Future full-timer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwoebs

Reaction score
Hi All or Y'all,

I will be a full-time nomad in about 10 months.  The idea germinated 4 years ago when I discovered some YouTubers - Nomadic Fanatic and Gone with the Wynns at first, Bob and others later.  2.5 years ago I decided to sell my condo, which took some preparation (de-cluttering).  I did sell it, got out of DEBT (!!) and downsized from a 2-2 condo with 6 closets to a 1-1 apartment with 1 closet.  Although I did not quite realize it only had 1 closet when I rented it... This turned out to be a great method of getting rid of even more junk!  Now I'm in the process of moving into a studio apartment and a 10x10 storage unit.  Methodical, planned, some would say slow downsizing.  I live in Austin, Texas with 1 dog and it will continue to be my home base.  Just not in the summer.

Next steps - work from home IT job and figure out what vehicle.  I am in that middle aged no longer wanting to live the Cubicle Bound Existence crowd.

Sadly, my condo did not net me Earth Roamer money.  I am looking at custom camper vans, used true class B/B+ (Pleasure Way or similar), or as an outlier a truck camper.  Van-wise I'd prefer a Chevy or Ford.  Cannot quite convince myself to go with a Fiat Ducato (err, Promaster) or a Mercedes ($).  Would be great if affordable, decent van converters existed.  Sportsmobile here was more expensive than I would like.

Anyone have experience with DLM - Distributors (haven't them contacted yet) or Morehead Design Lab (they have not answered my e-mail...).

See you on the open road soon, Matt

Welcome Schwoebs to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome Schwoebs! Great start on your downsizing!! Waiting is the hardest part, but if you continue to be methodical, your rig will show up!

Hi, Schwoebs,

Sounds like a good plan.  My RV home base is near Liberty Hill just north of you; I am currently in Colorado in my PleasureWay, hopefully until October to avoid the awful heat.

If you are looking for Class B's, try Stahmann RVs in Seguin.  That's where I found my Pleasure Way.  PPL Motorhomes usually will have a few, too.  Both of them have good websites with lots of pics and details.

Best wishes in your new venture!

Welcome!  You've already done the real hard part, that's the downsizing. Now to take time to watch YouTube videos on vandwelling and read up on these forums.  There are also Class B specific owners groups like PleasureWay and Roadtrek you can join.

We have several good sub-forums that you should check out on all sorts of topics.

Ask away and we will try to guide or assist!

Latest posts