play tough, they may impound the vehicle.
Plain Jane blends in all day, every day. It'll just be another white van going down the road.

I love the signs.  You don't have a phone number or address; you're just stating a fact.  You are probably just a lover of wildlife who takes pictures for a book you are doing on wildlife.

I raised 4 girls; I understand!