Fuel Economy - Chevrolet 4.3litre VS 4.8 litre V8

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wikipedia indicates that the 1500 van never got the 6 speed through 2014:

Transmissions:
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]4-speed automatic 4L60-E on 1500 (2003–2014)[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]4-speed automatic 4L80-E on 2500 and 3500 (2003-2009)[/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]6 speed automatic 6L90-E on 2500 and 3500 (2010-present)[/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]8 speed on I4 Duramax (2017-present)[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]So if he wanted a 6 speed he'd have to get the 2500 in that year range (post 2010) and probably the 5.3 (I know he won't want the 6.0).[/font]

I've got a '15 Express with the 4.8 and had a hightop installed at Tuffport (I'm a Vancouver guy too). Fuel economy in traffic can be brutal, it's been as bad as 25l/100 km (9.4mpg) i

I just got back from a 3500 km road trip to Yellowstone and many places in between, fuel economy was 13.3l/100 km (17.7 mpg) over the whole trip. The 4.8 has adequate power and quite acceptable fuel economy on the highway (for such a heavy vehicle). I certainly wouldn't want a less powerful engine. Get the 6 speed if you can find one .

Canada's 150th birthday will be the day I pull the pin and become a full time dweller.

Whitey said:
I've got a '15 Express with the 4.8 and had a hightop installed at Tuffport (I'm a Vancouver guy too). Fuel economy in traffic can be brutal, it's been as bad as 25l/100 km (9.4mpg) i

I just got back from a 3500 km road trip to Yellowstone and many places in between, fuel economy was 13.3l/100 km (17.7 mpg) over the whole trip.  The 4.8 has adequate power and quite acceptable fuel economy on the highway (for such a heavy vehicle). I certainly wouldn't want a less powerful engine. Get the 6 speed if you can find one .

Canada's 150th birthday will be the day I pull the pin and become a full time dweller.

Great real life info there!  Hope you enjoy the rig.

BTW, I am well aware that the 4.3 V6 will get better mpg than the 4.8 V8 if both vans were empty. It's more about if the 4.3 V6 has to work harder due to carrying about 800LBS is it going to get worse mpg.

I'd venture a guess that an additional 800 pounds is right at the limit of making the smaller motor work excessively.  If you can find out via the glovebox build codes, what the rear gear ratio is, that may also help you decide. For that small a motor, I'd be wanting a 3.73 or deeper. I don.t know what year you are looking at so I guessed 2010.

A replacement web site shows everywhere from a 2.73 to a 4.10...
Partsgeek.com
2010 Chevrolet Express 1500 Differential Ring and Pinion

Just found that the 2010 and later 4.8 V8s have a 6 speed transmission. I'm guessing that the 6 speed V8 will do better MPG ( or close ) to the 4 speed of the 4.3 V6. Heavily leaning towards the 6 speed V8 at this point.

Yep, that would be the better choice. I posted earlier (#15) how to tell if the van has a 6 speed or 4 speed visually, scroll back and you'll see that. Not to belabor the point but the 2010 1500 series did not have a 6 speed (Edmunds Auto: "The Chevy Express 1500 is powered by a 5.3-liter V8 with 310 hp and 334 pound-feet of torque. A four-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive are standard, and all-wheel drive is optional. The maximum towing capacity with this engine is 6,200 pounds. Fuel economy is 13 mpg city/17 mpg highway and 14 mpg combined.

The rear-drive-only 2500 and 3500 get a 6.0-liter V8 with 323 hp and 373 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed automatic is standard. The maximum towing capacity for a properly equipped 3500 model is 9,900 pounds." End of Edmunds Auto quote

So be careful to make sure the van has the 6 speed in the 1500 series. They dropped the 1500 in 2014, to enough were being bought as compared to 2500's.

Anyway, glad that we've been able to help you decide. I dont think that you will be disappointed choosing the V8 instead of the V6. Now there will be some (Bob included) who would tell you to look for the 5.3 V8 which was an earlier model, so whatever you can afford year wise.

I have a 99 1500 express with tv top.  the 5.7 V8.  at 7000lbs (just weighted at dump) and truck tires we get 16.3 mpg on highway staying under 60mph.  hope that helps
e

since the 1500 v8's were mentioned i'll add our take (of said van) in the loop that i've shared elsewhere.

Our 2010 1500 cargo van came with the GM 5.3 Liter V8 EcoTec3 L83 Engine. As i type we have just over 40K miles on the rig and it runs/looks great. We do run just under the GVW yet still get ~14 city and ~16 hwy. When we were pulling our 2400lb fiberglass trailer it still had plenty of go uphills, i could easily punch the gas at 55 to pass another RV and get the two up to 65/70 and pass.

I'm hoping that Chevy will get on board with an Express redesign to include a medium or high-top option.

Thom

I bought a 2012 Express! 4.8L V8 with 6 speed transmission. Non extended low top. Don't think I'll do much better than that. I intend to do the build super light to hopefully increase my mpg just a little more.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Great, that's settled, now the build... I'll try to find wireless in the next few weeks to see if you've posted up a build video. Have fun, you've already built 2 rigs out so this should be getting to be "old hat".   :)

Nice to hear you settled on a van.  I look forward to seeing how you build it out.  

I've been eyeing a 2015 Express 2500 4.8 / 6-spd. extended w/20k mi. this week, but being the Bay Area, it's priced at $24,000 + tax. lic, doc fees, etc.......  
It's being sold by one of those fleet dealers, so it's not a private sale (sometimes I like dealers better).  

I'm definitely with OAI on the fuel economy issue; always trying to squeeze the last drop out.  Coming from a Transit Connect that gets 27mpg on the highway, and low 20's in town, dropping to 13 - 16 mpg is a hard pill to swallow.  

It's been my biggest stopping point...  Well that and knowing I'd never fit the beast in my tiny carport.

Yeah... the mpg difference is not fun. However, ultimately it may be an extra $100 per month in gas. Considering I feel like I now live in a palace in terms of space I think it's worth it. I previously had the extended version of the Express when I had my Hightop. I find the nonextended easier to parallel park.

Gas is currently $1.36 a litre in Vancouver... so ain't that just dandy. :(