Hammock as a bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy

Reaction score
Has anyone used a hammock instead of a bed.?
I'm considering options for sleeping in a campervan.  I can think of better things to do with the bed space.   This would be for full time long term use.   Thanks.   Daisy

Daisy said:
Has anyone used a hammock instead of a bed.?
I'm considering options for sleeping in a campervan.  I can think of better things to do with the bed space.   This would be for full time long term use.   Thanks.   Daisy

I haven't used a hammock as a in a vehicle.  But, I have done some hammock camping.  Your biggest challenge will be finding mounting points far enough apart for you to have a comfortable lay in the hammock.  You will probably need to use the entire length of the van,  Also, there are different styles and sizes of hammocks out there. I suggest taking a look at hammockforums.net.  There's lots of nice folks over there who can steer  you in the right direction.

I hope this helps.

Tom (1960HikerDude)

Hi Daisy,
I think you'd have to try it. I just got a small portable stand so I could use my hammock virtually anywhere. In my humble opinion a hammock is extremely versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not much help, ... and it wasn't a campervan; but I do remember seeing a couple families that used multiple hammocks in various configurations throughout renovated buses/rv's they lived in fulltime so I know it is doable (and supposedly comfortable). There were a few examples on YouTube that might bring inspiration.

The biggest problem with a hammock is the same as with a cot... air circulation under you causes you to lose body heat. I'm sleeping on a cot right now, but I use a Thermarest back packing mattress on top of the cot under my sleep sack. It makes a world of difference in staying warm and comfortable. When I motorcycle tent-camped years ago, I had a short cot and always carried a closed cell foam sleeping pad for that purpose. I'm not sure how you'd do that in a hammock?

There's a fair number of people who do use a hammock inside a vehicle but there are several problems associated with it.

Head on over to Hammockforums.net and do a whole lot of reading there. There's as much if not more information on hanging in a sleeping hammock there as there is info here on cheap rv lifestyles.

I'd have loved to have used my DIY bridge hammock in the van but I would have lost a whole lot of my storage space to it. To get the length I needed for a proper hang I would have had to hang it from corner to corner and by doing so I would have had to keep all that space open to the floor to allow for the hang. I keep my bridge hammock ready to go for hanging outside...can't wait until I get back to forest instead of the desert... :D

In my backpacking days, I always used a hammock: I lived in Pennsylvania, which is very rocky, and it was hard to find a rock-free spot on the ground big enough to pitch a tent. With a hammock, I could sleep comfortably off the ground any place where there were two trees close enough together.

But there are a few things to keep in mind if you want to use a hammock in a van. You may have a limited number of places where you can safely attach the hammock. The weight will place a constant strain on whatever it is tied to, and some parts, such as door handles or cargo gates, may not be able to handle it. The hammock itself is also under constant strain and friction, and it won’t be unusual for the ties to wear out and suddenly break in the middle of the night, dumping you onto the floor.

Hammocks are also not particularly good for cold weather. Because they hang off the floor, there is always lots of airflow underneath you. In the summer, this is nice because it makes you cooler. But in winter, it will rob you of a lot of heat. As a general rule, I view “hammocks” as potentially useful in summer, but not so good in winter.

lenny flank said:
Hammocks are also not particularly good for cold weather. Because they hang off the floor, there is always lots of airflow underneath you. In the summer, this is nice because it makes you cooler. But in winter, it will rob you of a lot of heat. As a general rule, I view “hammocks” as potentially useful in summer, but not so good in winter.

Given the proper style, use and temp rating, underquilts can take hammock use down to sub arctic temperatures. The nice thing about  using a hammock in a van is that you don't have to take quilt weight and carrying size in to as much consideration as you do when you're backpacking or canoe tripping. This means you can go to as much of an underquilt as you need to get to the temperature level you're going to experience. You can also rig extra layers as needed.

I've slept in my hammock outdoors down to about 28 F quite comfortably with my underquilt, and underquilt protector, a fleece liner for my top quilt and my micro fleece thermal sleepwear.

As Lenny said, stress points on your vehicle are going to be something that needs to be thoroughly understood. Not impossible but education is definitely the key here.

I saw a video (think it was one of Bob's) where a lady had a hammock in her vehicle - had it attached to the visor mount. I was thinking oh-uh.

My personal temperature record in hammock camping in the winter is -5 F. If you're going to hang in that kind of weather, you'll need a down under quilt and a down top quilt. The under quilt attaches the bottom of you hammock. The top quilt goes over you. Together they form a nice toasty cocoon that will keep you warm.

When I hit the road, I don't plan to hang inside my rig. But, I do plan on bringing my hammock camping gear. It doesn't take much room and will be a nice option for those pleasant nights to when I decide to sleep outside.

Almost There said:
I've slept in my hammock outdoors down to about 28 F quite comfortably with my underquilt, and underquilt protector, a fleece liner for my top quilt and my micro fleece thermal sleepwear.

You must be lots more cold-tolerant than me.  ;)  I've tried a few different purported underquilts, and never found one that worked for me.

Actually, I'm very, very intolerant of cold - that's why I'm in AZ for the winter!... :D :D

It's not just the underquilt that makes the difference, although they do come with different temp ratings. It's all about how the underquilt is adjusted to fit properly and prevent drafts.

Most hammock hangers go through a definite learning curve on adjusting their hammock for a good lay and then adjusting the underquilt to maximize comfort. That's where the experience of a whole group comes in handy. Just like here, Hammockforums.net group can help with all that information.

The nice thing about hanging indoors like in a van, is that you're protected from the breeze. One just has the temperature to deal with and not the wind.

I slept in a hammock instead of a bed in my old apartment.  It was nice because it took up so much less space and it's also really good for your back (you're not putting weight or strain on any part of your body).  I have to agree that it's ideal for summer and not winter as much, although you can make it work by bringing a bunch of blankets into your hammock.

I'm planning to put a hammock in my current van build.  I'm going to attach bearings to the frame on opposite ends of the van to hang it from.
However, a lot of people use their under-bed space as storage in their van builds which is quite valuable.  I'm actually thinking of putting in a twin-sized bed/couch, which can be used as storage, as well as having my hammock.  That way I can sleep on the bed when it's cold, have the extra storage space, and also be able to sleep an extra person if I need to.  Something to think about.

I gave this some thought a long time ago.  If it were in a Van...I was thinking of drilling holes in the door frames of the front doors and back doors and using "S" hooks through those holes.   This would create 4 points.  Between the front doors a rope with a loop tied in the center would be the anchor point for one end of the hammock.
The same with the back doors. 

I decided against it as I'm nearly 200 lbs and nearly 6 ft tall.   BUT...for a smaller female who may weigh much less than I do,  it may be doable.  I would recommend getting one of those "egg crate" foam rubber bed mattress covers and cutting it to make a foam mattress of sorts to lay on the hammock.  It may prove useful in insulating
you from the cold.  If you ever sleep on a canvas cot when it's cold....you'll know the sting of the cold late at night.  

You'd still have to roll up your hammock each morning and put it in a duffle bag to stow it.   The only drawback with this is you wouldn't have a permanent bed to go lay in whenever you would want it.

I have no winter experience but have camped out in milder weather and slept in a hammock with a simple Thermarest sleeping pad between me and the hammock. Worked fine for me in those temps, down in the 50's if I remember. Inside a vehicle with no breeze to contend with you might even be able to go colder.

I'm currently building out my van and have no plans for a bed/mattress. My hammock with under/over quilts will go up/down each night. I figure not having a bed will free up a ton of space.

With good under/over quilts, one can easily be warm down to 0*. You have to be willing to spend the $$$ on goose down...

And Almost There is absolutely correct, an underquilt is worthless if its not fitted properly and drafts are finding their way in.

I hang in my mini van. If you compare the price of a built in bed and the added weight, it is an excellent option. Less wear and tear on the vehicle, better MPG. The hammock stows away quickly and leaves all the floor space for hauling large items.

At 6'-5" and 330 lbs, if I can do it..anybody can. :rolleyes:

The back of my minivan is only 4 feet high, 7 feet long, 4 feet wide, 8 feet diagonally.  I'm 5' 9", 220 pounds.  How long a hammock would be appropriate?  How long would the suspension need to be to avoid outrageous stress on the vehicle?  Is 8 feet enough space or would I need to extend into the front area?

Almost no suspension.
 I did very short loops (aka soft shackles) at the hammock ends to get as much sleeping area as possible. My van's (Honda Odyssey) measurements led me to a DIY 9'-5" hammock. The sag of the hammock when occupied is around 4" off the floor, allowing the underquilt to fully loft and insulate. Warm down to 8* so far, and cool in the summer with lighter insulation.
My hammock hangs diagonally, drivers side at the rear and from the passenger side "B" pillar. Passenger seat is tilted forward for clearance.

I tried the webbing over the roof, and I had leaks. But it is a fair weather option.
I drilled and bolted a couple of cargo clips to the interior and now the hammock is completely inside.