Getting back into T-trailer camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVWanderer

Reaction score
Just purchased, 19' 1998 self-contained Aerolite, has AC, 5 cu ft fridge & microwave (no oven).  Everything works great, need battery.  Paid $1,800.  Seller had modified bed to make more storage underneath.  He moved tanks out of the inside to the tongue.  I liked that.  Seller threw in a tongue lock & load leveling hitch.  Need to have receiver hitch, brake control & 7-pin female plug installed, quoted $590.  Taxes, title & tags = $218/paid.  Removed his bed configuration, will not reinstall couch/bed.  Bed frame $73/paid.  Have twin mattress & bedding.  Should sleep 5-6 but I will use overhead bed for added cabinet storage.  Will be $2309 into it before getting on road.

Attachments

• 1998Aerolite.jpg
    1998Aerolite.jpg
    166.2 KB
Talking to the seller I came to the conclusion that he just wanted to get the trailer sold. He told us he had listed at 10 PM the night before. At 11 PM he got his first call, he said he wouldn't show it until tomorrow. Next morning I called as soon as I saw the ad & had read it. He called back said he would be there until sold. I told him we would be right down, this was 8 AM. We grabbed the cash, arrived within 15 minutes. Made the deal not more than 10 minutes later. He told us he had 10 people coming to look at it.

We shook hands, he got the title & while signing the paperwork including Bill-Of-Sale he received 3 more calls. We had cash, paid him in 20's, my SIL came over & towed it. After that I finally got a closer look at the inside & realized I had made a DEAL! Few minor repairs & fixes, wash the seat covers, clean the windows, change the shower curtain,,,etc. We even were left with some of his camping needs. Checked NADAguides listed as much detail & equipment as I could, low retail was $4,500 high was $5,600. I never get a deal, I get 'buyer's remorse' most times, not this time.

That is awesome!
Looks cozy too!

Whats your tow vehicle? Or are you just parking it somewhere?

OutdoorFT said:
That is awesome!
Looks cozy too!

Whats your tow vehicle? Or are you just parking it somewhere?

Tow vehicle for now is a 1997 Chev G30 cargo van that was converted for camping.  It has high miles but I spent time & money having it cleared & upgraded by a well-reviewed mechanic.  Put new tires on it, runs fantastic but didn't like the low head room.  Decided since I'm not homeless, am retired with adequate income I would upgrade a little.  The van has a 350 all new belts, hoses, battery, wires & plugs.  It's just ugly & needs a paint job but will do.  Hopefully in the spring I can recoup some of my expenses by selling it.  I'll be looking for a newer 1/2 ton with canopy, tow package, 2WD is ok.  Just me & the wife, not pet people either, but love camping.

RVWanderer said:
Tow vehicle for now is a 1997 Chev G30 cargo van that was converted for camping.  It has high miles but I spent time & money having it cleared & upgraded by a well-reviewed mechanic.  Put new tires on it, runs fantastic but didn't like the low head room.  Decided since I'm not homeless, am retired with adequate income I would upgrade a little.  The van has a 350 all new belts, hoses, battery, wires & plugs.  It's just ugly & needs a paint job but will do.  Hopefully in the spring I can recoup some of my expenses by selling it.  I'll be looking for a newer 1/2 ton with canopy, tow package, 2WD is ok.  Just me & the wife, not pet people either, but love camping.
Awesome! 1/2 should haul that no problem. Thats my only issue with finding a rig...enough room for the fur babies. Congrats on the trailer

A couple of small items are left to be done on the trailer. I've got my bed frame inside & with mattress sans any remainder of the bench seat. It's a twin frame, I need to put up a wall with shelf from the bed over to the bottom of the front window, figure I'll have storage access on each side of the trailer via the small doors located near the front side. I'm completely doing away with the bench. My entertaining will be done outside anyway. The new mattress is a pillow top so it all works. The dining table seat was cut down for whatever reason to level with the seat. I was going to replace it but decided that I'll only be using the space under the seat for storage. I'll have my morning coffee & meals in inclement weather indoors sitting on the other side, the water tank is under that seat. It still can be made into another bed.

Above the couch area was another overhead bed, the label states it only holds 100 lbs. Not enough for an adult, I can use that area for additional storage because the are 3 access doors. Stemming my imagination will save me a lot of unnecessary work & remodeling. Everything else works or did when I bought it. I'm not sure if I trust the heater so much, I do have a 'Mr Buddy' that can be used for emergency heat. Wintering in AZ, summering in the NW shouldn't be a real requirement for massive heating. The bulk of my cooking will be done outside on either my propane stove, fire pit/grate or in one of my two 'Dutch' ovens. The AC blows cold, the burner all light on the stove. The lights are off the battery or my propane generator. The 3-way fridge is my only concern. I was told it worked great but could have been a selling point.

I got the title switched over, new tags, need to fill the propane bottles & purchase a battery. Should be road worthy, tires have deep tread, look good, hope there is now dry rot. I will need a little run through of the water system, shower, holding tanks & dumping gray or black waste water. My van needs a plug, brake control & receiver hitch installed, have an appointment for all three in 2 weeks. I plan to get a new battery for the van, it runs great but should have the front windshield replaced, cracked not in my vision but won't pass inspection in most states. There is a roof-rack that I'm removing, at first wanted it but haven't used it & now with the trailer the need for more than the 10' of storage space in the cargo van it seems unnecessary. I'm taking the bed I made in the van, giving me more cargo area, I should be set with less weight & bulk.

Plans now are to spend the winter in AZ, Nov-Mar then back to the NW Apr-Oct. Traveling around staying either on my property or in one of the many many campgrounds throughout the west. 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there. My needs are minimal, meals are spartan, access free wifi for email, use my data plan on my cell for bill paying. Cash or ATM debit card for money management, along with one credit card for emergencies. Spend a little time every so often at the laundromat to get my bedding & clothes washed. Target date is the 25th of October to start my first journey to AZ.

Is your name 'Clever Elsie' LOL, the last tags on the plates expired in 2015. I haven't checked the dates of the tires, not sure where to look for the date code or whatever. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought about that. The tires look excellent but you're right, could be older than that. How long is rubber good on a tire when not in use?

My van dwelling journey

I started with a used-high mileage fleet cargo van from a local electrical firm. Their fleet was their life blood so they kept them mechanically sound & serviced. Paid $1,000. Had a reputable mechanic thoroughly go through it, change the belts, hoses & fluids ($1,000+). Installed high mileage heavy duty tires ($500). Installed tow package/brake control ($600). Still could use a new windshield. Into it for $3,100 not counting all the unnecessary conversions to it. I didn't listen to the experts, it was too short to stand up in, being old with a bad back wasn't good. Next step found a suitable 19' self contained '98 travel trailer ($1,800) came with a sway control hitch. Now more than $5,000, had an ugly van (every door/window handle has an issue but found that a $4 vise grip solves those problems), pulling an older travel trailer. Small repairs & new mattress for the trailer set me back another $300 - total invested $5,300.

I pulled it to Utah to get a little training from my trailer-pulling son. Drove it down I-15 to Las Vegas then down 95 to Quartzsite arriving the 30th of October '17. Stayed at the first RV park I had found on the web. Low rent district, but most amenities. Crappy internet, non-drinkable water, dirt parking, dusty, hot (Oct is still summer in AZ). Upgraded to a better (a little) for $20 less than I was paying. Better wifi (a little), cable, still couldn't drink the water, everyone around me has a monstrous rig & a 1 ton dually 4x4 or is pushing a home on wheels. Price & convenience were my goal. Everyone has a little scooter/ATV to run around in. Watched yesterday as my neighbor took a bad exit from his ATV onto the ground, ya that worked! Also, question why seniors whom can't walk a straight line insist on having a big dog to pull them around?

Why not the $180 BLM land you ask, well it was my first travel trailer experience in more than 20 years wanted to learn the ropes.

Lessons learned:

I have figured out most of my workings of my small trailer.
I've learned to shower much like they do in the rest of the world. Use less than 2 gals.
I use paper plates & paper towels either burnable for now, disposable.
I've learned what a 'sewer slinky' is & how to use it.
I purchased a RhinoFlex sewer line for drainage, best according to sources.
I purchased 2 10' hoses (with water filter between them) that are designed for potable water sources, no rubbery taste, can't drink it anyway.
I've also learned what 'potable' means. I still get my drinking water from the many machines that dot Quartzsite. But hope to use my new tank.
I'm a drug store expert on the propane setup & where to get the best prices, have 2 spares.
Learned that solar power with converter is most efficient running my fridge, only use propane as an emergency. 2 battery system.
Learned how my furnace works & how to change the thermo-coupler & light the pilot light on my 5 gal water heater.
Making my bed was a pain, decided to get a sleeping bag, use my blankets under me, then use the sleeping bag as a comforter.
Keep what dish ware I've used washed immediately after use.
I use the laundry services here, close, cheaper & more convenient.
Learned to wear my clothes multiple days rather than change daily.
Learning all about solar panels & their varied uses.
Learned to open my black water drainage first then flush with the gray water drainage. Keep both lines closed, drain every other day.
Keep the trailer as orderly as possible, space is precious everything needs to be in it's place.
Overheard storage can be a head bumper, learned to close the doors when not in use.
Learned the easiest way to make coffee - French Press.
I've been practicing backing & parking my trailer, a monumental task for me.
Utilizing my sway bars for maximum safety while pulling my trailer.
How to prepare my trailer for safety & proper load for non sway action.
Learned that Parker is closer than at first thought, 35 miles with a Walmart & quite decent cafe (the Crossroads). Make a weekly trip up for supplies.

That all being said, I'm sure there are many other things I will learn as time marches on.

My goal is to get out on the BLM land with my 2 solar panels, 325 gal potable water tank, 2 extra propane bottles,,,etc for dry boon docking.
I learned that you can filter your gray water through 14 inches of sand in a self draining 5 gal bucket & have acceptable waste water to dump, no bleach.
The $40 commode I bought, not use the tiny porta potty in my cramped TT. it will be my black water waste using plastic bags, pet bedding, lime for proper disposal.
Burn all my paper products. Dump my non-burnable waste in a dumpster along the way. If I can solve this I will start boon docking in Oregon, Idaho, Nevada & Arizona full time.

Way to go!

I wanted to ask on the fridge, is it a propane fridge? If so the 120v side uses a considerable amount of power verses very little propane.

RVWanderer said:
 I haven't checked the dates of the tires, not sure where to look for the date code or whatever.  Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought about that.  The tires look excellent but you're right, could be older than that.  How long is rubber good on a tire when not in use?

There's a 4 digit code that is on the tire, 1st two digits are the week of the year, 2nd two digits are the year, usually found within an oval, so that 4616 would be the 46th week of 2016. A rule of thumb is a tire life span (for safety, not tread wear) of 5 years. Weigh your trailer to obtain a baseline to work with (about $11 at Flying J), and your truck & trailer together to be sure your within the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating of your truck. Happy Trails!

rm.w/aview said:
There's a 4 digit code that is on the tire, 1st two digits are the week of the year, 2nd two digits are the year, usually found within an oval, so that 4616 would be the 46th week of 2016. A rule of thumb is a tire life span (for safety, not tread wear) of 5 years. Weigh your trailer to obtain a baseline to work with (about $11 at Flying J), and your truck & trailer together to be sure your within the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating of your truck. Happy Trails!

The code on the trailer tires (4+ spare) say Jun, 13.   The van I'm using for my towing vehicle is a 1 ton Chevy cargo (6 x 10 with bulkhead), overload springs.  350 engine equipped with professionally installed towing package & commercial sway control hitch.  I think it will handle most loads, the trailer is just over 1,900 lbs or so the papers indicate.

Ha! - My 20 year old 19 foot travel trailer is now considered 'VINTAGE' or retro on one forum, if I ever do decide to sell it I can get top dollar for that classification.  Who would have thought, 'What goes around, comes around'.  I believe that the van is not considered Vintage/Antique/Classic until it reaches 25 years, it's 23 now.  

I wish I had saved all the comic books I had back in the late 40's early 50's along with the original 'Star War' toys I never bought but was told to accumulate.  I did have a 'Hopalong Cassidy' lunch box that would have paid off all my debt.  Not to mention the Fess Parker 'Davy Crockett' collectibles & large pile of 501 Levi's my mother tossed/donated when I joined the service, she needed the room for her hoarding.  Woulda, shoulda, coulda!

1900 lbs or so sounds light for a 20 year old 19 foot travel trailer, prolly best to verify that. The towing capacity of your truck is obtainable on the net. I share this only because I would have to know this information for my own peace of mind, no harm intended.
On the vintage stuff... who'd a thunk it. All that stuff we used and played with was for just that, not to put away and save. I often try to pick a vehicle out of today's line-up that has the possibility of being a future classic, unsuccessfully so far. What, if anything, would one purchase now and hoard for 30 years waiting for the item to be desirable?

rm.w/aview said:
1900 lbs or so sounds light for a 20 year old 19 foot travel trailer, prolly best to verify that. The towing capacity of your truck is obtainable on the net. I share this only because I would have to know this information for my own peace of mind, no harm intended.
On the vintage stuff... who'd a thunk it. All that stuff we used and played with was for just that, not to put away and save. I often try to pick a vehicle out of today's line-up that has the possibility of being a future classic, unsuccessfully so far. What, if anything, would one purchase now and hoard for 30 years waiting for the item to be desirable?
You're right, it should have been 2415 lbs dry weight,  I remember looking at the specs but must have looked at the 16 footer.

Attachments

• 19rb Aerolite dry weight.jpg
    19rb Aerolite dry weight.jpg
    105.1 KB