Future tech will give you the benefits of city life anywhere | Julio Gil

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boots Nomad

Reaction score
He's talking about people moving back to the country; but his points are equally valid for nomads (TED talk about the mobility of technology/off grid/etc.)

It's well-paying JOBS that are needed most outside our population centers.

I think there are already many taking advantage of the ability to be connected be it in a house or mobile like we are. The tech is here, maybe not as spectacular as VR meetings and holograms but people can function just the same. What really needs to improve is the internet connections needed to be able to work from the countryside or on the road. I go through some effort just to stay connected everywhere and in a number of places just streaming SD is iffy. Add in the cost of data when even unlimited plans are rarely truly unlimited and it puts a damper on

Company management's ability to get good productivity from "knowledge worker" professionals (those few not replaced by AI) is the limiting factor.

Many high-tech companies have been scaling back work-at-home, not ramping it up.

Easily measured stuff like data-entry is different, but mostly outsourced overseas.

Remember with most online work, you're competing with people for whom $1000 a month puts them in their country's 1%.

John61CT said:
Company management's ability to get good productivity from "knowledge worker" professionals (those few not replaced by AI) is the limiting factor.

Management's perception of getting good productivity, I'd say. 

It always cracks me up how managers panic at the thought of remote management when they are managing in person yet.  The people I've telecommuted with/for have been more productive because no one is standing at their desk blabbing about cat pictures, football, or whatever garbage fundraiser item their spawn is trying to sell.

Dilbert cartoon
cartoo1.gif