Front end vibration Dodge Grand caravan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capricci

Reaction score
My Dodge Grand caravan has recently been a strange vibration in the engine, or possibly dash?thst is growing stronger. I can't really feel it when driving, but in drive sitting at red lights it is very strong, and is growing stronger. Is there any kind of respect online that informs of common minivan problems that I could consult before seeking a mechanic? I am very worried about getting cheated by mechanics. I just have no idea where to start. This is probably the greatest area of fear in my life. I love my minivan so much, but live in dread of her at the same time.

No service or check engine light?

What's your major city? Motor mounts come to mind first. Might be throttle body (use Chemtool for throttle body) or injectors -- buy some Seafoam injector cleaner for the gas tank, see if that helps. Caravans have vibration issues all stemming from a number of issues.

How old is your battery? Have a load check done.

Have you replaced anything with the van recently?

Grab a drink and read this thread about caravan issues: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t4367_ds463681

Thanks! I don't really understand most of what you said, but i will look at the thread and Google all those things. O or maybe YouTube them.

when was last time for tune up and oil change? more info would help too, such as rough idle , trying to die out etc...

The ring on harmonic balancer would come loose.
You could jack up the passenger's side, remove front wheel, and pull splash guard off, and inspect.
They made C-vans by the bushel. SOMEONE is going to have a problem with SOMETHING on the vehicle, so don't let people freak you out by all the reports-
Not helpful.
Overall, a vibration at idle doesn't rate high on problems that scare me- If it's performing fine otherwise.
Mine has 225k now, and has delivered excellent economy and reliability.

It could be as simple as needing a tune up. When I first read tittle I thought motor mount but then I read it did it when you were just sitting there it threw that out for me. I have had a few bad motor mounts on vans. I would say if you haven’t had a tune up in a while try that. If you go to a mechanic and they can’t guarantee that what they want to fix is the problem then go to another one. Sadly I got sick of repairs on mine and sent it to the junk yard in September. It had less than 135,000 miles on it. But the vibration can be common and can happen with age. That is one problem I wouldn’t worry to much about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like one of your motor mounts may have gone bad. They hold the motor to the chassis of the van, and are basically large blocks of rubber to reduce vibration from the motor to the van itself. Once one goes bad, then it stops the vibration reduction. You would feel this vibration more at lower-engine-speeds then higher.

If your motor seems to be running normally (not sputtering or surging) then my bet is on a motor mount. Unfortunately, the easiest way to determine that is with another set of eyes; In Drive (foot firmly on brakes), one person go watch engine (lift hood first of course, do not stand directly in front of van) while the other presses the gas firmly (keep other foot hard on brakes). The engine should move slightly, but not jump around in the engine compartment. If it moves more than an inch or so, the motor mount is your problem.

Good luck

This typeof things need to talk this isone of things I did alot of being an alignment person brake & shacks but talking to find out to many things my email is [email protected] there lots of people that know everything but do not well i am in Mo right now yesIhave a shop but being 75yearsold I out to help outer people with my lifetime of doing auto& truck I had a shop in Glen Ellyn, Il, for 35 years did many alignment on motor homes from people from all over it so hard to find anyone that know what they doing well my shop in Il. was Meisners Precision Alignment & brake ! yes I still alive for are wonder what happen to me well the heart doctor mess me up but got away from him and doing great now! Bill

Dodge Grand Caravan... At idle vibration... If your gas mileage hasn't dropped and no CEL, then there are only three possibilities:

Busted motor mount. Does the van make a "clunk noise" or "bang sound" when you put it in gear?
Balancer shaft broken... Talk about one in a billion!!
Harmonic balancer, or Flywheel cracked... Also unlikely...