Goodbye Southwest, heading back to Florida

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamerica

Reaction score
This has been 3 months of amazing, great and not so great.  I am very glad I came out here.  Thank you to all you wonderful folks on the forum and especially those I have met in person, who have helped me so much.  I now have solar on my van, a good generator and knowledge that will sustain me on this marvelous journey.  All because of you, wonderful tribe members.

I will remain a full-timer, as my van is my home now.  And I never in a million years thought I would say this, but there is too much sun here and not enough shade.  I miss shade and trees.  Oh, there was plenty of that in the High Country around Flagstaff and that was beautiful.  I had such a wonderful first month up there.  Alas, I learned the elevation is too much for my breathing and it is very cold in winter.  

I have been to areas of the high desert that were spectacular.  Arizona and New Mexico are simply stunning.

I feel like I have been on a wonderful vacation and it is now time to go home.  

Right now I am at a truck stop in Deming, NM, right off I-10, contemplating West or East.   I thought I wanted to do the whole winter thing around Quartzsite and Yuma, but that thought now turns off a light inside me.   I just don't see myself staying out here after it gets warmer in the spring.  It feels like a chore to endure.  

I need more populated areas for work opportunities, selling life insurance maybe, flea markets maybe...and medical services.  And trees and shade.

If anyone here has insights that would help me in Florida, I would appreciate the info here or PM.   I am a people person so camping solo is not for me.  I have found the Florida post here with the different camping areas, and that is a great start.  Now I will look for truck stops, Walmarts also until I get this going.

Are there groups of you who travel the East?  

Does anyone know a better way of getting to Florida than I-10?  Even if I have to go a little out of the way North.... I-10 seems so lonely for so long of a stretch through Texas.  The route I followed out here via I-40, 20, etc., was good but seems really far from here to do that now.

When Florida gets warmer in Spring, I plan to go North.  This living in my van full time is new and I look forward to the next chapter.  Thank you, all.  :heart:

pamerica said:
Does anyone know a better way of getting to Florida than I-10?  Even if I have to go a little out of the way North.... I-10 seems so lonely for so long of a stretch through Texas.  The route I followed out here via I-40, 20, etc., was good but seems really far from here to do that now

The best way IMO, is to take any road on the map that is going more or less in the right direction that is NOT red...ie an interstate.

Take the blue roads on the map (and maybe some of the brown roads) and let them wander you through all the small towns along the way. If you need to go near an interstate it should be for the purpose of crossing over/under it, not for getting on it.

Yes, it will take you a whole lot longer but unless you've got a deadline, you'll be less stressed with the lower speed limits and less traffic AND you get to see a whole lot of America (the real America) that way!!

Can't imagine choosing FL over the Southwest (I just moved back to IL from FL), good things this great big country has something for everyone!!

BTW - if you're in Deming and are hungry, try Si Senor, very tasty chow! Are you planning on checking out Silver City and the Gila before you go??

Thanks Lady Arabella and Queen.  I like the idea of the little roads off the Interstate, just wondering about the safety of doing it in this area. I checked out my allstays app and at least one of the campsites along here it says we don't recommend staying here because it is a heavy trafficking and smuggling area.
I like to stay at truck stops and other places where people are around all night. But I will see if I can do that - I would like to see more.

Queen, while I would like to see those places and more around here, all I can think of now is getting back East and I will see plenty along the way.  If I stop in town Deming again I will be sure to go to that restaurant.

There's a KOA on the west side of Las Cruces that offers some of the best views of the Mesilla Valley you can image, at night the lights in the valley just sparkle! It's an old park and wasn't very fancy when we were there last,but the view was truly wonderful. We ordered pizza and sat outside freezing our butts off eating pizza and drinking beer late into the night.

I can understand the altitude thing. I love being on the mountain tops but the last time we were up there I felt altitude sickness for the first time in three decades. On the other hand going down to sea level feels like some one unchained my lungs there is such a difference.

pamerica said:
Does anyone know a better way of getting to Florida than I-10?  ...

(and)

... all I can think of now is getting back East and I will see plenty along the way.  ...

FWIW:
Driven I-10 a few times in both directions all the way across or near it.  It is not only the most direct and fastest route to Florida from your current location, it is the southernmost route.  Less important now than it will be in 30-60 days.  Probably too soon to worry about this, but in November one year as I recall, I drove E-to-W, and chose I-10 on purpose to stay out of the colder weather to the north.  Slept one night in El Paso, TX (on the border with Mexico).  Woke up the next morning to about 4" of snow on the roof of my car.  Yeah, in El Paso.  Didn't even realize it was possible.

If you go a bit farther north now, or take state roads roughly paralleling I-10 as has been suggested, you'll probably still be fine.  However, don't assume that you're out of bad weather areas until you get to San Antonio or so.  

And speaking of San Antonio, if you've never been, it was worth an overnight in my experience, just to take your time eating supper and walking along the River Walk downtown.  Night time is best.  If you happen to see a cafe along the River Walk there called Kangaroo Court, go in and see if they still have the 4"-high cheesecake covered in fruit topping.  Ahhhh.

Good luck on your trip.

Vagabound

Rather than I10 I turned left at Las Cruces and went North on 70 to Roswell.  No, I didn't see any aliens but it was a nice route.  There is some elevation.  I think the highest going that way is about 7000 feet.

I found I10 in Louisiana to be really rough pavement.  Again, I went North and took lesser roads.

In Melbourne, East of Orlando, it has rained all morning.  This afternoon will be humid, dripping wet humid.  Matthew is supposed to be near here on Thursday so take a slow scenic route unless you really want rain. 

You don't need to wait till spring for Florida to get warmer.  August is in the rear view but it is still warm.

Welcome back to Florida.

When heading east from the southwest, I travel along the gulf shore. I start in TX in the CC/Padres Island area and follow the intercoastal highway and migratory bird trail. Every once in awhile I get lost and have to find I-10 to get my bearings or avoid a city. It's a lovely ride.

Oh! If you're on facebook there's kind of a roaming SE gathering all winter
Part one is coming right up
"... The official Fall SE GTG has been decided. The middle 2 weeks of October at Tumbling Creek recreation area, Cherokee National forest, near Copperhill, Tn. We have had several GTGs at this spot, and it's one of our favorites..."

They're on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/SE-GTG-931565530233197/?fref=ts&hc_location=ufi

I X2 the slower pace of the back roads.
I also have done the mad rush on I 10 and I 20 and I 40 , hell on most of the interstates !!!
(A music tour itinerary will wear you down and you will miss EVERYTHING along the way.....)

Then , when I started fulltime in the rv I discovered the "other side",,, I love the "other side"!
Roswell (tin foil hats are optional) ,the city zoo in Pecos , Lake Conroe (Lots of trees there !), horse farms and cotton fields around Corsicana , cattle in the the Rio Grande Valley ? (nope , goats! , whooooda thunk it ?) , The swamp country in "Luzeeana" and N'alins , (Oh yeah) , the fire ant lined back roads of Alabama . Oh hell , go through downtown Nashville and to Opryland just once!
I could go on forever with these places ,,, Make that trip pay you with interesting places that you will never forget. I hope you made it to the Grand Canyon while in AZ ! You will never be ready for walking to the edge and looking at THAT !

Almost There, jimindenver, Vagabound, Trebor English, Cyndi and rvpopeye.  Thank you for all these interesting suggestions.  I only made it to El Paso today, and believe me, I will be looking for roads other than Interstate.  With the construction and way more traffic on I-10 than I ever expected, it was a real pain. And be sure to do this during rush hour, for an extra treat.

Looks like Florida weather may be a little wild the next few days so I will take it slow.  Plus I need to figure out just where I think I will be staying to start.  
I have been on vacation for over 2 years and I need to get back to work.  What this trip has done for me, is teach me the basics of how to start living the nomad way.  I wanted this with all my heart.  And when I have questions, I know where to look.  

I hope to meet up with some of the tribe in Florida somewhere.  I will be traveling small towns helping folks protect their families from financial distress, and planning for the future, with life insurance, burial insurance, cremation insurance, whatever they like to call it.  I have an active Florida license.  Now this gives me a way to ride around and call it work!  It is a totally different experience, living in your van and calling it your home office.  Love, love, love this.

I never had fun going through El Paso. If you want less of I-10 from El Paso you can drop off on US 90 at Van Horn and follow it all the way to San Antonio. I would probably take 118 a little further east at Kent and go south to Fort Davis and pick up 90 at Alpine and on east to San Antonio. Most of that is a scenic drive. Just make sure you keep gas tank full. That goes through Del Rio which is a border town, Brackettville which is where the Alamo with John Wayne was filmed, and also Uvalde. I lived there for a short while and was a pretty nice place.

You would probably see plenty of Border Patrol through there. Just an idea and probably only add 30-40 miles versus I-10 all the way to SA.

Hi Dennis.  Thank you for thinking of me.  I checked out that route and it is 305 miles between Van Horn and Del Rio.  And you said to keep gas tank filled.  That sounds like a great idea but as I am by myself, I don't like to be out there like that.  A main reason I am going back to Florida is because I need more people around.  Desert is beautiful but not for me right now.  Hundreds of miles of nothing ..... I have had quite enough of that recently.  Oh gosh, I meant lonely roads.  The scenery has been magnificient.  I will surely miss the views.  I kept thanking God for my eyes, and for giving me the opportunity to see his marvelous creation.

Oh, and Marfa.  You know, a long time ago on an RV trip when my friend and I were young and fearless, we went past Marfa late at night and this huge white ball of light followed us for several miles, traveling alongside us.  We were amazed and that did scare us.  We never knew what it was.  And just last year I saw an article about the Marfa lights, and finally understood what that was.  Now I remember that road.  I see they have overnight RV parking there.  Uh...will pass on that  :rolleyes:

I would like to see Corpus Christi, Padre, McAllen and that whole valley area.  I think that needs to wait for another time.

I understand I should make the most of this trip.  Just not into long stretches with no big truck stops.  I will be taking I-10 to I-20 to who knows...

There are plenty of back roads in Florida to explore, and that is where I will be working, as well.  I feel comfortable doing that and it is also very pretty to me.  Thanks again, Dennis.

So much of my SW to SE or SE to SW driving was done in minimal times ( 3 to 4 days) on I-10 it is interesting to read about all those things I missed just holding 68mph for ~23 hours at stretch ( orlando to ft stockton TX)

My energy source is the ocean so I've only stopped slowed, and smelled the roses on a few crossings, and only once I was in the West.

I understand, pamerica. I didn't know you had already driven at least part of that route. Of course I am more of a lonely roads type myself. Lots of those in west and southwest Texas for sure.

Good luck on your trip back to Florida. :)

Rango and I say good luck to you, Pam and Purrwin. I hope you find the right nomadic life that gives you contentment. It was a pleasure meeting/knowing you. Safe and fun travel wishes to you.

It sounds like traveling and living out of a Van is growing on you and you're gaining in self confidence now. 
I'd spend the next few stationary months reviewing what I've learned so far and devise some plans or guide lines
to follow in the future to minimize repetition of what was unpleasant. 

All in all it sounds like you did well enough to be encouraged to go north next spring.  Good going :)

X2^^^^^^^^^^

See my recent post to my detours thread

dogear52 said:
Rango and I say good luck to you, Pam and Purrwin. I hope you find the right nomadic life that gives you contentment. It was a pleasure meeting/knowing you. Safe and fun travel wishes to you.

Chris...I miss you and Rango already.  You guys are the greatest.  My sincere pleasure.  If you are ever out East....come on by...wherever that would be !!!! :heart: