Get The Gold in California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang Adrian, what a hobby. If you make enough you can wine and dine me to music at the Grubsteak next year in Quartzsite.

Dragonfly

Hmmmm.... Highway 50..... There are a lot of nice names in that area: El Dorado, Placerville, Gold River, Mother Lode Dr......

I carry a metal detector with me, lots of jewlery and coins.
No life changing find yet.

I found a 1 oz Krugerrand on the subway before. Still have it. Put an ad on CL and in the local paper asking if anyone lost something very valuable on the subway. Got lots of replies, but no one that said they lost that. Sadly, it seems a lot of people lose a lot of expensive things on the subway! Quite a few replies of very specific items. And quite a few trying to guess what I found in hopes of getting it I assume.

Alcatraz said:
I have often thought about getting one. The cost of some of the better one's have put me off so far.

a good detector can be had for under 1k. I have a White's GMT they can be had for about 725 bucks. but they are a dedicated gold machine. however any detector will detect any metal. I like White's, they are built in the USA in Sweet Home Oregon. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
  I like White's,  they are built in the USA in Sweet Home Oregon.  highdesertranger

I used to work for a guy that sold White Metal Detectors, and after watching him demo them more than a few times had sort of decided that an MXT was the one I wanted. Not a dedicated Gold detector, but a good all around one. I'm sure there are newer better ones now.

yeah I hear good things about the MXT very versatile detector. highdesertranger

It boggles my mind to see how much better those are than my old Rat Shack model...wish I could afford one!

Alcatraz said:
No life changing find yet.

Is it more for the "search", or have you found enough to make carrying one worthwhile?  Considered/considering carrying one when I go back on the road.

I always say prospecting is Mother Nature's lotto. however metal detecting is the hardest form of prospecting. you would not believe all the junk I have found, but I look at it this way at least I am cleaning up trash that others would never find. I have found lots of jewelry and coins in parks. so if you were to ask me I would say yes it's worth it to bring along. highdesertranger

heck yea,especially if your east coast,out here in the west a rusty piece of iron is just a 100 year old rusty piece of iron but just outside Boston...

IF you have a cheapo metal detector you are still able to get a lot of stuff. I like the cheap machines since you will clean up all the surface finds off the floor if a park. That way you can come back later and scoop up all the better finds with a better detector. Keep record of your hunts and try and leave some sort of marker behind you can return to and go back to work on the ground you want to pound. What to leave behind lead weights off tires you can find these when you do your AM walk they are ideal markers they send out a good loud sound. Also check CL for MD go to yard sales if you want a better detector you would be surprised how often I have come across high end detectors.