Hanging cabin curtains in a minivan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
My current plan for gaining some privacy in a minivan (most likely to be a 2005-ish Toyota Sienna) will be black foamboard on the rear windows, black mosquito mesh on the front side windows, and an ordinary reflective sunshade on the windshield. But I'm sort of wondering whether I'll set up to hang a curtain or other divider behind the front seats, since the mesh won't be completely opaque....

Anybody know of any overhead hooks or what not that might facilitate this? I don't like the idea of attaching anything to the fabric with alligator clips and possibly loosening or damaging the fabric.

triple fold the fabric over peaces of paper board and use binder clips. You can run a string in the binder clip handles or use a screw with a large washer on one side of the handles.

ganchan said:
My current plan for gaining some privacy in a minivan (most likely to be a 2005-

Anybody know of any overhead hooks or what not that might facilitate this? I don't like the idea of attaching anything to the fabric with alligator clips and possibly loosening or damaging the fabric.
I have a fabric headliner on my Toyota previa. I put Sticky back Velcro squares (the hook side) every foot or so along the top of black fabric which I hung along the windows and across the windshield.  They hold adequately and are also easy to remove. It doesn't seem to hurt the headliner. 

It's not a total blackout but prevents my silhouette from showing against a streetlight.

towhee said:
I have a fabric headliner on my Toyota previa. I put Sticky back Velcro squares (the hook side) every foot or so along the top of black fabric which I hung along the windows and across the windshield.  They hold adequately and are also easy to remove. It doesn't seem to hurt the headliner. 

It's not a total blackout but prevents my silhouette from showing against a streetlight.

Yeah, I thought about Velcro. Did you use a particular heat-resistant adhesive to secure the squares in addition to the sticky stuck they came with? Do they get ***** in hot temps?

I think the weight of the curtain matters as much as anything where the headliner is concerned. Some lightweight thermal drapery might be in order.

I might also be able to get a dowel or curtain rod to span the width of the cabin, securing the ends through the driver/passenger overhand handholds. Then just push the curtain part back behind the seats.

Planning the same for my Sienna. Would like to hear how yours turns out. A note on using foam core board, it tends to warp when used I hot or humid conditions. I considered this but decided against it.

Do you have grab handles above each door?
I made some curtains that clip to my grab handles in my Honda Odyssey . The curtains have a elastic cord in the channel.
A carabiner (the smaller ones from the dollar store) at each end. No drilling or damage to the interior.

Folds up and packs away easily.

ganchan said:
Yeah, I thought about Velcro. Did you use a particular heat-resistant adhesive to secure the squares in addition to the sticky stuck they came with? Do they get ***** in hot temps?

The Velcro is the standard stuff 3/4 inch wide you buy by the foot. I cut pieces that were about 3/4 inch long and put them about every 12 to 18 inches along the upper edge of the fabric. 

Ive only used it in coolish temps so far and can't speak to how well the adhesive will hold in the heat.

gargoyle said:
Do you have grab handles above each door?
I made some curtains that clip to my grab handles in my Honda Odyssey . The curtains have a elastic cord in the channel.
A carabiner  (the smaller ones from the dollar store) at each end. No drilling or damage to the interior.

Folds up and packs away easily.

The pictures i've seen indicate that there will be grab handles up front. I could do it that way as long as the curtain doesn't sag too much. A rigid interior support like a rod might help with that, but maybe I can count on the elastic to take care of it. Run a bungee cord through rings in a thermal blackout curtain and secure the hooks at each end to the carabiners or even directly to the handles....

MA-Rider said:
Planning the same for my Sienna. Would like to hear how yours turns out. A note on using foam core board, it tends to warp when used I hot or humid conditions. I considered this but decided against it.

What alternative did you settle on, if you have?

My problem with curtains in the rear/side windows is the fact that they drape pretty obviously, which isn't ideal for stealth. A flat black surface would tend to look more like limo tint at a casual glance. The cabin curtain will hopefully be tucked far back enough to be semi-obscured in dim light.

I've seen people who made curtains and sewed small ceramic magnets t the edges.  These are widely available.
Often used on cabinet doors etc.   You can find them loose in boxes at hardware stores sold each for like a dime
or on cards with plastic wrap.

05c227bf-f141-49e8-babb-eb5b4abc3555_1.973dba8879465f5e57de4ed2ce001a01.jpeg

Just make sure you get the ones with a hole in the center.  I would imagine these could even be glued to our
curtain material.  So long as there is metal to attach it to you can hang curtains with this method.

It occurs to me that there's also the possibly of a freestanding curtain based on a floor-mounted frame, which could be made easily and cheaply out of PVC pipe. (It would also pop apart quickly for disassembly.) 

I consider a freestanding folding screen too, if I could find an affordable one (in black) that would fit in a minivan....Maybe make my own out of foamboard, with fabric tape for the joints....

Or if I'm super lazy, maybe I'll just drape a big black beach towel over both front seatbacks.  :D

So far it looks like the easiest and least invasive method may be to attach a couple of carabiner clips to the driver/passenger overhead handholds. Then hang a grommeted curtain from the carabiners, arching the curtain backward (because the handholds are too far forward) so it runs down the seatbacks. Detach from one end and the whole thing opens up.

Not the stealthiest solution, since the curtain hanging from the handholds will be pretty obvious. But maybe in the dark of night.....

I've heard that leaving a silver reflective windshield cover up at night (which would help conceal the curtain's imperfections) is also bad for stealth, simply because it's an odd thing for a driver to do when the sun is down. What do you think?

spray one side of the shiny reflective windshield cover with black plastidip. should obscure a lot of the visibility - worked in my mvan

These are all great ideas.

Has anyone tried one of those curved tension mount shower curtains? Was thinking the curve might provide a little more space around the seats.

A sturdy shower curtain rod should fit across a minivan just above and behind the back seat. No mounting hardware, held in place by pressure against the sidewalls. 1.25" cafe clip rings can work with any hemmed fabric.
I have hung such across an apartment hallway, very sturdy and easy.

There are "black out " curtains and drapes you can buy... I have them in my current (soon to be sold?) house.

I put a rod across Mulligan just behind the slider opening so I can get in and out easier, but don't have to a/c - heat the entire van while driving, just the cab and front... I hung a clear shower curtain for this...

and I have a grey streaked shower curtain for behind the seats for when I go "stealth"  (rofl like a big gold van can do that!) and the flashlight is shone into the cab area, it looks like a cargo panel.

BUT I have window shades I've made, black fabric around prodex "insulation" which keeps sun or cold from pouring in from windows, and blocks all light... and I bought gold shades for the windshield and doors.

I am hoping to change out the expandable curtain rod(s) for the string ones we used to use in hotel showers for hanging washed out clothes; not sure they make them still, but I have a few. ::D  I've also thought about a thin wire instead of the rod...

I use a strip of velcro to tie curtain back to driver side of van.