Gas Pump Credit Card Skimmers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firtree

Reaction score
Just read an article saying Secret Service is warning to be alert for credit card skimmers on gas pumps this holiday and to pay inside. Don’t know why the holiday is more dangerous than any other day but if they are putting out a warning there must be some reason. 
Thought the CC chip was to prevent such nonsense. Guess not. 

What do you do to prevent gas pump or any other CC skimmer theft?

Check out the scanner see if it looks added on.

Or use a CC that will comp you back. Or

Go inside to pay. Or

Pay cash.

Or don't worry, chances are slim.

Drive safe, more important and risk is higher

Firtree said:
Don’t know why the holiday is more dangerous than any other day
Higher volume / hour gives bigger payoffs before the AIs catch on.

One of the advantages of spending most of my time in rural areas is that scammers like these tend to stick to cities.

My friend's son works for the company the services WaWa gasoline stations on the east coast. He has found skimmers installed inside the pump housing, with no outward indication. There can always be insider criminals. My cards are protected against fraud.

Weight said:
My friend's son works for the company the services WaWa gasoline stations on the east coast. He has found skimmers installed inside the pump housing, with no outward indication. There can always be insider criminals. My cards are protected against fraud.

Same happened in my AO. I called the parent company of the gas company (BP, Shell, Mobil) and raised hell.

Speculation on the inside mounted ones is that the keys to the pumps are available online. Or the employees could be doing it when replacing the receipt paper.

Most of the pump card readers stick out some . I always grab it and wiggle and pull on it. . If it comes off it’s a skimmer . Or that’s my thinking since I was a mechanic for 20 years at an Exxon. It was a privately owned station so we were responsible for everything. Those pumps cost the owner 30 grand each back then used . We always checked our locks and did a walk around when we picked up to close. And when we put stuff out when we opened. If we thought the pump was tampered with it was checked . Now days these big companies don’t care about the customers. Unless a pump stops pumping it’s never looked at

If you can use a credit card, don't use a debit card where skimmers could be used. The credit card companies will fix the problem fast, but banks don't want to make good quite as well.

I realize this is a few months old but I will reply anyway.

Download the app called "skimmer scanner." It scans the area within 25ft for all skimmers. It is invaluable and I use it on every ATM/gas pump/store card reader I use. It works. Must have a smart phone with Bluetooth capabilities.

katajojo said:
I realize this is a few months old but I will reply anyway.

Download the app called "skimmer scanner." It scans the area within 25ft for all skimmers. It is invaluable and I use it on every ATM/gas pump/store card reader I use. It works. Must have a smart phone with Bluetooth capabilities.

Thank you for this

I only use cash for gas purchases...I haven't got money to be throwing away by using a credit card and don't own a smart phone to use any apps. for detecting skimmers...don't use unfamiliar ATMs either...just my local bank ATM...

For people who don't know what a credit card skimmer looks like.

Here is a news article about them.

I guess drivers in NJ don't have to worry about CC skimmers!  All gas stations there are full service and you're not even allowed to pump your own gas.

Hopefully the employee doesn't have a card reader on their phone. All kinds of skimmers out there.

Yeah, that's true.  They've even caught waiters doing it in restaurants.

Another place to be careful is at a fast food drive through. You can't see what they are doing with the card.

I used one card that I had not used for a long time at a fast food joint. Next thing I knew I was getting charges for NetFlix on the card. I don't have Netflix. I called Netflix and they pulled up the account with my name on it. The thief copied the name and number on the card and probably the code on the back. Since it was internet based they could be anyone anywhere, but the only place I used the card was at the one drive through.

They have those green federal reserve notes that are still accepted at face value for the time being.
I find it hard to believe that a third party could add hardware at the pump and not be noticed. CCTV.
Has anyone here actually seen a fuel pump card skimmer in real life?

My card issuer sends me a text about every charge. Unusual charges require me to text "confirm" or "deny" back. And that's a hard denial, the charge will not go through.

I have always checked for skimmers, but I got nailed in Vegas by one. The other time my card number was stolen was from a restaurant.

Never use a debit card is my best advice. Or pay cash.

The card skimmer DAN is a member of a HackerSpace where I am at right NOW-
Seriously --
Dan was ID by another member at the space about 6 months ago -

Dan has a Blue Shuttle Bus that has 16 hundred watts of solar on top -
He is now clean shaven -
He has supposedly gone straight now but he was
ripping people off for MANY years on credit card stuff -

He seems like a OK guy - I have talked to him many times -
He is possibly on this forum too -