GIRLS' ROOM: Girls can get unstuck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxtonsgram

Reaction score
Hi:  I'm here in the u.p.  of Michigan. Yesterday and today I got stuck in the snow. I was very frustrated but did get myself out both times, using a come a long.  I was just thinking, as frustrated as I was, it is good training for me. I realize snow must be different to get out of than sand or mud, but... it gave me confidence that if I keep my cool I should (may) be able to get myself out of situations when on the road. I'm trying to use my frustrations and turn them into learning experiences. Nora

Good job on the learning experience! I hear you about finding myself in a situation and once I get it figured out, it's pretty empowering, so I file it away for further use.

If you can drive in the UP in the winter and get yourself unstuck, you can drive in ANYTHING and be fine.

--a troll and former LSSU student.

Good reminder of equipment I need to buy. I'm thinking of putting a winch on the front

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, excellent post and thinking!

I left AZ early due to the threat of snow and ice. On my maiden trip and did not throw anything in for those elements yet.

Amazing how we can take that energy and focus it upon solutions, eh? May we be able to teach all the younger women coming up how to do this!

I got to experience my first get unstuck mode this last weekend when I got my front wheel stuck (high centered) on a dirt mound while out exploring by myself trying to back down an old road next to a creek.

Because my memory isn't what it was, I emailed myself all the details of the experience, both what didn't work and what finally did. It was a good feeling when all was done and said.

Me too, I will put a winch on my list also!

^^^^ x2

Haven't gotten stuck in a long time, I'm usually in a four wheel drive truck and don't enjoy getting my guts bounced out offroad, getting stuck options are minimal. So any tips and tricks that worked for you,we'd all love to hear about!

I was trying to get my front wheel (driver's side) off the hard dirt and rock mound when the back wheel started spinning (also driver's side). I put down small tree branches in front, under and behind the rear tire but that didn't work. Did again adding rocks too, and also to both front wheels and straightened the front wheels (they were turned all the way to the right), and that didn't work. Did it again with just rocks to rear driver tire, this time I was able to get bigger rocks under the rear, then cranked front wheels all the way to the left as far as I could and the van climbed out of the hole my rear tire had dug.

Thanks for reminding us that we can do it, yes we can. I saw this quote today and it seems to apply here:

"The best protection any woman can have is courage." ~ Elizabeth Cady Stanton

We might not feel courageous while we are in the midst of it, yet the determination and perseverance will really turn things around.

Woo Hoo!!! I remember the first time I changed a tire on the highway. It was scary, but I had the jack out and was working on it when a nice trucker came alone and finished it for me. I could have done it then. - I was a lot younger and stronger. Not so sure I could now. That's what AAA is for when you get old! :)

I've used comealongs for fencing work but I can't imagine being able to pull a car out of mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you should ask HDR or Sternwake. They spend time way out and would know. Perhaps a winch on your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a cheater bar, that should help the strength issue.

I confess, I have never changed a tire. Usually, if not with my boyfriend, a gentleman always stops to help. But, now that I am single and especially now that I'm out minor bookie crashing I probably should figure it out. On 2nd thought I don't know if I would have the strength. Hmm...maybe I should get AAA too.

I haven't changed a tire for a long time myself. When I got the current Van-o-rama, I purchased a lug nut and watched a video or two about my specific model. I also purchased a small can of WD-40 in case any lug nuts are too tight or rusted. I'm sure that I could do it myself, slowly, assuming the weather wasn't awful and the road was flat. I also saw a diagram of how to tighten the lug nuts again, after the spare is on, in a certain star-like pattern. I had totally forgotten about that and was happy to have that information refreshed. 

I got AAA too .... Never hurts to have backup when traveling alone.