Handling auto licensing as a snowbird

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
From what I understand, most states require newcomers to get their vehicles licensed there if they stay for 30 days.

Does anyone do that?  For instance, suppose you spend winter in AZ, and then you go to OR for the rest of the year?

If you're a careful, non-aggressive driver, you might be able to travel under the police radar, but what about the obnoxious dummies who repeatedly do stupid things?

Just wondering -- I hadn't thought about this before.

AZ allows you to stay up to 7 months before requiring local tags. I believe the 30 day thing for other states is only if you're working there. Each state will have a site that lists residency rules.

It varies widely by state and catches many by surprise especially those that work. In Utah you have 10 days after you start work but it is usually enforced only with individuals that cause problems they want to leave. I believe the fine is $500. I was stopped once leaving a small town with a months worth of groceries in plain site and an out of state plate. The officer asked if I was working nearby as mining operations had brought in a lot of out of state people. I simply said I was visiting my son and bringing in some supplies for him. He smiled and told me to have a nice day as he entered my license plate into the system for later reference. I believe California is more of a concern as they have more expensive tax laws that affect individuals and one reason I have not gone there much.

Just don't stay in one state too long. Since you're in an RV it's easy to go somewhere else. And isn't that sort of the point of an RV?

^^^Yes it is and much easier now there are several job openings.

bullfrog said:
I believe California is more of a concern...

California has been trying to crack down on people who claim residency in another state, and might even own a home there, but who live and work in California most of the time. I imagine that a far bigger concern than RVers staying several months a year.

How does said state know how long you have been in said state????
Never mind me officer...... Just passing thru  :D

I think that law is for people moving to the state, not people who are there temporarily, sightseeing, visiting, or living in campgrounds, two weeks in each location... moving from one site to another. Moving to the state would probably include getting housing there and maybe even a job.

I think even if I was part of the temporary workforce in an area, say at an Amazon warehouse, I wouldn't be considered a resident. In any case, the state's DMV booklet, probably available online, would explain residency rules.