Furnaces created equal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Looking at getting a diesel furnace for my van. They are all near the same price point, $130, but are all of these Chinese furnaces at this price point created equal?

Follow up question; How do I determine how many BTUs I need for my 2014 standard size Econloline? I’m camping in Oregon right now and thru the winter. Temps will definitely get into the teens this season.

Any other cautions or advice?

Thanks gang!

Factories produce the units. Sellers put labels on them. They could very likely be from the same factory if selling at the same price. Or they might not be; it would be impossible to tell that without a deep dive into each seller’s purchasing invoices. Even color differences are not a sure indication as a reseller might order plastic parts in a specific color choice for their brand but the basic unit is still from the same factory, a common practice.

Factories produce the units. Sellers put labels on them. They could very likely be from the same factory if selling at the same price. Or they might not be; it would be impossible to tell that without a deep dive into each seller’s purchasing invoices. Even color differences are not a sure indication as a reseller might order plastic parts in a specific color choice for their brand but the basic unit is still from the same factory, a common practice.
Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it!

I remember a couple of years ago when I was first researching van, life and diesel furnaces that there was an issue with the pump or the pump switch being noisy. Do you know if that continues to be an issue with furnace is presently or has that issue been addressed? Thanks!

Vancity Vanlife on YouTube has moved into an uninsulated van as his van needs a new engine and he is using an all in one diesel furnace in a somewhat temporary setup. I can hear the clicking of the pump in his videos. Some sound insulation around that area may be in order.

Vancity Vanlife on YouTube has moved into an uninsulated van as his van needs a new engine and he is using an all in one diesel furnace in a somewhat temporary setup. I can hear the clicking of the pump in his videos. Some sound insulation around that area may be in order.
Shadowmoss, I have a 2,000 btu Chinese diesel heater and the pump makes a clicking sound, I isolated the pump by using a piece of rubber under the clamp that secures the pump. That helped a lot. The units come in 2,000 and 4,000 btu units, for a truck camper I would get the smaller unit to prevent over heating the camper. Check out the Facebook group for Chinese heaters. I use mine to make my 12 x 16' insulated workshop comfortable to work in.

The Chinese diesel heaters are available in 3 sizes that I'm aware of. Most common is sold as a 5 KW unit. They also sell some of the 5 KW size as 8 KW. Then there is a more rare larger 8 KW. Then the 2 KW which would be a better fit for a van but are less common. Many people use the all in one 5 KW outside the van with the heat piped in through a flex hose. I've never seen a 2 KW all in one unit. Most parts are interchangeable in heaters of the same size. Vevor seems to be emerging as a common brand but is no different than the other brands I've seen.

If you're going with an all in one heater for use outside the van, make sure it comes with a remote.

I don't have the time to look up the Amazon links but still want to add my 2cents.
Avoid the 5Kw Red one, go with the 8KW bluish looking one.

I had the red one and it didn't last long AT ALL, it died within the Return Period (whilst I was in the Boston snow!)
When researching relacments I learned that they all run about 2KW lower than claimed. I got the 8kw, and had no-further problems.

The Chinese diesel heaters are available in 3 sizes that I'm aware of. Most common is sold as a 5 KW unit. They also sell some of the 5 KW size as 8 KW. Then there is a more rare larger 8 KW. Then the 2 KW which would be a better fit for a van but are less common. Many people use the all in one 5 KW outside the van with the heat piped in through a flex hose. I've never seen a 2 KW all in one unit. Most parts are interchangeable in heaters of the same size. Vevor seems to be emerging as a common brand but is no different than the other brands I've seen.

If you're going with an all in one heater for use outside the van, make sure it comes with a remote.
Good thoughts thank you!

I don't have the time to look up the Amazon links but still want to add my 2cents.

I had the red one and it didn't last long AT ALL, it died within the Return Period (whilst I was in the Boston snow!)
When researching relacments I learned that they all run about 2KW lower than claimed. I got the 8kw, and had no-further problems.
Very Good input! Thanks!
Okay! Thanks! That’s what I thought! I guess I’ll have to get crafty!

I’ll check out the 8KW and the dimensions.

I hadn’t heard that they tend to run 2 kW lower than listed! I’ll definitely pay attention to that! Lol! Thanks!

Wherever you buy your $130 heater, compare return policies. Or take a (very) deep breath and buy a Webasto or an Espar.

IIRC, either Foresty Forest or Slim Potatohead (or maybe both?) found a way to deal with the clicking.

Wherever you buy your $130 heater, compare return policies. Or take a (very) deep breath and buy a Webasto or an Espar.
$2000 ÷ $130 = 15 (the number of El Cheapo heaters you can buy for the price of one Webasto).

$2000 ÷ $130 = 15 (the number of El Cheapo heaters you can buy for the price of one Webasto).
Yhanks much for the advice. You get what you pay for!

I asked the owner of the van build shop that did my electrical about furnaces. He said he only intstalls Webastos.

I told him I would seriously get back to him when I had the cash on hand for their furnish the taps directly into the fuel tank. Hence it is a gasoline heater. Lot Les fuss and muss with one source,? And every time you drive you are cognizant of how much fuel you have since the gas gauge is the only gauge needed for the furnace.

If I could afford a Webasto this year, I do it in a heartbeat.

One needs to consider the controller. Do the Chinese controllers function like a true thermostat? Will it cycle the heater on, monitor and regulate the interior temperature and cycle the heater off as the sun warms the interior? Or will one have to regulate the interior temperature by opening and closing a window?

Yes they have a thermostat but the heater does not shut off completely, just range between the lowest and highest speeds.

One needs to consider the controller. Do the Chinese controllers function like a true thermostat? Will it cycle the heater on, monitor and regulate the interior temperature and cycle the heater off as the sun warms the interior? Or will one have to regulate the interior temperature by opening and closing a window?
Great thought! I’ll definitely check that function out before purchasing. Thx!