GMC Diesel Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PathofAsha

Reaction score
I found a sweet 2007 GMC Savana conversion with a Quigley 4x4, Duramax diesel-approx 40k miles. I've been looking to upgrade from my Honda Pilot and thought this might be a better fit than a truck camper combo. My disabilities don't allow me to climb in and out of vehicles like I used to. It has the towing capacity I require and the 4x4. I will be traveling across the US often sometimes towing a jeep rubicon. 

Anywho, I'd like some feedback on this engine or van as a whole. I've read reviews which are mixed. Also the Quigley 4x4 I'm not sure about. Any and all comments are welcome. 

I'm also considering a sportsmobile but I find these lifted too high. 

Thanks everyone!

the engine and van are great. I will never recommend a 4 wheel drive conversion van. highdesertranger

Any specific reasons why you don't recommend a 4 wheel drive conversion van highdesertranger?

Every Road Leads Home said:
It's not the one on Ebay is it?  If so I think that it's INSANELY over priced.

Wow, just looked on ebay. There is one for 66k which is super clean and in far better shape than the one I'm looking at. Hmm. Maybe it's the Quigley 4x4 that makes them hold their value? Or the diesel engine? My neighbors moved back from Baja and have theirs for sale for 47K.

Quigley is one of the premier 4x4 conversion companies for vans. You really can't go wrong with them. 44K is not unheard of for nice late model Quigly's with all the options.

PathofAsha said:
Wow, just looked on ebay. There is one for 66k which is super clean and in far better shape than the one I'm looking at. Hmm. Maybe it's the Quigley 4x4 that makes them hold their value? Or the diesel engine? My neighbors moved back from Baja and have theirs for sale for 47K.

Most vehicles are depreciating assets.  Some are rapidly depreciating assets. But it's interesting that some highly desirable vehicles either hold their value, or actually go UP in value.  The VW Westfalia camper vans are one such, as are classic Airstream trailers.  The Quigleys may be another such example.

Sure wish I had bought a Shelby Cobra for $6,000 back in the sixties . . .

why do I recommend against 4x4 vans? because they have parts on them that where never offered by the van manufacturer. so if you were to break one of these parts out in the middle of nowhere, what are you going to do. 99% chance that part is not available locally. so hopefully the conversion company is still in business and you just have to sit there and wait until the part arrives. hopefully the conversion company has it in stock. I drive a 40 year Chevy 4x4. every part is still available and every junk yard will have a few trucks in their inventory. just my opinion but if you drive a 4x4 you will break something sooner or later, best to be able to fix it in a timely manner. highdesertranger

I get it and have considered this as well. My youngest son is no longer at my disposal as my mechanic (he's a marine now) so I must think about who will fix the problems which will arise eventually. I've always taken pristine care of my vehicles and am looking for a dependable van which won't break the bank when an issue arrises. Maybe the Quigley 4x4 isn't the way to go. I'll need to investigate with Quigley tomorrow. BTW I'm no stranger to being stranded with a broken vehicle. At least 12x in 5 different states in my life. I'm not scared. Adventure!

Parts availability is the ONE problem with van 4x4 conversions. I have had to have a machine shop make more then a few parts for my Dodge 4x4 van that I could no longer get from Pathfinder (bushings, mostly) It was $$$$$$$$$$ and super annoying. You do run into the possibility of breaking something in the bush, and your SOL because you cant find parts at the NAPA auto store that is 12 miles away in a little town no ones heard of.

I've been working on a common parts 4x4 conversion for Ford vans, but its super challenging. So far its been a combination of Ford Bronco, Excursion, F100, Dodge and Chevy parts. Its a pain in the neck.

yep Pathfinder is gone. a lady I know her dad used to work for them. highdesertranger

a 4x4 truck with a slide in would be the way to go,van frames are just not built for the off road,my 1 ton van frame is nothing compared to my 1/2 ton 4x4

Gary68 said:
a 4x4 truck with a slide in would be the way to go,van frames are just not built for the off road,my 1 ton van frame is nothing compared to my 1/2 ton 4x4

Well that's good to know. The 4x4 trucks I've driven do have a better "feel" than the vans do. But I'll need a rope ladder to access the cab.

PathofAsha said:

I've been toying with the idea of buying a new chevy and having Quigley do the 4x4 conversion.  In the last year i've researched them heavily.  They certainly seem to retain a very high resale value.  So high that i feel like if I do it and decide I don't like it or even if I do like it and sell it ten years later, I'll get a big chunk of my original investment back so between that and having an adventure rig for ten years it seems very justifiable.  A new Chevy and the conversion is about 36k. (Gas engine not diesel, and cargo van not a conversion van, a new diesel conversion van would be much higher) As far as breaking down with it that's just the luck of the draw on if/when it breaks and where.  Worst case it costs a few bucks to get it out of where ever you get stuck, takes a few weeks for the part and then you get if fixed and continue on.  I'd be in North America and not some 3rd world country so being stranded for a bit isn't too scary.  From the research i've done, 98% of the parts they use are OEM parts off chevy trucks.  And they give you a list of every part used with stock numbers.  

The logical side of me says it would be much easier to buy a 3/4 or one ton 4x4 pick up, put a small camper on back and go, but I don't know, something about vans, they are just more fun/comfortable/enjoyable to travel in.

Every Road Leads Home said:
 From the research i've done, 98% of the parts they use are OEM parts off chevy trucks.  And they give you a list of every part used with stock numbers.  

The logical side of me says it would be much easier to buy a 3/4 or one ton 4x4 pick up, put a small camper on back and go, but I don't know, something about vans, they are just more fun/comfortable/enjoyable to travel in.

Good to know about the parts. I was going to call them tomorrow about that. I've seen Quigley 4x4's on craigslist now and then and they don't last long. I like the way Sportsmobile does their 4x4 also.
And I'm in the same self debate as you. It's more logical to go with a 4x4 truck but the campers aren't built well enough for me and ride too high. So the compromise would be a 4x4 van. 
I really wish we could import the all terrain campers from down under over here. Here's a link to what I really want (except newer). I wonder what it would take to reinforce a van frame/chasis well enough? 
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/66267-21-ft-All-Terrain-Class-B-MOTORHOME-Complete

Steamjam will build you one ;)  ~~~ Its only money.  :D

GotSmart said:
Steamjam will build you one ;)  ~~~ Its only money.  :D

I'll keep that in mind as well. Money is a only tool to get what we need.

4x4 vans also have a very high center of gravity. off camber roads are very common when off road. high COG + off camber = bad stuff. highdesertranger