Front bumper replacement?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
Question for you mechanical/body shop folks...  Previous owner rolled the van into a metal post and put a pole shaped dent in the front chrome bumper.  I found replacement bumpers online for around $150, any idea how much it would/should cost to have it put on?  Hate walking into a shop blind, tends to make even mostly honest guys see dollar signs.

I have to say, Mike, that sounds awfully low to me.

Labor rates tend to vary around the country - someplace like New York City has to pay a good mechanic more than a shop in west Nowhere does.

Generally, dealerships charge more than independent shops do.

A bumper swap is really simple - just unbolting the old one and bolting the new one in it's place.  You could probably find a guy on Craigslist and it wouldn't be hard for him to do it in your driveway.

Regards
John

How long it takes will also depend on the vehicle and the condition of the bolts (rust comes to mind) that are holding it on.

Not all bumpers are created equal!

Thanks for the replies, I'll check with the independant place I'm checking out tomorrow.

I'm hoping minimal rust, it spent it's first 13 years in ABQ and the last three in TX, so fingers crossed.

I stand corrected,.

The rate of $80 to $100 an hour is based off of several national labor guides that are published annually. The guides survey mechanics all around the country to come up with figures and average times to do repairs.

Mike R

gsfish said:
If you buy a bumper that has already been pulled from the vehicle be sure to measure it to be sure it will match your setup.

Guy

Yeah, this is why I end up paying someone to work on my vehicles, never occurred to me a replacement might not be the same size.  Wish my dad had been a mechanic rather than a carpenter... I can only build so many bookcases.   :p

What make and year van?   Earlier are easy, usually four bolts.  Newer vans have plastic trim and overlays, and maybe airbag sensor?

ah ha Lee, my thoughts exactly about the air bags, if your vehicle has air bags make sure who ever does the work knows what they are doing. it is also true the older the vehicle the simpler the exchange. so without seeing your exact vehicle I would not want to guess. if you could post a pic plus answer the air bag question along with the year make and model I could give you a more accurate estimate. highdesertranger

yeah that's a great price but it must be truck shipped so that's going to add to the price. highdesertranger

i work in the autobody industry myself. average rate is around $40hour. at body shops. mechanical shops are upwards of $100 hour. most rv locations charge a higher rate as well because the accesories tend to add mor time. n they charge a higher rate. larger body shops are usually about production n dont care to take time for minor replacements esp. if your supplying the part. they want markup on cost of parts. so u recomebd going with the smaller body shop. those bumper are very simply designed. the pain will be most likely rust. i suggest spraying some pb blaster on the bolts. i would look under the van with a flash light yourself. n become familiar with what bolt are holding it on. you might find that its only a handful of bolts. thus you may be motivated to tackle it yourself. any ?s you may have your more than welcome to message me.

Latest posts