GoFundMe scammers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn’t that just the most disgusting situation.

I’m not sure that prison is the best outcome, rather they should all three be sentenced to years of hard labor to repay what they stole from well meaning others.

I am seldom surprised by the depths to which people will stoop, but this did catch me unawares.

It is usually better to suffer in poverty than to ask for help, especially online. I used to write for a large website, and there was another writer there who seemed successful at it - anyhow, she left the site, left her husband, traveled in an RV, ended up homeless, and started sending me private mail on a social media site begging for money through PayPal and GoFundMe - I think she sent those to all her contacts, not just me. Strange to see her go downhill that way. I finally had to disconnect from her because I wasn't going to give her money... it didn't feel right. She was asking for food money but I know that between food stamps, food banks, and soup kitchens ... there's plenty of food out there for homeless Americans.

I remember an article showing up on my facebook feed with the story of what this couple was doing for the guy. It is so very disappointing to learn it was a scam.

someone told me a bit about this.
the fund raiser people spent some of the money on gambling, then wouldn't give the money to the guy cause of possible drug usage or something, so basically they had the bucks then wouldn't give the guy the money cause he didn't deserve it they believed.....ohmygosh on this stupid crap that goes down out there. money never makes it to those it 'was intended' for no matter what 'the charity' that is going down. seen it a zillion times out there.
crazy crap for sure

I tried this once after my wife died to help pay for the funeral but got a hundred dollars in 2 months so I sold my house and paid off all funeral costs and credit cards and started living in my camper and van . It was a wast of my time .

I simply do not understand why anyone gives to gofundme accounts of people they don't know from Adam. I gave once, hesitantly, but only because I knew the people and their situation well. The reason I said hesitantly, is because there were other avenues of assistance available, but it pulled on my heart strings at just the right time I guess. IMO gofundme is akin to the Nigerian scams unless you have solid first-hand information that the recipients are truly in need.

People are good and try to help when they see a need.
The sad part is, these people knew exactly how to tug at decent people's heartstrings.
Glad they're getting prosecuted.

Speaking of being careful where you donate, even with Red Cross and United Way. Not sure what percentage they actually donate but seem to remember hearing or reading something awhile back that they had high admin expenses.

I have read that, too, about the Red Cross, but they are a huge organization that can mobilize quickly to meet basic needs during disasters of all kinds.

They have buildings and vehicles and employees, so there are going to be administrative expenses.

I just accept that.

Better than dropping cash into hand lettered jars.  :s

any and all great organizations start out humanitarian, at some point someone will rape them wide open and cheat/steal/embezzle and more. nature of the beast. won't ever change.

travelaround said:
It is usually better to suffer in poverty than to ask for help...

May karma never catch you.  :-/

It's amazing how many scams like this get found out due to the scammers being stupid and usually the basis of their stupidity is greed. It's like what happened when the SMU football team got death penalty. The head coach threw that one player off the team because he was a trouble maker and then the player goes to local news stations giving interviews paid and next thing you know there is no more football team.

Did this couple not realize that the homeless man could cause a lot of trouble if they kept his money from him.