gunk/build up in flexible tubing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanda

Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen?  I purchased food grade tubing and have only been using it for a few months and only with safe water.  There is this weird buildup inside of the tubing and it's kind of flaking off now...I noticed it because when I was filling a pot with water all of these flakes were in the water...kind of scuzzy, slimy pieces.  So gross!  Has anyone had this happen?  Why would this happen?

More importantly, how do I clean this?  I'm trying a vinegar solution now but am hoping someone else with experience can help.

Sounds like improper care and or cleaning of your lines . Try 5 percent bleach to water and clean at least once a month. Make sure all is clean before adding to your tank / container.

I realize this sounds naive but is this standard practice amongst van dwellers? I've never read anywhere about regularly sanitizing flexible tubing/sink lines. You guys all do this??

I think I'm going to need to start fresh and buy new lines at this point and sanitize monthly from here on out..

a lot could be going on here.

yes, I regularly sanitize my whole fresh water system. not once a month but about twice a year.

what color is this stuff? can you post some pics?

what type of tubing are you using, got a link? I wouldn't use the spiral type that can trap water in the grooves. it blows me away that a lot of RV's use this for the fill hose.

where are you getting your water?

does sunlight hit your system?

highdesertranger

I find that they get scummy in a short time like a slime build up especially at he end of where I put it in my tanks. I use the clear line for my hand pump so I can see it get worse and worse. I have tried cleaning them but that is not easy to get in there so I just replace it every once in while, part of the regular maintenance, I try not to think about what is growing in there, I don;t drink that water without boiling it.

Build up could be bacteria, it could also be calcium. Municipal water systems maintain a chlorine residual in the water distribution to avoid bacteria. But chlorine gradually dissipates, especially in small containers such as RV tanks. Many water systems add calcium, sometime other chemicals, to the water supply to coat pipes and fittings in order to prevent lead and copper leaching from plumbing. Municipal water systems are responsible for the water through the system as well as private fixtures such as sink faucets.

Long before modern commercial cleaners, simple ingredients were used for household cleaning and is non-toxic.
Baking Soda (base) has many uses including cleaning. Distilled Vinegar(5% acid) can be used as a disinfectant. 
A combination of baking soda with vinegar together is a powerful cleaner, surface buildup, clog remover & odor eliminator. 
And preventitive measures will make maintenance easier in the long run.

Thanks HDR for the comment on the spiral tubing, that's so obvious I can't believe it never dawned on me.

@highdesertranger - you can see from the pictures below where the gunk has kind of flaked off. I did purchase the flat surface, food grade stuff but that is great info concerning the grooved tubing. No sunlight hits my system. I get my water from either my parents house (well water) or the fancy reverse osmosis stuff from the grocery store. It's all potable water. I don't think it's mold that's growing, fingers crossed.

Everyone - thank you all for the info and suggestions. My plan is to just scrap this tubing (I've already disconnected it and will buy more tomorrow) as it's really cheap. I will plan on sanitizing every other month to for now. I'm just surprised that it only took a few months for this gunk to build up.

Attachments

• IMG_3946.JPG
    IMG_3946.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3945.JPG
    IMG_3945.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
I am no expert but that looks like hard water build up, Calcium? take some and let it dry up then put a couple drops of vinegar on a piece. Does it fizz? highdesertranger

Another option for cleaning water tubing is to look to see what Camelback and other water bladder users are doing.  Both REI and Camelback have cleaning kits.  I use a new, clean, appropriate sized rifle cleaning mop, but I have long enough rod to get 1/2 way through my tubing.

I just use a bleach solution in my Camel Back followed by a vinegar rinse. the dedicated cleaning kit does make it easier, especially the drying part. highdesertranger

The main problem with RV water hoses and containers/tanks is that they usually never dry out, and a slime forms that is *probably* a combination of mold and natural minerals in the water.

Several years ago, I was reading about WaterBobs, foldable plastic containers (like an 80-gallon balloon) for emergency water storage in disasters. Prior to a hurricane or other imminent disaster, you would unfold one in a bathtub, and fill it up from the tap, and seal the stopper. But after it was emptied and there was no immediate need in sight, it was advised that you discard it because you couldn't dry it out and mold would began growing in it.

I live in a small town that has its own water service. Well water is pumped into a large tank on top of a hill, and it is gravity-fed to our homes. Every summer, they pour bleach (sodium hypochloride, I think) into it to kill or reduce the mold.

As mentioned above, for you, it would probably less trouble to just replace the plastic hose, unless it's easily accessed and removable, in which case you could just fill it with a bleach solution and stopper both ends for a bit, then drain, release, rinse and replace.