Generator Selection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
To all who have a generator, Other than the Honda what would be the best 2000w Invertor generator in terms of Most Bang for the Buck?

I see cheaper prices for it doing an online search

I think the cheaper the generator the more important the warranty and break in becomes. Yamaha makes some good products but still way to expensive for my pocket book. Champion has had good reviews. I bought a 3500 watt Predator from Harbor Freight on sale with a coupon and got the longest warranty they offered for less than $600. I would think if you can afford the initial price, a Honda will save you money in the long run. I couldn’t and really didn’t plan to have to use the generator as much as I have, so I went as cheap as I possibly could to run AC and other high load 120 volt appliances without having to modify them as well as supplement solar charging of my batteries. I found it necessary to change the oil after 20 minutes run time and continue to do so until the oil came out without casting sand or machine shavings. For mine it just took 2 changes. You will most likely have to clean out the spark arrestor with a can of Gumout spray carburetor cleaner as it will probably get clogged up while breaking in. Once broken in I change oil every 100 hours as recommended. I also use Stabil 360 as recommended to treat the fuel. Some use cheap spark plugs that will foul quickly and those will need to be changed prematurely. The starter battery after sitting a few days failed to crank and in order to get it replaced I would have had to return the whole unit for a new one so I just start it every day or use the pull start as it starts easily. Other than that it has worked well for almost 3 years. I would have liked to get a Honda but just couldn’t justify spending 3 or 4 times as much as I really didn’t think I would use it as much as I have.

I have a competitor (2000w Buffalo Tools gas/propane) but this one is less expensive on the big "A" shopping site. Many of these are likely out of the same factory anyway. One of the big A reviews on mine said this: "I'm 64 and live in a hurricane-prone area. I wanted a generator, but when I tried one of the larger ones, I found it almost impossible to move around by myself. This suitcase-sized generator worked great for about 6 hours after Hurricane Dorian last year, and another six hours after Hurricane Isaias yesterday. In both cases, I turned it off when the power came back on. It will charge *either* my refrigerator or my freezer, along with all of my devices, my rechargeable lights and also a floor fan, all in the fuel-saving "economy" mode. I can't charge both freezer and fridge simultaneously, but I can move it back and forth to save the food in each for a day or two. I like that it works with both propane and gasoline. It's less loud than my lawnmower, particularly in economy mode. I use it with my backyard grill propane tanks and it's clean and easy to hook up. It was a lifesaver after Isaias!"

Being the same age I would agree, it's heavy but manageable. The other thing I noticed is even after turning the fuel valve open on the propane tank it still takes 8-10 good pulls. I read a review somewhere and the guy said that the way around this issue is to lightly screw on the propane hose (so that it will just leak a bit) then turn on the valve. When you smell the propane at the generator then (with gloves) tighten the hose fully. Now the hose is charged with propane/no air and it starts in 1-2 pulls. Makes sense!

A-iPower SUA2000iD 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator Gas & Propane Powered, Small with Super Quiet Operation for Home. 4.5 out of 5 stars, 1,513 reviews
$449.00
FREE Shipping

Propane burns cleaner, no fuel fumes, doesn't go bad etc... Having dual fuel allows you to have a spare method of running it.

There are two choices when looking at a 2000 watt inverter generator.

1. Honda and Yamaha

2. Everything else

If you want the unit to last and work when you need it to than pick choice 1

Choice 2 are all Chinese made and many are exact copies of Honda and Yamaha. They all run about the same level of quality, many are made in the same factory. They do work and they will provide power. However they will not last as long as choice 1 and parts for repair may or may not be available. The one exception to this is Champion. Their parts are on Ebay, Amazon and their own website.

I have personally used the Ryobi, Honda EU 2000 and the Harbor Freight Predator 2000.

Ryobi failed to start after 3 months of storage, needed carb cleaned.

Predator is new just broken in, have not had a chance to torture test yet.

Honda is the gold standard and started after 6 months of storage. I have since installed the fuel shut off mod. The new EU2200i comes with this feature.

If there is any way to afford choice 1 do it. If you cannot then get good at tinkering and watch all the videos so you can deal with the machine when it hiccups.

All of them can be converted to propane, which will take ethanol, water, dirt, stale gas in the carb issues out of the equation at the expense of a few watts pf power.

There is one other machine out there called the Alps 1000 it is propane only. So it does not have a gasoline tank. This makes the machine weigh 28 lbs. This could be an attractive option for someone who is old or disabled who cannot lift a bigger machine. If you need more than 1000 watts buy two of them and run in parallel.

Hope this helps someone.

The small Hondas are made in Thailand and the Yamahas are made in China.

Having owned a Lifan 200 motorcycle, which has been great BTW, I bought a Lifan 2200 inverter generator. Never could get it to run right so I returned it. Next I bought a Wen 1250 inverter generator that has been great. I also bought a Wen 3800 inverter generator that I like. Wen generators are low price but quality is good.

Honda 2200i (great long lasting genset), $1,100 gas only

Champion Power Equipment 2500-Watt Ultralight Portable Dual Fuel Recoil Start Inverter Generator, Model# 100899 $599.00

Me, I'd risk the Champion dual fuel (2500) and only run it off propane. It's almost 1/2 the price of the "red" one.

Those Honda inverter generators are the bees knees. They are just so darn reliable and easy to use. Set it to economy mode, and it varies the rpm according to load. At idle, you can barely hear the thing run. That feature alone should be the deciding factor. Not having a loud generator and having one that just sips the gas instead of chugging it. I have used them before at work, although I don't own one, they are way outside my price budget. But if the right used unit crossed my path...

I've had two honda's and several Champions..... I sold the honda's and will keep my new Champion.

Thanks for all the information. I was defiantly thinking of the Champion.

I have 4 generators

An older Coleman Powermate 6500 (loud non inverter)
A 2006 Honda 2000watt inverter generator
A pulsar 2000watt generator
A Harbor Freight 3500 Predator Inverter generator

They all work and look like like new.  I take very good care of them.
The Honda has the most time on it.
The Honda probably has the best quality motor regarding bearings, materials, piston rings etc.
The Pulsar is surprisingly well made but it does have the cheaper chinese motor.  Then again, I could buy 4 Pulsars for the price of one Honda.
The Harbor Freight generator is solid.

Here's my 2 cents.....
If you will be using your generator frequently as in more than 7 days out of a month for more than 6 months for a year......go Honda or Yamaha

If you want a standby generator that will be used only occasionally such as for storms or power outages, get a Pulsar 2200watt generator for power without using much fuel AND a HarborFreight Predator 3500 for heavier loads.  Remember that generators are only as good as the amount of fuel you have access to during an outage so supplies may be limited.

Regardless of what generator you get, if it uses gasoline, get Stabil BLUE MARINE 360 and use it as directed.
Having worked on motorcycles, cars and most anything that runs on petroleum products, I can tell you that that additive is unlike any other.
There is a reason for that because it literally coats the inside passages with a brilliant coating that is similar to teflon in some ways that perfectly protects small orifices and internal metals perfectly.

I had an EU2000 in my Step Van. Because of my Solar Install, I found I hardly used it. When I did, the rascal always started HARD. Had very low hours on it when I sold it with the truck.

No interested in that kind of investment this time around, with my trailer also having an adequate solar install, I did not go for a Honda.

I bought a Pulsar G2319N off of Amazon after calling the sellers business in California. He was very accommodating, had clear answers, and promised (for what its worth), that I would be happy with the purchase and he would stand behind any problem I had, if I had any.

I've had it for about 2 years, use it more than I did the Honda (borrow it out to my daughter), and it starts and runs wonderfully. The ONLY thing is I think the TONE when wound up is a little more "whiny" ?? I could care less. It was around $400 (the price of 3 Honda's in my neighborhood), and was worth the shot. I certainly like the extra few watts

I'd say if your 100% relying on a Generator for your power, and your on the road all the time, the Honda or Yamaha might be worth it. So, some of it depends on a guys use, expectations and ability to replace it if it fails after warranty.