Front-End cargo carrier platform ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a front hitch on my Sprinter and carried a generator for about a year when I first got it. No overheating problems but I hated it. I had restictions checking the fluids under the hood.

I mounted a Harbor Freight Universal Bumper receiver hitch to the bottom of the front bumper of my Dodge B150 van. I have it mounted with 3 or 4 bolts right now, but think I can drill out 5 or six altogether and it may be stable. My heavy bike rack had too much leverage on it. I may trial it with ratchet straps. I dunno. I mounted a ball to the front and shunted a little aluminum fishing boat around with it. The rear hitch is way sturdier.

Almost There said:
There are swing hitch platforms available so that you can access the back doors without removing the platform.
I did a search for this and found one, at http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Option-...659&sr=8-1&keywords=swing+hitch+cargo+carrier . It says "Please note the carrier must be unloaded for proper Swing Away operation. ", which means every time I want full access to the back doors I would need to unload the platform. This would negate any benefit of having a platform not to mention I would still have the scraping issue.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
For some reason the idea of carrying gas cans on the front of a moving vehicle at bumper level just strikes me as a really bad idea.  For whatever that random thought is worth.
Where else would the gas go? I guess I should sell the van to buy an armored box able to withstand a 70 mph front end collision just to store the gensets gasoline.
frankieC55 said:
I mounted a Harbor Freight Universal Bumper receiver hitch to the bottom of the front bumper of my Dodge B150 van. I have it mounted with 3 or 4 bolts right now, but think I can drill out 5 or six altogether and it may be stable. My heavy bike rack had too much leverage on it. I may trial it with ratchet straps. I dunno.  I mounted a ball to the front and shunted a little aluminum fishing boat around with it. The rear hitch is way sturdier.
I searched HFTs site and couldn't find it. I think what you are describing is one of the products I shared in my OP.

Aside from a Front-End platform or Front-End generator mounting, I have the idea of acquiring metal cabinets/lockers and bolting/securing them to the back doors, one with enough room inside for the HONDA EU2000 watt generator I plan to eventually own. The cabinets/lockers would be strong enough to hold at least a couple hundred pounds each. The rear doors would be unobstructed (leaving plently of space to reach the back door handle) These cabinets/lockers would hold gas cans and a propane tank.

Sure it would add a couple feet to the total legnth of the van, but it would allow me to carry a genset everywhere with plenty of fuel for it. I could run the generator inside the cabinet, and if theres space even put some foam in to dampen vibrations and noise. Also I imagine the left (operator side) cabinet/locker surrounding the rear window to hide a window AC (because I can't afford a portable AC) plus cover up the spare tire with room for more. Of course the cabinet/locker enclosing the AC and genset would be fully vented for maximum efficiency and safety.

debit.servus said:
I did a search for this and found one, at http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Option-...659&sr=8-1&keywords=swing+hitch+cargo+carrier . It says "Please note the carrier must be unloaded for proper Swing Away operation. ", which means every time I want full access to the back doors I would need to unload the platform. This would negate any benefit of having a platform not to mention I would still have the scraping issue.

That swing carrier is meant specifically for hauling mobility scooters not cargo. Here's a link to a cargo carrier that swings away. There is no mention of having to unload it to swing it out.
https://www.stowaway2.com/swing-away-hitch-frame.aspx

Aside from a Front-End platform or Front-End generator mounting, I have the idea of acquiring metal cabinets/lockers and bolting/securing them to the back doors, one with enough room inside for the HONDA EU2000 watt generator I plan to eventually own. The cabinets/lockers would be strong enough to hold at least a couple hundred pounds each. The rear doors would be unobstructed (leaving plenty of space to reach the back door handle) These cabinets/lockers would hold gas cans and a propane tank.

After having had a spare tire carrier mounted on a back door of a van I can attest to the fact that none of the doors and their hinge assemblies are manufactured with a strength factor strong enough to support any cabinet/lockers built on to the back doors.

While you certainly can build the cabinets/lockers strong enough to hold a couple of hundred pounds, the weight limitation is going to be in the doors and the hinges themselves.

Sure it would add a couple feet to the total length of the van, but it would allow me to carry a genset everywhere with plenty of fuel for it. I could run the generator inside the cabinet, and if there's space even put some foam in to dampen vibrations and noise. Also I imagine the left (operator side) cabinet/locker surrounding the rear window to hide a window AC (because I can't afford a portable AC) plus cover up the spare tire with room for more. Of course the cabinet/locker enclosing the AC and genset would be fully vented for maximum efficiency and safety.

A window A/C unit in the same compartment as the gas can and generator is just asking for the fumes from them to be brought in to the inside of the van. Similarly, having the generator running inside a closed compartment that also has air intake facilities for the A/C unit is bound to have some very dangerous fumes from the generator being allowed to enter the van. Neither is a good idea!

I have a stowaway on my van. It can be swung open while fully loaded (200 pounds, is what I was told) .
I haven't had any problems with it in the 4-5 years it's been in use, other than the lock. I bought one replacement, and then, due to really loose workings, they replaced that one, no questions asked. On MY Astrovan, the bulk of it does not allow my right door to open fully, which as not been a problem: I keep a couple of pieces of 2x4 to hold that door open.
There are a few options: closed box, rack, grilling station, i think they call it. Years ago I carried my bicycle on the bumper between the stowaway and the back doors, attached to the box via two ratcheting tie-downs around them both.
Due to my space limitations I was thinking of adding a front hitch and carrier for either a bike or O2 tanks. Bike is about 100 pounds and 8 E tanks would be about that. For a bike, I would have to have a ramp to it now...

the best swing away carriers are made for the off road crowd. they are very expensive, but can handle anything you can fit on them. including jerry cans, a generator, and a spare tire. they make the swing aways for jeeps, pick-ups, and vans. they can be opened fully loaded and would swing enough to open you doors. if you are handy and can weld you can build one yourself, all the major components are available for the DIY people. if it was me i would build my own on the rear bumper. I have the links for the parts if you are interested. highdesertranger

Wouldn't I still have scraping with a swing away cargo carrier? The van has over 4 feet of backend from the back wheels, scraping on super steep driveways even without anything attached to the rear reciever.

debit.servus said:
Wouldn't I still have scraping with a swing away cargo carrier? The van has over 4 feet of backend from the back wheels, scraping on super steep driveways even without anything attached to the rear reciever.

Not necessarily.

Stowaway, for example, offers a platform with a 7" rise that will bring the bottom of the platform up.

Custom can go even higher.

I have to question though, how steep a grade you're hanging up on now! Is he back end overloaded or are the rear springs weak.

debit wrote,  "Wouldn't I still have scraping with a swing away cargo carrier?"  no.  hear are some pics to illustrate.
tire carrier.jpg

tire.jpg

tire.1.jpg

you can build these in any configuration you want.  the stronger pivots are rated at over 1,500/2,000lbs.  not that you want to hang  that much weight off the back.  but they do make for a nice solid rack/swing.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• tire carrier.jpg
    tire carrier.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 15
  • tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 10
  • tire.1.jpg
    tire.1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
I can't imagine how you could be scraping that much. I've never scraped the back of any van I've ever owned.
Bob

It is something to consider. I have scraped the bottom 2 times in all the time it's been in use. Though I use the same area, I now go at a slight angle to avoid scraping. I added the wheels that come with it (Very small) but they aren't needed except to roll it to storage probably.
Before buying, maybe attach a plastic pipe, or 1x2 at the appropriate heigth and distance in front and see how it works. It extends from the rear bumper of the astrovan right at 30". Bottom of box is a tad under 20" from paved driveway, bottom of wheels is just under 14", as is the bolt that allows the swing. The frame that holds the box is, the frame is just under 16". After deciding if it will work, talk to the company with your questions. They may already know, and I would guess they will discourage a box on front, but the rack may work for you, or even just the frame itself.
The one I have is on the back, not front.

I suppose I should clarify " the wheels that come with it (Very small)"  the wheels  ARE small, but the supports are about 5 ". I'll measure tomorrow. :p

VanGirl said:
I had a front hitch on my Sprinter and carried a generator for about a year when I first got it. No overheating problems but I hated it. I had restictions checking the fluids under the hood.
Do you remember how the front-end reciever was mounted? Was it a manufactured hitch reciever? I have no problem spending a couple hundred FRN$ on a specialized front-end 2" hitch reciever if I know it will fit the van. I do not want to go back and forth buying and returning non-fitting hitch recievers in an attempt to save a buck. Can somebody link to me (I have web searched it about a dozen times) a hitch reciever that fits the front-end of a 1986 DODGE B250 van with 5.2L carburated engine? Interchange possiblities welcome. 

highdesertranger said:
debit wrote,  "Wouldn't I still have scraping with a swing away cargo carrier?"  no.  hear are some pics to illustrate.

you can build these in any configuration you want.  the stronger pivots are rated at over 1,500/2,000lbs.  not that you want to hang  that much weight off the back.  but they do make for a nice solid rack/swing.  highdesertranger
I thought you were talking about the stowaway reciever mounted cargo carrier. This must cost a fourtune even for generic/universal rack/swing. Are the mounting points for this rack/swing near the hinges for a typical van back door? This looks even better than my back door mounted lockers/cabinets. Plus I could nest things like the back tire when the rack/swing is closed.
akrvbob said:
I can't imagine how you could be scraping that much. I've never scraped the back of any van I've ever owned.
Bob
The hitch reciever on the back-end is 15-18" from the ground on a flat driveway, I am sure if I had a foot more overhang from the back wheels I would be scraping with nothing inside the hitch reciever. I am reluctant at this point for permanently attaching any reciever platform on the back end, even with a rise. If I had money I would try the durable back-end swing-arm out (with a rise of at least 6")

The reason I desire the generator on the front-end versus the back is the generator right now is the noisy Harbor Freight 3200 watt 4-stroke genset. So when I would run it (away from people as much as I could) I could sleep without much disturbance (say to have A/C while sleeping).

The cost of getting the van weighed while regularly loaded is cheaper than having a front-end suspension breakdown due to extra weight, yet I can't find a truck/RV scale here in San Jose.  I searched YAHOO for "truck scales San Jose" and didn't find a weight scale. Are there places where I can get the van weighed for free or under $10? Many places have scales for weighing cars and trucks but don't specifically offer to weigh the rig.

To update I am looking at other things that would be stored on the vans exterior like seasonal storage & a 3 gallon air compressor. I will need this kind of external van space for 2 unblown van tires (The van got 3 new knobby tires with thick sidewalls and I kept 2 unblown tires from the van) when I travel Yukon and the Northwest Territories.

For all the stuff & equipment I plan to keep when I go fulltime I will need a lockable storage trailer. A lockable storage trailer is WAY cheaper than a storage unit over the long term. For another thread...

It may look like I am all over the place bouncing around between different ideas, however I am exploring all avenues for front or back-end external storage ideas.

debit.servus said:
... I searched YAHOO for "truck scales San Jose" and didn't find a weight scale. Are there places where I can get the van weighed for free or under $10? Many places have scales for weighing cars and trucks but don't specifically offer to weigh the rig.

Try 'public scale', 'CAT scale', 'truck scale'.  Costs ~$10.  San Jose should have lots of them.  Could try recycling places, although they will only give gross vehicle weight, not axle weights or individual tire weights like a CAT scale.

For all the stuff & equipment I plan to keep when I go fulltime I will need a lockable storage trailer. A lockable storage trailer is WAY cheaper than a storage unit over the long term. For another thread...

You might want to think about downsizing.

-- Spiff

Go see post #49 in this thread. What are those mounted things called exactly?

I could fashion a set in the near future, because I am learning to build a woodgasification system.

Debit, well they are basically called, "rear bumper swing out tire carrier". if you plan to build your own I have some links for components. there are a few companies out there that make them but they are pricy. if you are planning on building one I can give you some pointers. highdesertranger

Nice! The spare tire is actually mounted on the back door in the same fashion as a swing-out tire carrier. As for building a custom one, I don't think I have the money for even the materials.

Would it be a good idea to acquire a second tire carrier for the passenger side rear-door, and modifying it into a set of outdoor shelves?

I understand the issue with van doors not designed for holding weight, I am using the inside of the vans side doors as storage compartments. and the doors can still freely open and close albeit with some squeaking. Try that with a plastic composite door! There was an window A/C intalled the rear window above the spare tire with no issues! The A/C probably weighed 40 pounds, so I find it hard to believe that the rear doors can't hold a couple hundred pounds each and still open and close.

I am still evaulating the various options. I am leaning on acquiring a couple large metal lockers to bolt onto each rear door, one large enough to carry the large 3200w HFT genset I already have. The other to carry a standard 20lb BBQ propane tank, a couple of 5 gallon gas cans plus other stuff. I plan to build a quiet box for the loud HFT genset, that can integrate with whatever exterior van cargo carrier I decide on. It is really all about the money for me right now. If I had more income, these mods and upgrades could be happening faster.