Going Full Time from this Summer 'Til....???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamTransit1

Reaction score
Always been a car/van camper. Started in '73 with a Chevy Vega Hatchback. That was plenty big enough for my girlfriend at the time and myself. At 5'6" I didn't need a Shag Wagon like all of my buddies were moving up to. Helped them cut plenty of sheet metal for portholes though.
Real life started to interfere a lot, but by the time I had three kids and a wife I started to use the family mini van to continue the tradition. Only now I used it for camping with the two youngest...the boys. 
Moved up to an E-150 in '94, and all five of us could sleep sideways. Pulled a custom aluminum utility trailer for the "stuff".
Purchased a 170" tall Sprinter brand new in '08, and did a lot of stealth camping in that for six years. After it was totaled by a felonious driver I was vanless for a year while sorting out the new offerings that were delayed from coming to the market by several years, and had to rely on a Honda Element we had in the family.
Took delivery of the longest tallest Transit 250 cargo w/ windows 3.5 Ecoboost in January '15, and now have 25,000 miles and 18 weeks in it.
More than enough room....the kids are now grown, youngest just turned 25.
Maybe it was the van camping instead of the Hilton, but after 30 years of marriage the wife wants out.
She's keeping the house, I'm retiring and hitting the road.
I've moved all of my stuff into an airplane hangar for storage, and the Transit fits as well. 
Gives a whole new meaning to stealth camping! 
Depending on how long it takes to tie up loose ends here with dissolving the business as well as marriage I should be permanently on the road by September. Definitely a few multi week trips before that though.
Like the wording on the only non-functional decorative item in the Transit that I picked up a few weeks ago at the JAX Beach Springing the Blues festival (a small wooden surfboard shaped painted placque)...."When Life Makes Waves.....Enjoy the Ride!"

DreamTransit1, welcome to the CRVL forums! You've got some experience, with this lifestyle so I have no doubt it's a great option for you. You might even be thanking the wife for pushing you into it.

Love the mantra: "When Life Makes Waves.....Enjoy the Ride!"

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

cyndi said:
...... You might even be thanking the wife for pushing you into it.

I'm planning on sending a thank you card annually on the anniversary of her filing....

Welcome aboard the tribal forums DT1!
You are now among friends , post up anything you can add of your experiences to others questions and don't be afraid to ask any you have along the way.

Be sure to include a picture of some incredibly beautiful camping spot with the thank you card .

DreamTransit1 said:
Purchased a 170" tall Sprinter brand new in '08, and did a lot of stealth camping in that for six years. 

Took delivery of the longest tallest Transit 250 cargo w/ windows 3.5 Ecoboost in January '15, and now have 25,000 miles and 18 weeks in it.

How do you like the Transit now that you have 25k miles under your belt on it?  Is there a reason you didn't go with another Sprinter?  

Sorry to hear about your divorce, but happy you can now enjoy a life of un-tethered travel.

My ex kicked me to the curb after 18 years of marriage
At first I was Not Happy, but now I'm glad she did, I should send her a note "Thank you for my freedom, what took you so long?"

I'm really interested in what you think of your transit also. My only Ford I've ever had is a 2013 Ford Escape titanium and has the Eco boost as well. I can tell you I'm not happy at all with it. I've already had a whole engine change along with many other problems. I originally bought it because I was led to believe I would get good gas mileage and that I could tow a small trailer. Well none of these things were true. My mileage is about 22mpg and I think that's awful for a for cylinder. I feel I was scammed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi DT1!

That hanger sounds like you won't be crowded.. AND you won't have to be all scared during thunderstorms since you have a shell of protection around you! :)

Enjoy the ride! I can't wait to get going, myself.

"How do you like the Transit now that you have 25k miles under your belt on it?  Is there a reason you didn't go with another Sprinter?  "

Parts availability, reliability, and service tech availability.
Gasoline rather than diesel.
Sprinters are no longer reasonable choices, their day in the US has come and gone. As has diesel for anything other than high torque or high annual mileage applications.
There's plenty of reasons why Ford sells more Transits in a month in the US than MB sells in a year here. Perceived status is the only other reason to go with a Sprinter.

cherterr said:
That hanger sounds like you won't be crowded.. AND you won't have to be all scared during thunderstorms since you have a shell of protection around you! 

Yep, PLENTY of room!
IMG_2683.JPGIMG_2685.JPGIMG_2684.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2683.JPG
    IMG_2683.JPG
    97.3 KB
  • IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    97.6 KB
  • IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    106.5 KB
Dream transit 1 
How much does a airplane hangar cost to rent?
Thanks

Mobilesport said:
Dream transit 1 
How much does a airplane hangar cost to rent?
Thanks

Varies by region of course, but this one is at a busy general aviation airport with two parallel runways that each exceed 6000'.
Owned by a wealthy county, it had been the home base for the aviation departments of Ford, Chrysler, VW of America, K-Mart, and many other large jet operators. Currently several Boeing 727's are based there flying international freight.
So rents are high, but not as steep as the crowded NE U.S. airports, nor the coastal CA ones.
42' wide X 32' deep, and enough headroom at the door to allow for even a roof rack on top of the tallest Transit if I were so inclined.
At $300/month way cheaper per square foot than a storage place, and if considering cubic feet no contest.
24 hour access, and electricity w/ a meter.
I'll slowly get rid of stuff and no longer need it, but for my first phase of this transition it's perfect. 
Different rules at every airport, but at this one you must either own an aircraft or be a licensed pilot to rent.
Some require you to keep a registered aircraft in the hangar, while others that have a shortage of tenants allow anyone to store anything.

Welcome!

Sorry about the circumstances that got you here, but looking forward to seeing your life change for the better. Hope to be on the road soon myself......maybe see ya on the road someday.