Going to a RWD van from 4WD

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highest_vision

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am interested in thoughts from folks who transitioned into a rear wheel drive van from something four wheel drive. 

While I have had a front wheel drive car, and a rear wheel drive pickup, both where in the past and neither were lived out of. The pickup I only had for a month. I am used to having traction available, but have found that I don't NEED it probably 90% of the time. Just to get to places I want to go. I could hike longer! I got stuck last week in the parking lot and 4wd didn't help me then... Anyway, my pickup is compact. I don't have a lot of stuff, but I would like to have a little more space, and would really like to be able to just go back to the back (or vice versa) with ease, and to not have to move my bike and cooler outside just to sleep. I would also like to have heat and the ability to have a restroom. None of these things are realistic in my vehicle. I could get a full size pickup, but no pass through would happen easily or reliably. I'm not down with the camper shell boot. A suburban with a high top would be pretty cool, but they are only made for square bodies (do they even make those tops any more?) and clean square burbs are pricy! So are 4wd vans...

Enough about my thoughts. If anyone has left having four wheels with locomotive force for two, I would love your thoughts! Or anybody else who has thoughts.

James

If your not going to go any place you will get stuck and insure that by walking /scouting/ biking the area before driving and want space with walkthrough ease, a black tank with shower and toilet why don't you look at a smaller motorhome? There are a few out there that might meet your needs. A van's space will fill up quickly and it will become heavy anyway somewhat limiting where you can go. The older Toyota motorhomes were mostly a piece of junk camper wise except for some of the fiberglass ones, but if you never go very far off road and stay on good roads going slowly they might work.

A class B would suit you. My Roadtrek has a posi rear in it and has been through a few muddy places where I was fishtailing to get through. A posi or a locker will get you in and out of most places but I still carry recovery stuff, just in case.

Never EVER got stuck in my Chevrolet 4X4. Been stuck in my front wheel drive van due to snow too deep on a paved road. Van back axle has a low clearance that causes you to plow snow with it when the snow is deep.  

I recommend a 4X4 van, will probably have to make payments.  I bought my van used so I would not have payments, even though I really wanted a 4X4 van.  I highly recommend the van body style for convenience of living in, standing up in it is essential, and ease of moving from driving to stealth parking.   ~crofter

I think I read on here that if your going to be pulling a trailer and I am the rear wheel drive is the way to go , if I do a van build it has to be the ford transit.
now I have half as many vans to choose from.

highest_vision said:
I am interested in thoughts from folks who transitioned into a rear wheel drive van from something four wheel drive.

2wd RWD is fine. A mild lift, good and bigger tires, a regear (low gearing) and locker would all be nice additions (not necessary ones)... and cheap compared to running 4wd. But the newer vans aren't a good choice for going offroad. No ground clearance, unibody, little wheels, and you can't lift them.

I lived in my 2wd Toyota truck for 13 years. Had no trouble finding beautiful places in the boonies where I wouldn't see people. Got stuck a few times, but always got myself out with airing down and a little work.

Pass throughs never made sense to me in a truck. I don't mind having a separate entrance. The camper I'm building on a Tundra has more space than all but the biggest vans and will be a lot more capable offroad.

Considering the payload of a Tundra, I would be real curious to see a camper on it that had more room than a Sprinter or Transit mid or high roof van (not even the extended version)

I don't have any experience with a four wheel drive van, but the Nissans NVs are RWD with a limited slip differential-not as good as a locker. The only time one has been stuck is when Hubby decided to follow a sandy ATV trail (he kept thinking that it would get better-silly man!) He just deflated the tires down to about 10psi and easily backed out.

The ground clearance on Nissan NV fullsized cargo Van's is 8.1". That may or may not be high enough for you. Higher than an unlifted Transit, though.
Ted

IGBT said:
Considering the payload of a Tundra, I would be real curious to see a camper on it that had more room than a Sprinter or Transit mid or high roof van (not even the extended version)
The camper is foam and fiberglass (built by me) and I'm removing the bed and mounting it to the frame. Net gain is only ~400lb for the shell, and I know how to make lightweight "furniture" (plastic is wonderful stuff). It's 80" wide (flat sides, not curved in like a van) and is 130" from the back of the cab to the end, with an aero shaped cab-over bed in addition. Plus the back seat will be storage.

It'll be over GVWR loaded up, but I think I'll be under the axle ratings. Suspension and tires are beefed up to handle the load. No worries.

I hope you are beefing up the brakes too. Moving an overweight vehicle down the road is one thing, stopping it is another. Small 1/2 ton brakes will overheat and fade fast going down a steep hill much less trying to stop for that deer in the middle of the road when you round the bend.

I grew up in Arizona never having owned anything with 4 wheel drive until I was 35. But Dad used to take us all over the place and into some neat out of the way spots with just an old 1977 GMC pickup. The key, however, was that he had Posi-traction (limited slip differential) in the rear axle AND he never tried take on more than the vehicle was capable of.

His dad had been out here since before statehood, which meant hardly any paved roads anywhere, certainly no AAA road service. Folks back then either learned the capabilities of their machines,...or they died. Grandpa passed this attitude down to Dad, and him to me.

There is an amazing variety of terrain you can successfully navigate in mere 2wd if you know how to do it.

I currently have only 2wd in my 2006 2500Express 6.6 Duramax van,...BUT,...I spent the money to ensure I have a limited slip rear end. Yes, I'd rather have 4x4 Quigley conversion or something along those lines. But that would be easily a $15,000 vehicle, whereas I bought mine for just $4200, and put about another $2000 into it. I bought my toyhauler trailer for $3000, the Polaris atv in it for $1800. By the time I'm done refurbishing the living quarters, I'll still be under that $15,000 mark, and the atv will allow me to go off on roadless adventures if I must.

There is plenty of adventure to be had without the 4x4 van.

Thanks Everyone!

As usual, I left out what would probably be helpful information. I might consider a class b, but ultimately I don't want or need pipes. The bathroom would be a bucket. I've used lots of groovers in the past if anybody knows about them. I'd use that but I'll leave them to the rafters. A b would already have a heater and stove, though. Might be nice. I already have a stove, but said van would likely have a better propane storage situation than I have! 

My current "payload" is no more than 1000# loaded, probably less, and that includes the camper shell. I have looked at pictures of van builds and can appreciate how one could get overweight quickly, but I slept on the floor of my pickup bed until about a year ago. Considering that everything I have weighs less than 1000#, it seems that even adding some neat stuff to a van would leave me safe in the gvw dept :) Probably easy to get carries away, too. I think I would be pretty stoked to be able to sit upright.

The van would be on the cheaper side, definitely no transits/etc! I used to work for a fleet that was all GM for their small stuff and am pretty familiar with the older LS gas and 6.5 diesel motors. I have also worked a lot on older ford gas and diesels. I used to have an F250 with a 6.9. Probably won't find a van in decent shape with that or the 7.3idi/psd or a 6.5/6.2, but would buy it if it was solid. I really like vans with ladder racks. So many options! So much noise...

Anyway, my challenge by choice adventures are usually the types of places that, by driving, can result in a 3 day backpack being an afternoon hike. I don't offroad just to offroad. When I have time, I love being outside. It sounds like I should continue not locking my hubs and seeing what that gets me. I don't think my little pickup has anymore clearance than a 3/4 ton van.

I did not appreciate how fortuitous this post would be, but I am now in the hunt. My pickup has been totaled, and once the insurance company cuts me a check, I will be purchasing a replacement vehicle. I did not expect to be putting this feedback to work at this time, but I appreciate it even more so now! I won't have the leisure of waiting for the best thing, but it looks like I have a lot of options out there in my general area. Can't ask folks to drive me too far!

I am working on a write up about my wreck. It was a learning experience, and will shape what I purchase.

B and C said:
I hope you are beefing up the brakes too.  Moving an overweight vehicle down the road is one thing, stopping it is another.  Small 1/2 ton brakes will overheat and fade fast going down a steep hill much less trying to stop for that deer in the middle of the road when you round the bend.
Shift down on descents. I rarely use the brakes.

highest_vision said:
I am working on a write up about my wreck. It was a learning experience, and will shape what I purchase.
Sorry to hear that! Guess you weren't hurt?

rruff said:
Shift down on descents. I rarely use the brakes.
I have been on some descents where low gear wasn't low enough and have had to pump the brakes to keep the RPM's within reason.

B and C said:
I have been on some descents where low gear wasn't low enough and have had to pump the brakes to keep the RPM's within reason.

Sure, but it takes very little brake. The Tundra has good brakes anyway, they are so big only 18" or bigger wheels fit.

Any time you are hauling a load (with anything) you need to drive carefully.

rruff said:
Sorry to hear that! Guess you weren't hurt?

Oh I was, but I will recover. And thanks! I'll be pretty excited to be back in action in a few weeks.

The Tundra has good brakes anyway, they are so big only 18" or bigger wheels fit.

Sure, but they will still be outside their design parameters. OTR truckers use engine braking to control speed so that when a critter, or traffic, or rock, materializes in front of them, their brakes are cold and ready to use to their designed max. In your scenario, when that critter, traffic, or rock materializes, your brakes may be cold, but they will reach their max much quicker. It is a matter of endurance. Modern half tons generally have larger brakes than their one ton counterparts, but those one tons have design tolerances that are different and can handle stresses that the half ton brakes will not. Be careful out there!

crofter said:
Never EVER got stuck in my Chevrolet 4X4. Been stuck in my front wheel drive van due to snow too deep on a paved road. Van back axle has a low clearance that causes you to plow snow with it when the snow is deep. 
One time in my Plymouth Reliant wagon, I got hung up by the front end on a snow pile. Weird experience. Couldn't rock my way out.