Harbor Freight Tools Which May Be Adequate

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used an HF motorcycle jack unit (lifts the entire bike) for many years, without any problem. It's the orange one, around $50 to $70, depending on sales.
I have their air tools set and torque wrenches, which also work well after several years. And a couple good five gallon jerrycans for gasoline (before the silly 'safety' spouts were mandatory).

I have purchased air tools that have been used regularly for years, without much care, for ridiculously little money. Ratchets for $10 and a little air sawzall for $9 come to mind. Everything goes on sale eventually if your patient. That being said I'm not sure I trust their hand tools.

I beat the snot out of My HF angle grinder, only issue is the power cord needed to be shortened and reattached inside the casing as the stranding broke.

Their Oscillating tool, the 120vac version gets pretty warm but i've used it a LOT too.

Most of their other tools I consider disposable or just will lend them out to tool killers who do not know how to use tools.
Some of their Pittsburg ratchets and sockets are not bad, as long as you are not making a living with them. or using them with a 3 foot breaker bar.
My good tools nobody but me uses.

I'd recommend skipping their wire terminals, and i've found their heat shrink tubing, expands and loosens after a period of time.

I like their camouflage tarps

Those multi-packs of small LED flashlights are garbage. Half need some reworking inside to get them to function and all fail after some time.

I use the 12 volt air compressor My only problem with HF is the closest one is far away, they don't allow em in San Francisco ???. Or it's too expensive to set up shop.

I always take my coupon for the small LED flashlights. Of about 10 I have around the places, one stopped working. Many have received new batteries and continue to work very well.

I've used a 6" vernier caliper and dial indicator from HF for several years with no problems. Not for precision work but for ballpark on small engines, motorcycle fork tubes,disk brake runout, etc.

A cheap angle grinder from them burned out really quickly so I don't buy any of their power tools anymore.

You remind me, I have a simple slide caliper from HF. Used it for handloading early on but it really wasn't precise enough. I replaced it with a vernier dial unit from Franklin Armoury. Can't "cheap out" when you have high pressure stuff close to your head!

Worked well for me:
Miter saw (replaced the blade with an Oshlun blade)
air riveter
12 volt air compressor
flashlights (1 out of 10 didn't work)
plunge router
electric body saw
heat gun
step drills
drill bits
heat shrink
cable cutter
wire cutter/stripper
extension cord
multimeter
power strip
zip ties
bungee cords
tarps

Not so much:
1/2" belt sander - belt runs crooked
angle grinder - wheels don't fit properly
quick clamps - slips, doesn't hold
hand riveter - jams easily
trim router - collet didn't fit the bit properly
wire terminal set - cheap, flimsy metal. wires pull out easily
tape measure - poor design. tape gets caught on a plastic piece and won't pull out
plastic tool box - can't carry heavy tools without the lid popping off

Overall, their stuff has been hit and miss for me.

this is really mind boggling. I wish all of you that buy this stuff would go over there and work in one of these factories for a month. if these factories were here in this country everybody would be screaming bloody murder. but since it's across an ocean it's somehow ok. highdesertranger

I used to be a real stickler on USA built stuff. It's been impossible to do for years now!

can-o-worms Yah buy American Yah workers unite yah. Let them figure it out I purchase soo many things on the secondary market, but still when I walk into a 99 cent store that certain smell just repels me. HF same thing, do they have a spray scent that they just spray everything with?? It just smells cheap,,,,,, sorry.
It's like buying a camera charger on ebay for 2.99 free shipping from China how does that happen??

Pros:
1. One of my sons bought a 6" digital caliper there, it seems pretty good.
2. I like their heat guns, they work and they're cheap enough to throw away and buy another when it dies.
3. Their heat shrink, though with people having bad reports about it, I will have to keep an eye on it.
4. Tyraps.
5. Same son bought a router there, seems ok though it runs hot.
6. Their 1/2" drive sockets seem ok.
7. The cheap angle grinder is ok.
8. We have a stationary belt sander that seems ok.
9. Tape measures are ok.
10. The scissors they sell, similar to the army med kit ones are ok.

Cons:
1. Their pop riveters, I've bought them but they seem really cheaply made, and take an excessive amount of force to pop a rivet.
2. Ditto their riv-nut tools.
3. My son bought a router there, it gets too hot to hold!
4. Crimping pliers are crap.
5. Drill bits seem to die prematurely.
6. Their aviation-style metal shears are crap, the jaws don't meet.

@highdesertranger: I hate buying the stuff but when I have to fix the van I gotta do something. Nowadays I'm lucky if I can even find tools made anywhere else, yet alone afford them.

Does anyone know if SnapOn are still US made?

I just E-mailed Snap-on with a request for info. I asked if their tools were still American-made, and what warranty they give on the tools. Will pass along their response.
I worked one summer as the General Rental Equipment mechanic for the local U-Haul store. We had the Snap-On guy come by at least once a week. I never bought any of his tools, as I had what I needed and had little money - was making minimum wage with no bennies. So no direct experience with them. But the other mechanics regarded Snap-On as being top notch.

Back in the day of union shops reps would come in and look through your tools to make sure all your tools were union made even your overalls. Snap-on was union so was Bluepoint and a variety of smaller like Williams. Not so much these days.

LeeRevell said:
I just E-mailed Snap-on with a request for info. I asked if their tools were still American-made, and what warranty they give on the tools. Will pass along their response.
I worked one summer as the General Rental Equipment mechanic for the local U-Haul store. We had the Snap-On guy come by at least once a week. I never bought any of his tools, as I had what I needed and had little money - was making minimum wage with no bennies. So no direct experience with them. But the other mechanics regarded Snap-On as being top notch.
I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and back in my working days I bought and used Snap-On tools almost exclusively, they are topnotch. That being said, I also have to add that Sears tools seemed just about as good, and a good bit cheaper.

I'll be interested to hear what Snap-On says...