Going to look at this one tomorrow

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
https://fayar.craigslist.org/ctd/5529737589.html

I sold my car today so I have enough cash to buy this one. I have looked around at a few others near me, and all of them were either overpriced or had something too wrong with them for me to be comfortable buying them. I've talked to this dealer on the phone several times over the past few days and of course he tells me it's a good vehicle. I'm going to make the 3-hour drive tomorrow and take a look. I might buy it. I am going to be very picky looking over it, though.

Do any red flags stand out to you by looking at the ad?

Thunder Dan said:
https://fayar.craigslist.org/ctd/5529737589.html

I sold my car today so I have enough cash to buy this one. I have looked around at a few others near me, and all of them were either overpriced or had something too wrong with them for me to be comfortable buying them. I've talked to this dealer on the phone several times over the past few days and of course he tells me it's a good vehicle. I'm going to make the 3-hour drive tomorrow and take a look. I might buy it. I am going to be very picky looking over it, though.

Do any red flags stand out to you by looking at the ad?

I like the way they list the "underhood lamp" and door hinges as selling points.  :p

I think that's a high price given the year and milage. It may well be clean inside, but that's certainly not a top-line interior package...not even the mid-roof. 

Just a random search result for comparison: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18059162

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]2001 Dodge RAM 150 [font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- 91,000 miles[/font][/font]

[font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Montserrat, sans-serif]$5,000[/font][/font]

45405C2F-30EC-4B5A-B24E-12FDAC2EF27B.jpg
B857D973-A5E4-4D82-85C5-7F8431E5E148.jpg

So the Upfitter Pkg gives you an incomplete vehicle certification and a temporary driver's seat? Is no spare tire a feature as well?

BradKW said:
I think that's a high price given the year and milage. It may well be clean inside, but that's certainly not a top-line interior package...not even the mid-roof. 

Just a random search result for comparison: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18059162

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]2001 Dodge RAM 150 [font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]- 91,000 miles[/font][/font]

[font='Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Montserrat, sans-serif]$5,000[/font][/font]
Oh wow, I never even saw this one, and it's just a few miles from me! I'm definitely going to check this one out tomorrow before driving 3 hours. Thank you so much for pointing this one out.

I agree that price seems high. Hopefully the closer one checks out. Good luck!

Looks great to me! Congrats on being able to be at the point to look at one. I think it is worth the drive. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never mind, didn't see the informed posts above me, new to tapatalk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's almost a twin to the van me and Vic have.The graphics are different and the interior on ours is a little higher grade.The first thing I did was remove the silly running boards and throw them away.The van we have ,we really like.It's in excellent condition, really strong pulling and very comfortable.I have to agree with some here,the price seems a little high.We paid $3700 last fall.Our van had 122000 miles on it.We have since put about 10000 miles on it with no trouble.Good Luck.

If I had to choose between the Dodge and the Chevy,I would take the Chevy.According to Consumer Reports,Dodges of that generation had a lot of drive train problems.Maybe neither one.There are some good deals out there,but you need the patience to wait for them.Again,good luck.

Bob Dickerson said:
If I had to choose between the Dodge and the Chevy,I would take the Chevy.According to Consumer Reports,Dodges of that generation had a lot of drive train problems.Maybe neither one.There are some good deals out there,but you need the patience to wait for them.Again,good luck.

Seeing some of the earlier posts, I backed off on going to look at the Chevy. Instead I stayed here in town and looked at the Dodge. The dealership was closed today, so I wasn't able to get inside, but I also didn't have anyone bothering me while I looked. The tires on the Dodge were shot, the weather stripping around the windshield was pulled away in one corner, and the carfax had a couple of red flags, an accident and a declaration that the mileage was exempt from reporting, and it had four owners. I don't know if four owners is significant, but it seems to me that there were a lot of people trying to sell this van.

If the Chevy is still available Tuesday, I'll drive up to Fayetteville and look at it. There are a couple others in that direction I can stop at along the way.

Never act, upon seeing a unit, like it is just perfect for you and try to always avoid paying sticker price. I try to show no emotion but just poke around and see how anxious the salesperson seems.

when I see those vans with all those seats, I look at them as all this stuff must be removed. those running boards are for highway use only. unless you like to litter the back roads. highdesertranger