Hanicap camping spots at the RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyra1958

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anyway to prebook a site at the RTR for handicap spots, I will be driving 3 days about 12 hrs each day to arrive there and would be disappointed if I couldn't get a site. I could park anywhere but then I wouldn't be able to get to the seminars. So any info is would be very helpful.

Last year we had several different types of handicap 'parking'. The RTR volunteers will always go out of their way to accommodate those with special needs.

For those that are in wheelchairs, we have them camp about as close to the main seminar area and campfire as they want to get. :D The terrain is somewhat rough so an all terrain or tough terrain wheelchair works best. A regular style wheelchair may require some pushing assistance to get you to the seminars etc. But there are always lots of people around to give someone a hand if they need it.

For those that are more mobile but still can't hike any great distance, there is close but not right at the seminar area - as in within several hundred yards.

There is also parking areas set aside for those that wish to camp further away and 'commute'.

No pre-booking needed, the RTR site isn't set up like a campground with assigned or marked spots.

ok thank you, I think if I get close enough but not to far to walk, as long as I can carry my chair and sit if I get tired I will be ok, just didn't want to be to far out since I will be sleeping in my car and using a gazebo for personal space to change and bath. I'm coming to learn how to go cargo camping.

Almost There said:
 The terrain is somewhat rough so an all terrain or tough terrain wheelchair works best. 

The fresh BLM pavement in the new RTR area should be cured by then.

:angel:

you wouldn't be able to tell me the new area so I can get my maps printed out and plan all my stops along the way, I just need to know if it close to quarzite or where else it is. As I said before it will take me at least 3 days or 4 depending on how much snow we have in Jan. for me to make it down.

Bob's blog post from 2018 has a lot of information that is still relevant. Things are pretty much the same from year to year, except there is more of a need for rules because the RTR has grown so large.   https://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

The 2019 RTR will be a little closer to Quartzsite. I believe it is on the same road that you turn onto to get to the permit station. Here is the approximate location of the permit station road - 33.66621, -114.18143

Thank you, I feel a lot better to be able to plan ahead, i'm very impatient when planning, but very relaxed when I have all the knowledge I need. Need to feel safe that way, If I know exactly where I am going I can plan and be one step ahead of my head and relax.

tx2sturgis said:
The fresh BLM pavement in the new RTR area should be cured by then.

:angel:

just seen a video where Bob announced that its going to be in Bouce which is 40 minutes away from quartzsite, so no i'm not traveling that far from Ontario Canada to not even be near it.

Dang, that’s too bad. No more big tent, flea markets and tons of diverse people

I believe Bob is refering to the Women's RTR not the regular RTR. The Women's RTR will be in Bouse.
This is not very clear in the video -

Here's the transcript 
Starting at 25:53

any updates that woman's RT
are dates yes actually I was just
talking to her the the regular RTR is nine we're we're
gonna I'm gonna have a an update on the 
woman's RTR coming up real soon the
women the men's our regular RTR for
everyone is nine through the 20th and
it's the five days before so I believe 
that's the 4th through the 8th no maybe
it's the 3rd through the I that's as 
close as I can get
it's the five days before the regular
RTR and the regular RT is nine through
the 20th of January it will be in an
entirely different location it will be
in a little town called Baus which is 15
miles north of site so it's real close
but yes all is planned and we have we
have a
do coming up about the WR TR and and 
well eventually the RTR to

Hope the rtr isn’t moving. It’s nice for people seeking jobs to be able to skip over to the big tent.

You’ll always find plenty of folks before and after the rtr in the area. Many at the LTVA. I prefer LaPosa South as there is water and a dump station.

Quartzsite also has lots of activities that people might want to participate in. There are ATV/UTV groups, quilting clubs, artsy activities, line dancing and exercise classes. All free or a very small fee.

the RTR is in Quartzsite. it will be in a different location but only about 1 mile(by air) from the old site. highdesertranger

Thank you so much, guess I will make my final after I get all the information from bobs final dates: just hope its not to late, since I do have to make a lot of plans on, if I bring my dog or not, how much snow we have gotten, because Michigan doesn't sand their roads, it wont be a problem when I go full time since I will be down a lot earlier, but leaving in Jan from Ontario Canada is a lot of snow and we get a lot of white out conditions. I have also traveled the higher states during the winter, and a lot of times a 4 lane highway is down to one lane, so pretty scary. Got a lot to think about, would prefer to do a trip before deciding on what trailer to buy, and since not one person on their how to video's ever show how to connect their wires, I need to find out about that, they always show how to connect all of the solar system but not how to connect the wire's from the plug in boxes. Wish someone would do that. They show putting the wire's and boxes in, just not how they connect  it. Something to think about.

My sister usually uses a wheelchair and we were considering getting a powered mobility chair. Would that work at the RTR

kyra1958 said:
I was wondering if there was anyway to prebook a site at the RTR for handicap spots, I will be driving 3 days about 12 hrs each day to arrive there and would be disappointed if I couldn't get a site. I could park anywhere but then I wouldn't be able to get to the seminars. So any info is would be very helpful.

I saw a drone photo of the RTR from last year, you could see all the vans (lots & lots of RVs now too) spread out all over.  Like Beth said, nothing preassigned but there folks who will help.