gas and electric ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
I'm figuring the layout of a kitchen area that would be the width of my 6x10 utility trailer. It would include a cook top (I have a chance to get a small range real cheap, so maybe an oven is a possibility ), small sink and a Whynter fridge with 6 gallon water tank below that . Since there will be a lot going on in the base cabinet with a water pump and the lead  ins for the pump and fridge and gas line, my question is; is there a danger of having electrical connections in a confined space along with a gas connection? I'm thinking about the possibility of a gas leak and a spark.
Also , I haven't seen this camper stove/oven in person, but does anyone know where the gas leads in (back or side?)

And one last question; does that south like a lot of weight to be adding to the front of the trailer ?

Thanks

as far as the weight, just counter balance with weight in the rear. don't exceed GVWR. I would go with the stove/oven combo. ovens are great. the propane attachment for the RV stove/oven is at the top in the back. I would keep sparky equipment separate from propane. highdesertranger

I agree with HDR, but I don't think you'll be anywhere close to too heavy with that set up. Currently in the front of my 6x12 I have 16 gallons of water between 3 containers, a large battery, a Porta Potty with it's water tank, my kitchen box, and various other do dads. It's somewhat balanced by a 400 Lb motorcycle, but much of that weight is forward of the axle.

I like the idea of a RV range, I have access to one that I'm thinking of building a box for so I can still move it out of the trailer if need be ( my current Kitchen box is over 3' long and sits on the left side of the trailer, just behind the counter/cabinet that takes up the whole V nose). Also, gas lines should never leak, and if installed properly won't just randomly start leaking. They aren't like water lines, where the water can sometimes corrode the pipe. You should have a flexible connection between the LP piping and the range to account for road vibration. On the same note, electrical shouldn't randomly be creating a spark. About the only time that happens is if the wiring is installed in such a way as it can become chaffed, and cut through the insulation - so avoid wires rubbing against metal corners. The connections at the battery can sometimes spark a little while connecting things, but it's not likely you'll have your battery right next to your LP connections.

masterplumber said:
Thanks  - all very good and helpful info. With that in mind I might increase the size of the water tank

I agree with HDR, but I don't think you'll be anywhere close to too heavy with that set up. Currently in the front of my 6x12 I have 16 gallons of water between 3 containers, a large battery, a Porta Potty with it's water tank, my kitchen box, and various other do dads. It's somewhat balanced by a 400 Lb motorcycle, but much of that weight is forward of the axle.

I like the idea of a RV range, I have access to one that I'm thinking of building a box for so I can still move it out of the trailer if need be ( my current Kitchen box is over 3' long and sits on the left side of the trailer, just behind the counter/cabinet that takes up the whole V nose). Also, gas lines should never leak, and if installed properly won't just randomly start leaking. They aren't like water lines, where the water can sometimes corrode the pipe. You should have a flexible connection between the LP piping and the range to account for road vibration. On the same note, electrical shouldn't randomly be creating a spark. About the only time that happens is if the wiring is installed in such a way as it can become chaffed, and cut through the insulation - so avoid wires rubbing against metal corners. The connections at the battery can sometimes spark a little while connecting things, but it's not likely you'll have your battery right next to your LP connections.

I much prefer something along the lines of portable camp stoves, then I use a Coleman style folding oven, which can cook anything any other RV oven can cook, maybe just slightly smaller. I cook everything from cookies, muffins, and bread, up to turkeys and roasts in mine.

The advantage of keeping everything portable is that it can also be used outdoors if you choose, without duplication. I also like a clear countertop for use with other projects too. The more things you can make multi-purpose, the fewer things you need to carry.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I much prefer something along the lines of portable camp stoves, then I use a Coleman style folding oven, which can cook anything any other RV oven can cook, maybe just slightly smaller. I cook everything from cookies, muffins, and bread, up to turkeys and roasts in mine.

The advantage of keeping everything portable is that it can also be used outdoors if you choose, without duplication. I also like a clear countertop for use with other projects too. The more things you can make multi-purpose, the fewer things you need to carry.

I'll check those out because in my current static life I have a bread making hobby. I was thinking that one plus about the oven is using it for food storage when not in use, plus an additional heat source option in an emergency.