Hammock In a Minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spirituallifetime

Reaction score
I just watched this video on how to set up a hammock in a minivan. Could be a useful idea for some. I have never slept in a hammock so I'm not sure how comfortable they are, but I thought it could work for those who are to tall or need more room in a minivan.<br />&nbsp;<br />

Lots of detractors of hammocks on this site.&nbsp; But they are a maritime tradition and many people in 'other' cultures use them as their bed of choice.&nbsp; I'm told the key to sleeping in a hammock in a cold climate is to put a couple layers of egg crate foam or a down comforter beneath you.

I seen that video! Only problem for me is my knee. I don't think that would be possible for me maybe a young kid could do it well like that. Great idea though. HuggZ

I love hammocks..for a great nites sleep and no back pain bc pressure points.. key is to get a big hammock, sleep diagonally and if cold use good ole reflectix between u n hammock. this guy has great idea but i need n want more space more headroom. one or two nites as a 0somthing year old on a road trip might be ok. btw did i mention i love hammocks

This is cool. I had no idea that other people had discovered hammocks as a space-friendly bed.<br /><br />I posted a while back on these forums about using my woven hammock as a bed, and still plan to do so. Once I purchase my van (looking at one this week), I will likely start a sort of biographical documentary on living in my van, and will describe how I set mine up.<br /><br />Being that I will have a cargo van (possibly extended), I will likely be using bolts to create permanent hooks inside of the van. I already have some metal rope eyelets and seat belt to attach the hammock with. Having high-strength and versatile strapping is only a matter of visiting a junkyard, where they gave me over 20ft of seat belt for free. Seat belts can handle over 5000lbs, and up to 6000lbs of weight! The eyelets are to protect the loops on the hammock, which are just bundled nylon thread.<br /><br />Perhaps, considering this idea is still on the fringe of an apparently more and more popular lifestyle, I will make a video of my own describing how to permanently install a hammock into a full sized van. By "permanent" I mean fixed attachments; the hammock is removable to make all space usable during the day. Perhaps, provided I don't mind the slightly dangling hammock, I will have elastic attached to one end of the hammock, pulling it over a pulley, which pulls the hammock taught and against the ceiling when I am not in it. I originally planned to use weights for this in an apartment, but free hanging weights are no good in a moving vehicle.<br /><br />[EDIT]<br />Simply_Lesa is right. Hammocks may be the best bedding possible for people who are sensitive to pressure points. This is more true for woven hammocks, because they act elastic and stretch under you to pull evenly across your whole body. To sleep properly, you need a hammock you can sleep diagonally in, which 'folds' the hammock, creating a very flat crease which you lay in. This guys hammock is great but, because it's short, it has him sleeping with his back curved slightly, which might cause some people problems.<br /><br />I plan to angle my hammock diagonally across the full sized van, then lay in it parallel to the van, between my shelves, sink/stove, etc..

keep me-us posted on yor instalation would ya. being a girl n afraid of welding (i tried to honest) i sure would do this if i could figure it out myself...btw hammock stands generally suck.
wonder if any of the hammock bed ideas from old sailing movies would help

There are camping style tent hammocks out that have what are called snake skins that will slide back when you are using the hammock, and slide over the bedding during the day... this along with a tension based system might make getting it out of the way pretty easy and awesome!

I'm planning to do the same mod for a hammock when I get my van. Have you figured out how to install the hooks yet? I was thinking of having a mechanic install them for me - but would mechanics do that kind of thing?

simply lesa said:
keep me-us posted on yor instalation would ya. being a girl n afraid of welding (i tried to honest) i sure would do this if i could figure it out myself...btw hammock stands generally suck.
wonder if any of the hammock bed ideas from old sailing movies would help
I have been using the hammock stand I made last summer for over a month now and it's working great. I'm so glad I have it, since tying to trees is not allowed where I'm camped. My back loves my hammock.

Guest said:
There are camping style tent hammocks out that have what are called snake skins that will slide back when you are using the hammock, and slide over the bedding during the day... this along with a tension based system might make getting it out of the way pretty easy and awesome!
? My snake skins slide over the empty furled hammock but no way over the bedding. I just zip up the bug net zipper. there's a tarp covering it all. But snake skins are narrow tubes.
Hennessey hammock

I have two hammocks and only use them between two trees for afternoon rest periods.
One of the two states that the proper way to lay in it is to be sideways to the mounting points. This keeps the body more flat as compared to laying lengthwise.
My second fear is falling out.
My third fear is not being able to get fast enough. Ya know, in case of the midnight pee run or being chased by a dinosaur.

regis101 said:
I have two hammocks and only use them between two trees for afternoon rest periods.
One of the two states that the proper way to lay in it is to be sideways to the mounting points.  This keeps the body more flat as compared to laying lengthwise.
My second fear is falling out.
My third fear is not being able to get fast enough.  Ya know, in case of the midnight pee run or being chased by a dinosaur.

Falling out is only a problem with the backyard decorative, meant for a nap type hammock.

A sleeping hammock is built to sleep in for whole nights. Falling out is more rare than being chased by a dinosaur.... :p

If anyone is interested in learning about sleeping in hammocks, there is an excellent forum - www.hammockforums.net

Be prepared to spend many hours learning about hammocks... :D

I checked out the link provided. Tons of info. Then went onto youtube and again tons of info. I'm gonna give it a try.
There are two palm trees in my yard that seem to be the perfect distance apart.

Lacking well spaced trees, a stand is easy to make. I'm hanging in one right now.

I like the idea of a hammock, but I'm a side sleeper and have never been able to take more then a nap in one.

Mattkcc said:
I like the idea of a hammock, but I'm a side sleeper and have never been able to take more then a nap in one.
I'm a side sleeper also. You want to lay on a diagonal in the hammock, which gives you a comfy flat-ish support. Find that spot while lying on your back, then squirm into your side position while keeping the alignment.

Latest posts