Greetings from a Newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Carney

Reaction score
Hi All - I'm new to the topic of nomadic living. You know how the internet works, you start looking for a place to buy a good pair of boots for winter and you end up watching interviews on Youtube with retired professional wrestlers. One night I was searching online for places to do dispersed tent camping in the Illinois/Iowa area, which led to information on stealth camping, which led to information on stealth van living, which led to Bob's channel and his videos.

I'll be retiring in a few years. I'd love to arrange my life so that I spend summers someplace cool and winters someplace warm. Maintaining a condo, apartment, or some such dwelling in two places is financially out of the question. But living as a semi-nomad for half the year seems doable. One way or the other I'll be keeping a vehicle on the road. Why not make it a vehicle that does double duty? Actually, the idea of doing it full time is intriguing. But I have a significant other whose wishes need to be considered, and he has a definite preference for living in a building. So, perhaps a compromise ...

In any case, I'll be spending time reading threads, learning what I need to know, and trying to get a realistic picture of this lifestyle. The first part of the adventure will be learning. After that, we'll see. I don't need to make my mind up this week.

Regards,
Kevin Carney

Welcome Kevin to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Hi Kevin and welcome. You come across as a funny and thoughtful person. I hope you have a great time and have interesting experiences. Best of luck!

Welcome; the significant other may change his mind (or not) as you get closer to, and finally, on the road. Have also heard many stories about one partner needing the security of having a "real" home to return to from time to time; but are not adverse to being on the road for 9 - 10 months out of the year (not all at once, lol)

Welcome aboard the crazy train Kevin !
Allllllllllllllll Abooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaard !
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Having a bug out vehicle ready to go has lots of advantages. Extended trips is one, but I like having it for shorter trips in this rural area as well. Camping enroute for a two hour trip can turn a chore into a mini-adventure. Lastly, having an emergency 'bug out' option always available is very comforting to me.