Harbor Freight Solar Panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always read the reviews before buying. I like Harbor Freight their gear is usually pretty good.

It has been a few years but when I checked them out the frames were flimsier than other brands. Depending on how well they are supported it could be a problem in mobile environment.

You can get used panels that perform very good from San tan solar. That might allow you to have more watts on the roof depending on your roof sace layout. You could get 350 watts for less than the cost of a 100 watt renogy.

A Renogy 100w mono is only $7 more on Amazon. Not much of a savings even if you bought 4.
YOU HAD TO TELL ME THAT DIDN'T YOU??? ;)I noticed something close to that as well. Pretty sure the Renogy panels were more expensive when I bought them. Now that I have these, I see they have the SAE, and not the MC4 connectors. Any savings I might have had, has been eaten up buying the appropriate adapters. In case anyone was wondering, they do have sturdy aluminum legs for tilting and facing the sun, iN case anyone was going to take them camping. I will probably ground mount them, and use them for household backup power, and couple them with a Bluetti power station to insure food is not ruined in freezer and fridge. It's always nice to be prepared when the power goes out, and we really don't need all the rest of the power normally used. They will be put to good use in spite of the fact I never double checked prices. 🙃

YOU HAD TO TELL ME THAT DIDN'T YOU??? ;)I noticed something close to that as well. Pretty sure the Renogy panels were more expensive when I bought them. Now that I have these, I see they have the SAE, and not the MC4 connectors. Any savings I might have had, has been eaten up buying the appropriate adapters. In case anyone was wondering, they do have sturdy aluminum legs for tilting and facing the sun, iN case anyone was going to take them camping. I will probably ground mount them, and use them for household backup power, and couple them with a Bluetti power station to insure food is not ruined in freezer and fridge. It's always nice to be prepared when the power goes out, and we really don't need all the rest of the power normally used. They will be put to good use in spite of the fact I never double checked prices. 🙃
I've actually retrofitted all my Renogy panels (suitcases and standard) with SAE connector adaptors, I like them them better than the MC4s. I've tried to standardize all my solar equipment connector wise to keep things simple with all the different types - MC4, SAE, Anderson, etc..

I buy stuff at HF all the time, most of its just fine.

Cheers!

i have 2 sets i sometimes use. I also have 4 sets i have never opened .out at BOL. just never got around to putting them together. dont live there any more, i think they are good panels, controllers were junk. i use a better control.works great.
keebler in Va.

Harbor Freight is fine. I've bought some things there that are great and some that are trash.
About the same ratio of hit/miss as Home Depot or Walmart.
Main thing is to know what you are buying. Power tools at Harbor Freight are borderline criminal. Some are just as likely to take a finger off than cut wood.
OTOH I got a great RivNut tool there for a lot less than anywhere else.
Also some rope lights for when I'm camping at ACEUS campgrounds have worked great for 6+ months in all weather.
Their Pelican style cases are great too. Got them for all my music gear. Well the expensive fragile stuff at least.

I have 2 newpower poly 100 watt panels
They were both between $70 and $80.

Also have three 50 watt flexible and a small 20 watt aluminum frame poly, which runs little but is cute lol

2 of the 50 watt I got free because the seller on Wish Wholesale was selling them at 200 watts and when I proved it was not the truth they refunded my money and I still got the panels.. Great Deal

The poly panels work fine... You can find them on Amazon under $80

On eBay newpower sells them with dinged frames, I have seen the poly 100s for $67

good luck with your projects.
I bought 3 .100 watt ,less than $100 e. from New power just haven't done any thing with them yet ii did install a 50 watt on the side of the house NOT completely wired to my battery's yet either. a 20 watt i did install on the roof of my shed to a switch & lawnmower battery to operate 3 7"x 1/2" led car running lights i got on e-bay lights my shed without having to get a permit and licensed electrician to do it off House power panel. im limited as to what i can do (medically). so i move slowly on projects.
take care
keebler.

Latest posts