Government Shutdown

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Reaction score
If the government shutdown happens how would that affect BLM land and the RTR?

Neal said:
If the government shutdown happens how would that affect BLM land and the RTR?

No effect. It's only like 8% of government and BLM is not in that 8%.

I thought offices closed and you would not be able to get the required free permit.

National Parks were closed during the shutdown in 2013, but all it means with BLM and National Forest Service is rangers won't be on duty and, if you wanted to get permits, maps or other info at their field offices, they will be closed.

The rtr location is not a controlled access location so you can visit but the permit situation needs addressing.

they are BLM permits yes but they are issued by private parties. campground hosts and this year we at RTR are issuing the permits. I wouldn't worry about it. highdesertranger

See attached

Attachments

• BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 10
The talk on the Big Bend chat board sounds pretty positive and they have seen it all. The advice is if the gates are left open just go on and camp and don't worry about lack of camp hosts and figure out your own waste issues. If they do close, there are always the State Parks.

MrNoodly said:
National Parks were closed during the shutdown in 2013, but all it means with BLM and National Forest Service is rangers won't be on duty and, if you wanted to get permits, maps or other info at their field offices, they will be closed.

Good information! I'll be leaving from Ohio next Sunday and do a slow crawl out west.

RVTravel said:
See attached

Reading the contingency plan. I'm not sure how to interpret the following info on page 2:

Visitor Management: The BLM will close and secure visitor centers and facilities on public lands. Visitor activities that require a permit may be canceled or postponed. Contracted operations such as trash collection and toilet cleaning will be suspended. 

Then under the next section:

Special Recreation Permit Authorizations and Concession Leases
...Other events scheduled to occur during the government shutdown will be canceled, postponed, or suspended. Vendors’ operations will be suspended.

Individual permits in special areas - No new entries or activities will be allowed at the time of the shutdown. Use of permitted areas should be ended as soon as practical, and no longer than within 48 hours of shutdown, such as at Long Term Visitor Areas or Aravaipa Canyon.

I hope Bob/Jude will address this here or in a video soon.

Latest posts