Harbor Freight Quality, Comparisons

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had hit and miss with tools from harbor freight.

I've had a box cutter (nice one something x series) with a lifetime warranty. it completely fell apart after 3 months. how was the warranty well the stores no longer sold them so I would have to send it to them to get replaced. spend just as much or more to replace the item under warranty than it cost.

the cheap 10 buck flashlights seem to have held up. where I work we use them quite often. i first didn't think a 3watt led light would work but they work great for seeing address's at night. they work good but they might not hold up to abuse. I don't abuse my stuff but I lent them out one came back with a broken lens and the other well it never came back. they charge quick though.

also gotten a 3 gallon compressor (low end but worked for my needs), and air tank (still have yet to take it out of the box after like two years), great 2 ton low profile floor jack thats work great for me for a couple of years.

I've also gotten a bunch of odd and end tools, some are great some are ok. all more or less cheap to free so I can't complain.

when I get stuff done to my van and such and can get my fence on my house to have a gate on the one side I want to buy one of their trailers.

After being sorely disappointed in machetes from all the local box stores, including HF, I went to the MidwayUSA website, and ordered the
"Schrade Machete 21" Black Oxide Coated Stainless Steel Blade Rubber Handle Black"

Got it yesterday, and man, this is the ticket!  A thicker heavier-duty blade than the flimsy ones from the locals, a nice rubber handle providing a sure grip, and a very nice nylon sheath.  Big belt loop, but I will add a Molle Strap to it to make it easier to put on without undoing my belt.  It has more of a Bowie style tip, and isn't too long  - perfect for cutting brush in the back forty and for general camp duties.  14.85" blade of 3Cr13 stainless steel.  $19.99 & SHIPS FREE with $25 Orders.   :cool:

[img=454x230]http://i57.tinypic.com/1z5rxah.jpg[/img]

4rox0n.jpg

You get what you pay for at HF. Some of the stuff isn't that accurate, or last forever, if that's what you want there are places to get it.

I have a table and chop/radial arm saw from them. They will drive you nuts trying to make anything really nice with them. They have been wonderful at making the crates I ship peoples art in.

The free or cheap meters are nice, but i would suggest you check them against something you know is correct.

I love the little blue LED lights with the magnet and hook. We used four of those our first trip boondocking in this trailer and thought we were in heaven. A few switches have gone bad but it is what it is. You toss it and pick up another.

I did buy a pair of 9 inch and 18 inch wire cutters hoping they would stay good long enough for my install. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the cashier told me they had a lifetime warranty so if anything happened they would replace them even without the receipt. I could help but snip off a piece of 1/0 when I got home. Those 9 inch went through it like butter with my big hands. Honey will use the 18 inch set when I need help.

I was thinking of a machete, thanks for the review.

The harbor freight machete's definitely on the flimsy side. The handle's pretty cheap plastic and screwed in from one side. Blade feels a little dull too. Wouldn't recommend for serious work, but it's definitely intimidating.

I do have some Harbor Freight tools, and have not had one break yet.  My hydraulic motorcycle jack is still going strong after several years and a lot of use.  Ditto their motorcycle tire machine.  Gotten lots of use from both with my bike and several buddy's bikes.   I use their air hammer set, and their sockets and wrenches.  Only thing I found to fail after awhile was their multiple LED flashlight set.  Of the ten, four had to be stripped and rebuilt after adjustment, and all failed within months.  But they were cheap, no great loss.
Nowadays though, I go to Tractor Supply Store as they are on my side of town, while HF is across town.  When I worked HF was convenient to my job location.

Seems to me I have heard that if you open one of the HF meters up that there is a means to adjust it.

well it sounds like you want to hear a rant. lol. I will not shop Harbor Freight. basically their stuff is junk. not to mention by buying all this junk from China is just propping up their terrible government. you do realize there is no free speech in China many of those who speak out are imprisoned and forced into forced labor to make things to sell to stupid Americans. there is also child labor in China, there is also what most people call slave labor. paying pennies a hour to make cheap junk to sell to the Americans. how about them propping up North Korea, boy there is a great place. what about what they have done in Tibet how does your support of them make you feel about that. btw my use of the words your and you in this post is meant for the general public not to anybody in particular. oh one other thing, how about their environmental record beside taking advantage of their poor they totally thrash their and the worlds environment. ok rant over. highdesertranger

Sharpening that HF machete should be easy.  Just use a medium file and work it a bit at a time both sides, then finish on a medium grit stone.  No need for a razor edge.

I figure HF is good for a cheap temp use item. Also don't forget about Northern tool as well.

I may be the exception,but I have had uniformly good service from Harbor Freight products.As far as supporting China,well Chinese folks are human and have to eat too.Where something is made doesn't matter much in a global economy.

Bob Dickerson said:
I may be the exception,but I have had uniformly good service from Harbor Freight products.As far as supporting China,well Chinese folks are human and have to eat too.Where something is made doesn't matter much in a global economy.

Unless you are an American trying to find a job in America.

That's funny.

When I did have employees it was heck getting them even though I was paying on the high end of the market. Find a driver, someone to answer phones, no issues and they all wanted to be a supervisor even if they had no idea what was going on. Get out there and do actual work, not a chance.

My formal training is as a HVAC repairman. I have had offers to be hired by most of the services in town. Skill trades are scarce anymore, everyone wants white collar jobs. You are lucky if you can find a old fart like me that was taught old school and doesn't need a fancy computer for every little thing.

There are jobs out there. They may not pay top dollar and you may get a bit dirty at times, but they are out there.

I am 70 something. Have traveled back and forth and up and down this nation. I have never had a problem finding a job. The trick is to look for a job, not a specific job. Even now I have trouble being offered jobs when I don't want one. Back to the point, some HF things are good for their purpose, I have air tools and screw drivers as good as any. But, bottle jacks that don't hold. A table saw that was deadly and went back.

HDRanger,You must be a " preferred customer".Whenever I go on a tirade I'm accused of being "angry" and "political"and my post is deleted.I think you are painting with a broad brush with your "stupid americans"comment.

Bob Dickerson said:
HDRanger,You must be a " preferred customer".Whenever I go on a tirade I'm accused of being "angry" and "political"and my post is deleted.I think you are painting with a broad brush with your "stupid americans"comment.

HDR is not a preferred customer. All members are created equal.

However, there are many members whose posts I may only skim (depending on my level of interest). And yes, HDR is one of them. And even though I mostly agree with HDR's comment on Americans (there is scientific data to support it), I am also generally offended by stereotyping and generalizations. The post has been edited.

I'm speaking only for myself, as a moderator. other moderators read every single post.

Now, back to the subject at hand, "Harbor Freight Quality, Comparisons." Any further posts with regard to anything else will be deleted. Feel free to start a new thread on other subjects

The closest HF is over one hour drive. The closest Flea Market is 1 mile. Secondary markets or used stuff works well for me. The one time in HF i was agast I pride myself in having a keen eye for tools the offering was somewhat lacking in quality. I did buy the better 12 volt air compressor. but do not seek them out for my tool needs. In the West indies I noticed a lot of guys made thier own machete's from leafsprings

Many of my tools are from Harbor Freight. Gave HFT the nickname "China Freight Tools" because most of everything in the store is from China, even the American flags. I searched the internet for a "HF Tools worth buying" type guide, and found a couple blogs that weren't updated in over a year. Also searched for a HFT savings guide and couldn't find one, so I decided to write up a savings guide here. Can somebody share this post where it will be viewed by a wider audience? I figured it out so you don't have to.

Harbor Freight Tools Savings Guide:
-Harbor Freight Tools sends out paper coupons for "20% off Any Single Item", "FREE item with ANY Purchase", and even "FREE Item with No Purchase Required". They also regularly send out coupons for their most popular items like the power generators and automotive jacks.
-For many items the coupon price is the same or lower as the "Sale" price during one of HFT many store sales.
-Many of their "Sales" are not worth your time depending on how frugal you are. I found the "Parking Lot Sale" to have the most items lower than the Regular Retail Price, some items even marked below the coupon price.
-In HFT stores, they mix many deals (even at Regular Retail Price) with things you can find cheaper elsewhere.
-HF "versions" of some tools are 20-60% cheaper than a comparable tool elsewhere, keep that in mind when you considering a major HF purchase. On some of HFT's you can get a significantly better quality "version" paying a few dollars more elsewhere. Also, many of HF's power tools and equipment are clones of quality brand tools but made with lower-grade materials.
-Comsumables are where it's at inside HFT. If you're looking for parts and supplies for projects etc., HF has many power tool consumables, drill bits, electrical supplies any many more. For example HFT generic brand double sided foam adhesive tape is half the cost of a comparable roll found anywhere else($1.99 Regular Retail Price vs $3-5 for comparable tape in other San Jose, CA area stores)!
-Harbor Freight Tools without moving parts are good buys as well. Beware, many of the hand tools are made with low grades of metal.
-Always use a "20% Off Any Single Item" coupon on your most expensive Regular Retail Price item and make sure to get your Free Item! HFT coupons are valid in-store, over the phone, or online.
-I've noticed many HFT items having "creative cost shaving". They will go cheap on non-critical components, while keeping the functional part of a tool with acceptable-grade components.
-If you want to get the most out of a HF Inside Track Club membership, have a major purchase or a lot of little items on your shopping list so the savings is more than the cost of an Inside Track Club membership.
-The HFT Product Protection Plan is worth the cost if you can't afford to replace the item if/when it breaks or if you are unsure on how the item will work out for you (say you buy a Predator Generator and you don't like the noise).

This is Part 1, I can not think of any more tips and tricks right now. It's getting late and I need to get ready for bed.