Future plans - what am I missing?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you said you wanted a wood stove, right? I don't believe you should have oxygen around an open flame. highdesertranger

Too late! LOL. I've sat by fires plenty of times. The machine itself is kept well away, at least 25 feet. But if I'm wearing the tubes, I have sat as close as 3 feet to a fire with no problem. These have all bee "contained" fires, in fireplaces. Haven't sat out by an open campfire, because I haven't had electricity near one yet.
I'm also not supposed to wear it while using a heating pad, or on a bed with lots of pillows and blankets. I do that, too!
I think the main issue is not letting anything like clothing become overly saturated with oxygen and then getting those too hot so they combust. If I were to (continue) to be careful about that, I think it would be okay. If I'm not actually wearing a tube, I turn the machine off, rather than let it "leak" all over and get anything to a flammable point.

I know oil and oxygen will spontaneously combust. the people I know who were on oxygen were told to stay away from open flames. highdesertranger

Haha! Yes! Every winter I think I'm going to end up making an explosion, because I can see all those blue mini lightnings when I toss and turn in bed! But hasn't happened yet...
Or when the cats walk around on the bed, and then come touch their noses to my cheek - ZAP!....gosh, I hate when they do that!

You can remove the tanks from a Class C, or just not use them, and there is a lot more room in them. Crawling around in a van seems more unpleasant as my years go up. I may get one, but I will not be a full timer.
Senior housing I think is the way to go. Have a van for weekend trips. Some cities have their own programs. I was living in Alameda Ca, and the city had great housing, and it was dirt cheap because the rent was based on income. I don't think you could live as economical in an RV. There is usually a waiting list to get one, so you might qualify to get on a waiting list while you are still where you are.