Front-End cargo carrier platform ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
This thread is about sharing how-tos and ideas on how to fabricate a front-end cargo carrier platform for a van, capable of holding a minimum of 500 LBS (like the hitch reciever does on the back of the van). Share pictures of front end platforms that have been built by others, ideas and advice for fabricating one from scratch and on the cheap.  

Since the 2015 RTR I have been thinking about front-end platform to place a generator and other things on for full time living. I thought about installing a 2" reciever to the van frame then mount a standard cargo carrier for the platform.

I recently had the idea "What about a permanent or semi-permanent mount bolted to the iron bumper, can't a iron bumper hold some weight?". Then I imaged the design in my head while sitting infront of the van, with most thought to the mounting. I know I can't weld, and only know one person who can spot weld. "Everything will need to be bolted together" I kept thinking to design with that limitation.

One simple, strong and possibly low cost design I came up is this. Take 2" square hollow steel (the kind that fits in trailer recievers) , and fabricate L forks facing out from the front end, and depending on the load each of 8 carriage bolts can handle, build four of the "L Forks" each directly mounting via long carriage bolts.

The more points being mounted the better, to add redundency incase one bolt decides to snap. imagine two bumper mounting plates with a 2 1/4" square hollow steel tube welded or bolted together. The "L Forks" would drop inside the 2 1/4" (2 1/4 or the inner diameter a 2" hitch reciever has) steel square tubing, so the forks and platform are fully removable if needed.

If stuff on the back platform falls on the highway at speed, it's a road hazard. If stuff on a front end platform falls, depending on weight it could fly up over the rig causing scratches at minimum, or if it's a large genset could fall under the van and cause massive damage to engine, transmission, differential and potentially everything on the underside of the rig. If (most certainly when) I do not have enough money to complete this project, The platform would be the place to skimp. I would use plywood secured to the "L Forks" with zip ties. It is NOT a good idea skimp on the mounting or the "L Forks".

I searched AMAZON for "bumper cargo carrier" and I see there are bolting reciever mounts for RV bumpers? Thought of buying this, and if the van bumper can not support the weight needed, add some cable/rope reinforcement attaching/hooking to a stong point on the vans body/frame. So part bumper supported, part suspended. Is what I described in this paragraph accomplishable?

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-RV-2-...38040596&sr=8-5&keywords=Bumper+Cargo+Carrier
http://www.amazon.com/19100-Travel-...38040596&sr=8-4&keywords=Bumper+Cargo+Carrier

My brother likes to say that if you have access to a machine shop, a welder, and a big enough pile of money, you can build anything.  So it's certainly doable, one way or another.

I've seen off road truck bumpers with a two inch receiver hitch built in.  But something like that wouldn't be cheap.

I have also seen trucks where the owner removed the original bumper and replaced it with a piece of solid wood, something like a 4" by 10" beam, bolted directly to the original bumper's mounting points.  It wouldn't be hard to bolt a couple of those RV bumper hitches to something like that.

Or if you could find a flat steel bumper from a step van in a junkyard, you might cut that down and adapt it to your van.

I do think that the more this thing looks like it was designed by R. Goldberg and Son, Inc. they greater the chance for catastrophic failure.

The only thing I can add is that if you want to hang an extra 500 pounds on your front end, you're going to need heavier front springs to handle the weight.

Regards
John

Is my memory totally screwed up or did Bob have a motorcycle on the front of his van for some time? Or was that back when he had a truck? I'm confused about it and could not find the blog post I "think" I remember.

Someone else here will likely know for sure....

On a class C / Van... Crow not included :D
P3040334.JPG

Might block too much airflow. Probably illegal as it blocks the headlights. Super duty: :dodgy:
CargoBoxes_zps95b4f340.jpg

Fairly good site for materials:
Cargo-Carrier_18152.jpg

I got one of these at Wally World.

Ah! Tapatalk won't post pics tonight...

Bolt on reciever, Google image search really shows an amazing variety. Something could surly work. Honda 2000 is like 68#.... 500??? I don't know about that!

If you Google "Outer Banks Fishing Rigs" most are running a platform in front that carries their ice chests and fishing poles. You can find premade front receivers for many newer 4x4 trucks, but I'm not sure about vans, and I just tried finding one for an '86 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 I bought cheap for work - no dice - will have to fabricate it myself. I use my front receivers mainly for mounting vices, hauling bicycles, and as a tow strap attachment point for pulling people back out of snow banks. If I were to do something like the original poster wants, I think I would mount a receiver off each side of the frame, and then build my platform with 2 tubes based upon that spacing. That way it's still removable, but much more stable. It also should be plenty strong enough even if bolted together, although I would use at least grade 5 bolts rather than the typical hardware store variety. When I haul my KLR on the back receiver - about 400 lbs - I really don't like the way it rocks back and forth. If I'm going very far I usually run a ratchet strap from each side of the motohauler at an angle back to the hitch frame mount to stabilize it. I also wouldn't put much more than a couple hundred lbs on the front, as I think it would greatly effect steering effort and feel.

When I had a Jeep, I wanted to be able to swap the winch front and back, so I mounted the winch on a plate with a tongue to fit a hitch receiver, and I bolted a hitch receiver to the frame on both the front and rear.

I think you already said the best answer - put a hitch receiver on the front. I'm just saying it can be done.

If you really are going to stack 500lbs on there then you'll need some spacers or springs in the front. Measure the height of the front before adding weight. Measure again after. Make up the difference.

TMG51 said:
If you really are going to stack 500lbs on there then you'll need some spacers or springs in the front. Measure the height of the front before adding weight. Measure again after. Make up the difference.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that one.  Spacers will restore the height, but if the springs themselves aren't heavy enough to handle the weight, you will end up BREAKING them.  Probably at the worst possible time.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that one.  Spacers will restore the height, but if the springs themselves aren't heavy enough to handle the weight, you will end up BREAKING them.  Probably at the worst possible time.

Regards
John

Yeah, that's the "or" in "or springs."

Jeep people just space it out. But Jeep people are a different kind of people.

Front end receiver hitches are common and cheap.

Carrying too much weight front up long tern will mess up your front end and do damage.

I do carry my Rebel 250 on a front rack and has no impact on overheating the van. My 1 ton Chevy Express doesn't even know it's there.

However, I only carry it 600 miles a year and if I did it a lot I would expect to pay big bucks on front end work much sooner.

Check out Camper forums, they are common there because you can't block the back door of the camper. RV.net is especially good.
Bob

I put a bolt on receiver on the front of my chevy 1 ton Roadtrek to carry my spare tire.  It does not affect steering or cooling or the headlights.  Just be sure to keep the headlights unobstructed and to allow for airflow to the radiator.  You may have to relocate the license plate to keep it legal (if your state has front license plates).

(http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...ocess/2015-July-27 front end bumper and frame)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...ocess/2015-July-27 front end bumper and frame"></iframe>

This is what the underside of the front-end looks like. Searched for hitch recievers compatible with the van, all of them say they fit the rear. Finding a back-end reciever is easy, what do I look for when browsing online stores to indicate a hitch reciever is compatible being bolted to the -front end- of the van? I looked at buying a Universal hitch reciever from Wal-mart and fitting the pieces until I got something bolting together.

Is the metal behind the bumper (where the broken ditch lights are) strong enough to mount part of the load to?

Here are the things I plan to store on a front-end platform:
-PREDATOR (HARBOR FREIGHT) 3200/4000W generator, 128 lbs (I believe this is the genset weight with oil and a full gas tank).
-Box to reduce noise and obscure above, 20 lbs?
-Several bike locks to lock up above.
-20 lb. propane tank (the standard BBQ tank),
-Two 2 gallon and one 5 gallon gas cans.
-Tote box to lock up the fuels.
-100' extension cord (inside a garden hose spindle if it has space on the platform)

So yes, 500 lbs is what I am aiming for.

Not what you are asking about, but, FWIW, I think you would be better off picking up a small trailer like this 40x48 harbor freight unit and modifying it to your purposes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html

I think you would be far safer pulling something like this than you would be hanging 500 lbs. on the front end of your van.

And as always, free advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

Regards
John

PS:  Some people over on TnTTT seem to use this as the base for teardrop trailers, apparently quite successfully.  I believe this bolts together, but the people over there seem to bolt it up tight and then weld it for strength.

ok here are my thoughts.  500lbs I believe is a little much for coil spring front end.  heavy springs is an option but without that weight on it's going to ride like a bucking horse.  what type of vehicle are we talking.  hint don't use carriage bolts they are non graded(grade 2)  they will shear easily.  I have built many front bumpers so I kinda know what needs to be done.  without a welder you are severely limited.  a hint on the receive square tubing.  the female end that mounts to a vehicle is a special size.  standard square tubing will not work.  you must make sure you get receiver tubing.   the male end  is a standard size.  you can use standard 2" square tubing.   so the long short answer is yes it can be done,  but if you have never tried something like this I would be hesitant to give you a thumbs up.   here's a pic of my home built front bumper.  notice it has 2 recievers built in.
005.JPG
well I have a pintle hitch on one side.  another point your front bumper is like your front frame crossmember.  anything you build must have the same structural characteristics as your factory bumper.   do not ignore the warnings I gave.  bad things like locust will eat your van will happen.  good luck and let us know what you do any question I will gladly help.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Highdesertranger, are carrage bolts are not strong enough for this application?

Can you look at picture named "4-6" in the slideshow, do you see the frame with the steering thing under it (I believe it's part of the steering system)? Is that part strong enough to support half the weight of a platform (bolting onto the parellel van framing as well)?

Using the right nuts and bolts, how much weight can be supported by what is supporting the bumper? I notice the bumper is supported on many points on the van frame, and seeing it's an iron frame, bumper supports, and chromium bumper; I would assume it to be much stronger than necessary to support the bumper (high stregnth ratio, multiple times stronger than it needs to be).

debit.servus said:
So yes, 500 lbs is what I am aiming for.

A few of points for you to think about:

• 500 lbs is like strapping a V8 to your front bumper (Chevy 350 weighs 575 lbf).
  • To carry that much weight, you will be adding more than 200 lbf in structure to the front of your van.
  • That much weight cantilevered off the front is going to greatly affect your steering and braking.
  • Will reduce your GVWR and might exceed the GFWR of your front end.
  • The things you listed will fall down if loose and you will hit them; no chance for avoidance.  Probably cause loss of control, maybe cause fire or explosion (Murphy was an optimist).
 -- Spiff

LeeRevell said:
Do you REALLY think it a good idea to hang eight gallons of gasoline in front of your front bumper........?    :-/
It would be OK when it's in a locked tote box which is really secured down to the platform. 
Spaceman Spiff said:
A few of points for you to think about:

• 500 lbs is like strapping a V8 to your front bumper (Chevy 350 weighs 575 lbf). I am not disputing this.
  • To carry that much weight, you will be adding more than 200 lbf in structure to the front of your van. Do you mean the platform iteself will weigh 200 lbs?
  • That much weight cantilevered off the front is going to greatly affect your steering and braking. Yes it will, how much could it be?
  • Will reduce your GVWR and might exceed the GFWR of your front end. I will have to check the GFVR (Gross Front Vehicle Rating?) today.
  • The things you listed will fall down if loose and you will hit them; no chance for avoidance.  Probably cause loss of control, maybe cause fire or explosion (Murphy was an optimist). Yes, everything on the front end platform would need to be strapped down on multiple points to the platform. 
 -- Spiff

The reason I do not like a plaform on the back is it scrapes when entering/leaving driveways & depending on what is on it, blocks opening the back doors.