Grand Caravan Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopicma

Reaction score
I wish I had started taking pictures from the beginning.  I am "designing" this to be non-permanent if there comes a time I have to resell the van.  Highly unlikely.

1 - Removed 2dn and 3rd row seating.  This was easier than anticipated.  3 to 4 bolts per seat, and out they came.
2 - Plywood floor and vinyl covering.  I bought way too much covering, but I can replace the exiting one if it tears during build.
3 - I stared with the kitchen galley area.  i will need to tweak it a bit, but it shaped up well.
4 - Bed...  It's going to be tight.  I am glad of being short for a change.  I need to figure out a way to break the bed down so I can access the front seat wells. 
5 - Reflectix in the windows.  Easy-peasy, and I added dark gray felt so the tinted windows are black from outside.  I need more felt for the hatch back window.  I am also working on an outside door-windshield-door Reflectix wrap for long term boondock parking.
6 - Added a Reese hitch to the frame.  This is to accommodate swing out hitch and storage box.

Attachments

• Van Convertion (1).jpg
    Van Convertion (1).jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Van Convertion (2).jpg
    Van Convertion (2).jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Van Convertion (3).jpg
    Van Convertion (3).jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 100
Is that a big ol' propane tank I see?  If yes, are you planning to keep that inside your sleeping area?

CityWoman said:
Is that a big ol' propane tank I see?  If yes, are you planning to keep that inside your sleeping area?

I planned on strapping it in somehow, but yes it will remain inside.

crackedpan said:
nice job, i see a meijers bucket, you from michigan?

Yep, good old Michigan.  Nice landscape & cold winters.  I can't wait to get out of here!

Work continues...  I played around with the roof racks I purchased.  So far, this has been the biggest problem of the build.  Of the 3 brands i purchased, none of them worked well.  I managed to horse these two on using a grinder.  As long as they don't fall off and can hold my solar panels on, I'll be happy.

I made an attempt to flip hte passenger seat, but snapped off a Torx bit! Maybe later...

Attachments

• Roof Racks - Aug 2019-1.jpg
    Roof Racks - Aug 2019-1.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Roof Racks - Aug 2019-4.jpg
    Roof Racks - Aug 2019-4.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Roof Racks - Aug 2019-5.jpg
    Roof Racks - Aug 2019-5.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 23
lopicma said:
Work continues... 
I made an attempt to flip the passenger seat, but snapped off a Torx bit!  Maybe later...  Today I made another run at the passenger seat.  ...and broke another Torx bit!!  I found the CORRECT way to remove the front bolts (that keep breaking the bits), by loosening the nut under the bracket, instead of loosing the Torx bolt.  BINGO, it popped right out.

Flipping the seat around, I found that I can only get to the bolt holes closest to the dashboard.  However, there are locator pins on rear of the seat bracket.  So... I drilled out a couple of holes to accommodate the pins.  

The good news is, the seat CAN be flipped around.  Having eyes on the side view mirror is tricky, but I can see it, and there is still plenty of storage in the foot well.

Attachments

• Passenger Chair Reversal-1.jpg
    Passenger Chair Reversal-1.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Passenger Chair Reversal-2.jpg
    Passenger Chair Reversal-2.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Passenger Chair Reversal-3.jpg
    Passenger Chair Reversal-3.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Passenger Chair Reversal-4.jpg
    Passenger Chair Reversal-4.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 24
48"x15"x15" storage box.  Fits great, and no interference with lights or plates.

Hitch  (3).jpg
Hitch  (2).jpg
Hitch  (1).jpg

Attachments

• Hitch  (1).jpg
    Hitch (1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Hitch  (2).jpg
    Hitch (2).jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Hitch  (3).jpg
    Hitch (3).jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 19
I like that box setup. Does it swing out to the side? I also like the reversed seat. I have one in my Suburban. I removed the headrest to minimize the blind spot. T

I wish there was an easier way to spin the passenger seat around and I would do it to my ftc... I think being able to use that seat really increases your room in their. Box looks good too! I want one of those swing away hitches and box...one day lol, first i need the receiver.

My regular mechanic reversed mine for free in my Suburban (and also pulled out the center console). That was a favor, but I suspect it took them no more than an hour. It absolutely makes the passenger front seat nice to sit in as a "living room" and opens up the inside of the vehicle. BUT the reversed seat should NOT be used to transport persons while travelling IMO since the front dash airbag could deploy and inflate on impact against the back of the reversed seat (causing whiplash or much worse)---yikes. t

Hello fellow Caravan owners, I have purchased a 2010 Grand Caravan SE with Stow and Go seating and I would like to build a conversion utilizing the space best as possible, figured with 10 years producing the same vehicle same dimensions hundreds of thousands if not millions of these vans have been converted some using AutoCAD. Hoping to get my hands on an AutoCAD design specifically to save me from doing dimensions ground up. Any files, concept drawings, recommendations or opinions that may help me in my build I would greatly appreciate. Thanks & happy travels.

Nice!

Hoping to get a Caravan myself (with the stowaway seats) for the extra storage.

I like the storage box at the back! Might do that myself and use it as my garage!

I agree Markw, that storage box would be a great addition, mainly easy access. There are storage container you can put on roof, but I don’t want to climb up to get whatever I was after. Hmmmm add to my list lol