Grape Solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ValerieP said:
Home Depot has a 200 watt panel kit for 399. Has anyone heard anything about this brand?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-200-Watt-Off-Grid-Solar-Panel-Kit-GS-200-KIT/203505912

ValerieP,
I own, use and recommend them. I called their Customer Service about possible ‘EMP’ damage, they were very helpful and spoke English! The panels are a good deal, and quality and performance are excellent.
Here’s a link to my blog about 100-watt Grape Solar panels I use. http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2013/10/solar-panels-arrived.html

Ok- I ordered them- now for a proper battery- any suggestions?
And, will I need anything else?

What is the intended use? Portable? Roof mounted? Van? RV?

What do you plan to power? Fridge? Laptop? 

You will need the battery(s), probably a battery box of some kind, maybe a fuse panel, LED lights, possibly a digital voltmeter or monitor, roof brackets if roof mounting....

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, 200+AH @ less than $180 from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

If you only have 200w solar input, make sure you draw down 20-30% less AH than you put in each day, depends on tilting or not, weather etc.

Goal is to make sure the bank gets to 100% full every day, that and shallow drawing will make them last for many years.

I would like to mount them on top of the hightop on my van, and I watched part of one of Jamie's videos that did that with some super duper tape. But, could also put a roof rack on, but I don't know if I would like the aesthetics. Hmmmm- I am going to try to talk my son's into installing them when I go to S Carolina next month.
I read that I should have at least a 100ah battery.
I will be powering a fridge, electronics, lights- maybe other stuff periodically, if those items will work.
Are the golf batteries sealed?

ValerieP said:
Are the golf batteries sealed?
No, what makes you think you need that?

Good quality deep cycling AGMs are a lot more expensive and not as robust.

John61CT said:
No, what makes you think you need that?

Good quality deep cycling AGMs are a lot more expensive and not as robust.

Sealed do I don't have to worry about adding stuff to them and so there isn't any off gassing- mind you, I am just like a parrot, repeating what I've read!

Yah that little bit of trouble is well worth it financially.

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, 200+AH @ less than $180 from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club.

The three quality AGM vendors in the US market are Odyssey, Northstar & Lifeline. Lots harder to find and very pricey. Need to be more precise charging to spec, more expensive charger, not as well suited to solar's low amps, won't last as long.

Most people aren't bothered by the occasional smell from FLA charging, if you notice can just crack a window.

If you are, then simple enough to get a box and vent outside.

Quite frankly, I didn't even know what it was, so after I read the link I was curious... I think I learn about a lot on this forum inadvertently!

Bob, I did watch the newest video last night, and I am a little worried about the Grape solar. Is it as good or better than Renogy?
Enjoy the day!

Trojan now makes an AGM 6v golf cart battery as well as the famous lead acid version.

rvpopeye said:
Trojan now makes an AGM 6v golf cart battery as well as the famous lead acid version.
Do you know for a fact that Trojan makes the AGM in their own factory? East Penn's aren't nearly as good as their flooded, and although Rolls/Surette's are supposed to be just fine so far, they are outsourced from China.

For AGM I only recommend Odyssey, Northstar & Lifeline, but only if the install really does require AGM for a good reason.

Latest posts