GIRLS' ROOM: Truck Stop Showers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waverider1987 said:
Looking at shower options... gym membership vs everything else.  One of those everything else's is truck stop showers.  So, i was just wondering if any of you ladies have used one, which branch you used it at, if you felt safe, and how much it cost.  Thanks

What do you travel in? When we traveled in a van, we used a Sun Shower. At the time, I had long, thick hair. So, I had an extra bag just for shampoo rinse. They also sold portable folding shower tents.

Headache said:
I'm a lCDtle late to answe. Neverthis but for anyone else that comes across it signage really depends on the establishment and the set up.  Many of the bigger chains with newer facilities such as T/A, Pilot, Flying J, etc. the showers are located in the professional drivers areas so the assumption is that the general public won't be accessing them.

I have a class A CDL but I don't abuse the privilege.  Most drivers try to shower and use the laundry during the peak hours of 5am-9am and 4pm-9pm so I avoid grabbing showers/laundry during those times.  Also, most chains are using points cards that when a driver fuels a certain amount of gallons they earn enough points for showers.  When they gave out shower tickets it was easier to get showers that way.  Smaller truck stops I've found are either hard core "show us your CDL" types or welcome the additional business as long as it isn't during peak driver usage.

I have a Class A CDL also but I have  only been asked to show it for a shower one time. That was on the east coast. Flying J used to have an rv shower plan using the fuelpoint card.

I've noticed that several people have recommended wearing shower shoes, so I have to ask, what are the risks if you don't?  Athlete's foot, slipping, something else?   Is it riskier to shower barefoot at a truck stop than it is to shower barefoot at say, a Motel 6?

I'm not sure whether this is something I should be concerned about or not, since I've showered barefoot in many iffy places all my life, and nothing bad ever came of it.  Have risks been increasing recently, or is this something that some people feel strongly about and others don't?

Plantars' warts are amongst the 'something else' one should be concerned about.

I haven't been barefoot in a shower room since I was in high school and that's many more decades than I care to admit to.... :D

It doesn't matter to me if it's a Motel 6, my gym, a truck stop or any other place I have been known to shower, the shower shoes stay on from the time I take my socks off until they go back on.

I've showered in motels, hotels, campgrounds, etc, and never wore anything on my feet. And nothing has every happened. *knock on wood*

One issue with feet is sweat. Don't wear plastic shoes. Don't wear nylon socks (wool, wool blend or cotton is better). Don't wear damp socks. Don't wear the same socks for multiple days. Let your feet dry out thoroughly after showering (wherever), and your shoes, too. If you don't have to wear shoes at times, don't. It is perfectly okay to use the computer barefoot.

I had heard of plantar's warts, but just now looked them up. They're caused by several varieties of virus, and they think that genetics can play an important role, with 7-10% of people getting them. So, if you have family members that have them, you'd best take extra precautions.

I caught athletes foot the first time, in the shower at the fire house. Didn't know what it was and until the bottoms of my feet had mostly peeled off and were bleeding constantly, I didn't go to the doctor. Once I did he happily proclaimed it "worst case he'd ever seen"; I got fixed up that time, but still it will flare if I shower barefoot most places... it hurts itches, peels, and takes weeks of cream application every day to go away. If I were you, Tussah, I'd just wear them to be on the safe side.

Yes, if you can wear those shoes in the shower, you might as well. But I'm such a klutz that I would probably trip over my own feet.